Home

Existing Players Not Knowing Playbook

This is a discussion on Existing Players Not Knowing Playbook within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
Existing Players Not Knowing Playbook

Why do existing players have no knowledge of the playbook after you cut them? I had ROLB: M. Greenwood on my team, and was cut in the beginning of the season. 5 weeks later my rookie ROLB is injured and out for the season. So I pick up Greenwood in FA. I go to check his play knowledge and he has none. It says unlearn?!?!?!?

Why would Greenwood not know his own playbook? He knew it before he was cut 5 weeks ago. This makes no sense at all. NFL teams usually pick up players that have been on the team before because they have a grasp of the playbook, but in this game it means nothing.

Last edited by claystone; 10-04-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Existing Players Not Knowing Playbook

Could be the coachs have a skill to slow down how much a player forgets in the off season ---yours could be low.

Or, his learning curve could be low...if he isn't a smart guy...going to lose it, if you don't use it.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I had a player who had been on my team for 3 years, had a high learning. I could not stomach even the cheapest contract available during his last year. I signed him from free agency as a bargain. He was zeroed out.

He had been a free agent for like 2 months. It was silly.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I imagine it's a computer memory restriction. It should work the way you describe (i.e. he should have lost only a minimal amount of playbook knowledge) but then the game would have to track his playbook knowledge versus practically every playbook in the game. I imagine they just wipe his memory clean at release to prevent having to store all that data for every player, every play, every playbook.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Rookie

This is not much of a data storage limit. After all, We are talking about an 8 bit number and a player number designator.

At any time, there are probably 53x2x32 players (assume number of players in free agency equal to entire NFL). Let's say you have 16 bits as the limit of player designation number. So, allow 32 bits for an entry.

So with 3328 active players, and 32 bits per player, for each of 64 playbooks (assume there are 32 inactive playbooks). The entire database can be implemented in 6.5 MB.

So, if you make the player identifiers and values 32 bits each, it is still only 13 MB.

The fact is they want to punish your for letting a player go to free agency and resigning him. What gets my goat -- I don't have a chance to do this with restricted free agents! I cannot sign them to long-term deals to keep them off the market.

Grr.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRaider
This is not much of a data storage limit. After all, We are talking about an 8 bit number and a player number designator.

At any time, there are probably 53x2x32 players (assume number of players in free agency equal to entire NFL). Let's say you have 16 bits as the limit of player designation number. So, allow 32 bits for an entry.

So with 3328 active players, and 32 bits per player, for each of 64 playbooks (assume there are 32 inactive playbooks). The entire database can be implemented in 6.5 MB.

So, if you make the player identifiers and values 32 bits each, it is still only 13 MB.

The fact is they want to punish your for letting a player go to free agency and resigning him. What gets my goat -- I don't have a chance to do this with restricted free agents! I cannot sign them to long-term deals to keep them off the market.

Grr.
wow you sound smart

I think most of us on the forum agree that the play knowledge/practice system could use some changes. Personally, I actually think they had it right in HC06. You chose the plays you practiced and then you practiced individual players also and their knowledge gain varied by what kinds of practices you ran. (1on1 7on7 off/def)

I understand that they took that out because of the monotony , but that is part of being a head coach.

I don't envy developers always having to make these decisions of whether to put something in the game that is reflective but not entertaining or to leave it out for entertainment value for the "average" player.

That responsibility lies with us however, to let them know (and it is amazing the devs are on this forum ) that we want the realism even if it is boring.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
wow you sound smart

I think most of us on the forum agree that the play knowledge/practice system could use some changes. Personally, I actually think they had it right in HC06. You chose the plays you practiced and then you practiced individual players also and their knowledge gain varied by what kinds of practices you ran. (1on1 7on7 off/def)

I understand that they took that out because of the monotony , but that is part of being a head coach.

I don't envy developers always having to make these decisions of whether to put something in the game that is reflective but not entertaining or to leave it out for entertainment value for the "average" player.

That responsibility lies with us however, to let them know (and it is amazing the devs are on this forum ) that we want the realism even if it is boring.
I wouldn't mind the way nfl2k5 ran their practice sessions. We set what we want them to do for the week and let it sim.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Rookie

Its the little things in this game like this that need more polishing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »