Home

Spoiler - Jack English Draft Guide

This is a discussion on Spoiler - Jack English Draft Guide within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Spoiler - Jack English Draft Guide

EG, I was looking at your draft guide last night and there was 1 player I didn't see, so I'll mention it here
Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 7

Thanks for the tip. I've added him to my latest (and upgraded!) version; I'll post it someday soon, though probably not in this thread. *plots and schemes*
Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Jack English Draft Path
2009 Jack English QB Stanford Draft
2010 Flash Gorden WR LSU Draft
2011 Quincy Simms DT Miami FL Draft
2012 Marcus Morris QB UCLA Draft
2013 Ace Garrison QB Texas Draft
2014 Sugar and Spice the two UCLA runningbacks Draft
2015 Kaven Duncan QB Nevada Draft
2016 Wisconsin DE forget his name but he is an elite DE from Wisconsin Draft
2017 Dante Griffey RB Texas draft
2018 Has two Penn State Defensive Lineman
2019 Tyler Parker QB Alabama Draft

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 26

The Kicker-Fresno State in this draft has 99 Kicking Power, better than Serna. He'd be ideal for kickoffs and long FGs if you carry a 2nd kicker on the team.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #29
Pro

English 2009 Draft v10

Not exactly all-new, but significantly improved: now with a full column of notes for (almost) every draft-worthy player.

Review: If your team is terrible in the first year of your career, this is the draft where you can turn it around instantly - and if you have a good team, it's a draft where you become virtually unstoppable. There's talent everywhere, in multiple rounds and at nearly every position. For players with Balanced POT at or above 90, the breakdown is:

QB: Four, including sleeper Jake Scott
HB: One, sleeper Leron James
FB: One, Casey Barone
WR: Six, with three sleepers including Jamarion Bellows
TE: One, sleeper Drew Goldman
OT: Two, LT Javon Jackson and RT [Bowling Green]
OG: Three, LG [Ole Miss] and RG Patrick Boma and [Auburn]
C: One, [Northwestern]
DE: Two, Raevon Hines and [UNLV] with a near-miss in [M. Valley State]
DT: Two, Alain Dixon and sleeper Patrick Lopez
OLB: Four, Devin Mayo, Torian Watts, sleeper Dexter Knox and [Buffalo]
MLB: Two, Mack Jackson and Alonzi Simms
CB: One, Juran Riley
FS: One, sleeper [Oregon State]
SS: One, Will Barkley
K: One, [Fresno State]

That's 33 players with elite ceilings: a huge haul, and at least thirteen sleepers among them. The biggest short-coming is in defensive backs, especially corners: only Riley is elite material. My workaround for that is to sign SS [Florida State] as a UDFA and convert him to CB for a year: in my latest career he's playing nickel for me, behind Riley and Asomugha.

At QB, the only thing I don't think you'll find here is a purpose-built scrambler. Otherwise, they've got you covered, even in the late rounds with Scott: four very good pocket passers, all with enough size and arm to make the throws you want made. I've seen drafts where one of the Big Three even slips into the early portion of the second round, so you don't necessarily need a top-10 pick to get Morrow or James.

At HB, James is the obvious star of the show, but he does tend to have fast-halfback syndrome - so I avoided him in my current career. My picks to add behind my existing backs of Ryan Grant and Ray Rice were [Temple] and [Harvard], both of whom have the personalities to be good backups as well as the skills to be spot-starters or in a Running-Back-By-Committee arrangement. [Temple] needs some physical development, but can become a capable role-player; [Harvard] has only average learning, so you'll need to have excellent coaches or limits on his packages for a monster playbook. Both are easy to re-sign.

Barone is a great and versatile player at FB: runner, blocker, catcher, he can be anything from a HB to a (short) TE. It's difficult to find something at which he's not at least good, and he has the learning ability to be on the field at all times.

The WRs offer significantly different skills among the six. Crosby is a huge possession WR (CIT 98) who can't get off the jam - if he plays outside against a lot of Tampa-2 he'll be in trouble, but he'd be awesome as a big #3 WR. He's Earl Bennett plus 3" and 20lbs, and Earl can ball pretty well. The other tall WR is [Kansas], who is much more of a vertical threat, as in speed-merchant: his jumping ability will cause safeties to miscalculate deep pass trajectories too often in zone coverage and lead to some long gains. Bellows is a shorter version of [Kansas], while also offering studly PR/KR skills. [UNLV] is a medium-sized fellow with a relatively high CIT, also very capable in the slot and smart enough to learn larger playbooks. Last (and IMO least) are the short receivers from [Michigan] and [Rutgers] who are all about speed but will drop too many (low CIT) unless all they get is man coverage.

Drew Goldman reminds me a little of Mark Chmura: good blocker, adequate but not amazing speed, good hands, and a tough SOB. There are better TEs coming in future years, but (especially) if you run a balanced offense, he's a nice addition to the skill set for a few seasons.

The top two offensive tackles have small concerns: in Jackson's case they are speed and agility, while in [Bowling Green]'s case they are speed and learning. While massive and powerful, Javon's just not that fast on his feet (SPD 65, AGL 56(?)); [Bowling Green]'s speed is even lower (61) and his learning is only good, topping out at 86. Both are master technicians and sized well, though - if your coaching staff is good enough to get Speed upgrades through special skills, both should perform well for you.

The top guards are definitely worth your while, as is the top center. Beyond being a cinch to sign, [Ole Miss] is strong, fast and technically sound; he has minor durability issues most years. The elder Boma is a run-first butt-kicker and name-taker, only slightly less than all-world in pass protection techniques. [Northwestern]'s ACL won't wow you, but that's about the only hole in his game.

On the defensive line, Raevon Hines is your (Reggie White/Bruce Smith/Simeon Rice/Jared Allen) highly-capable LE, but you'll typically need a top-five pick to land him and he'll be expensive to sign or to keep. Alain Dixon is another top-five player with significant skills for a DT. In the bargain aisle, Patrick Lopez is a smaller and lower-key Albert Haynesworth, while [M. Valley State] is a miniature end with minimal agility and maximum strength/speed who powers through both right tackles and quarterbacks with some expertise.

In linebackers, Mayo gets injured a lot but has high toughness, so if you want to develop a trainer, he's a good man to get. Knox and Watts bring different things to the LOLB spot, and I'd recommend Knox: Watts is shorter and has a higher LRN, which generally means he's not quite as athletic as Knox and will make a worse matchup against TEs. Both Jackson and Simms are awesome MLBs; as the taller player in pass coverage, my vote again goes to Simms.

ROLB [Buffalo], like RE [SE Missouri St.], is a developmental player in the maximum sense of the word. He's got the size you want in a 3-4 rush linebacker, but has only the potential for success due to his low athleticism. Unlike most players, his basic physical skills can mature radically, turning him into a ridiculously good player, on the DeMarcus Ware level. You'll need coaches with high levels in LB Physical skills, and probably the Innovator special skill, to grow him up and make him useful. High ceiling, low starting point.

The best DBs are quite good, but not awe-inspiring. Juran Riley: good speed, great hands, smart, hits hard. Lack of elite speed is the only liability. Prince Justin has: height; Ed Reed-class hands, but not the hitting power; good, not elite, AGL; and his learning is only good. Still, a great center fielder. [Oregon State] has higher learning but lower strength, better hitting power and is shorter - he'd be better in run support or with a bigger playbook. I have yet to draft Will Barkley, but I've never seen any major issues with his abilities; [Northwestern] is short at 5'10", so having him match up in man coverage on big WRs or TEs will be a problem.

The biggest distinguishing feature of this class is how many MaxLRN 99 there are. Riley, Dixon, James, Watts, Jackson, English, and Bellows all max out, which make them great for coaches with less-than-stellar play-learning skills or with large playbooks: they'll master whatever they practice. There's another four players with MaxLRN 98, including Lopez and Mayo: a wealth of players who can master pretty much whatever plays you want.

Players with Balanced POT >=90: 33
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 13

As with a draft class like the English class, there are a few ground rules I follow. They apply to all classes, but are really important because of the talent pool. First off, all but a few of these players are gonna contribute early, which is why a staff with an emphasis on learning is very good to have. They may have 99 speed and 95 catching, but it won't matter if they don't know whats going on. Playbook learning is very vital in this game.

In the first and 2nd round, don't overdraft! I learned this by doing many drafts. As a rule of thumb, players shouldn't be taken later than 10 picks ahead of where they are on the default board. This usually applies to the first round only, sometimes the second. Another rule of thumb is the two players philosophy (Or in the case of 09 English, the 3 QB philosophy). Unless you have your heart set on someone, perhaps English or Kemp in 2010, wait until one superstar goes to get the other. This is vital to help control your cap.

For example, I was doing the 09 English draft, and I wished I needed a QB (I had picked up Brohm). English went #3, and then the fun started. Morrow and James kept falling. At #9, the Lions came up. They weren't in dire need of a QB, so they picked up someone else. More teams kept passing until I was up at 23. Neither went until the second round when James went 34 (Detroit) and Morrow went 37 or 38. If I had been in need of a QB, I would have overdrafted by this draft, instead of waiting to snatch up the third.

TL;DR
Long story short, if there are two or more superstars slated to go early (Super3QBs, Kemp and Gilbert, Sugar and Spice) wait until one goes to get the other.

Another rule I have is during the later rounds, I know lots of sleepers. Not trying to cheat the system too much, I generally wait until the player of my desire is within 10 spots of my pick on the default board. In laymans terms, if James is 130 on the default board, I will wait until 120 to get him. I throw this rule out if and only if I can't trade down or it happens to be the 7th round and Bellows is all the way at 350 (The lowest).

On a side note, the English Path happens to be my favorite. Not because of the players (Although UNLV is amazing for talent), but because 7 or 8 years down the road, they implement a playoff in College. I'm not sure who won (I think Texas) but it's pretty cool to hear Schefter to talk about it.

I will likely be doing more guides for this Path (Though they are starting in 2017 or 2018, but it's cool to see the talent in the later years, especially if you are going to be going to another team).

I love this Game!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #31
Pro

Jack English (2009) Draft Guide

Final version I hope I will ever post to this board - not necessarily because it's awesome, but because I believe it's DONE.
Attached Files
File Type: zip English 2009 Draft v3.xls.zip (1.41 MB, 152 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »