Home

Screen Passes

This is a discussion on Screen Passes within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Screen Passes

In my experience, screens passes, and pitch and toss runs are hopeless. I can have the learning maximized, which results in the screen going off. It does not result in more than a 1-yard gain.

That is much better than the pitch and toss plays. Those are guaranteed to lose 3-5 yards.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

while I sometimes lose 3 or 4 on toss plays I still run 1 or 2 a game because they sometimes lead to big runs and touchdowns
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRaider
In my experience, screens passes, and pitch and toss runs are hopeless. I can have the learning maximized, which results in the screen going off. It does not result in more than a 1-yard gain.

That is much better than the pitch and toss plays. Those are guaranteed to lose 3-5 yards.
Ive found the strong side toss out of the goal line to be nearly a TD every time from around the 3 yard line (NOT the weak side toss though)

and Ive had some success with the outside toss out of the I as well, if you can break the cb's tackle

Unlike most madden games ive played, ive found the tosses and sweeps to be very risky but high payoff, theres a big chance to lose 3 yards but there is a chance to break a 35 yard run too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 10

I can run the toss/pitch if the TE gets the block. If not it will be a loss. Runing inside seems about right with me. Counters on the otherhand I can't run...the DT always gets my QB before the handoff.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You need to get the play learned, or mastered. The screen plays that I have that my team knows very well, I am very succesful with.
I agree. They don't work the way they are supposed to -- the QB holds the ball too long -- but they do work sometimes if mastered. It seems that the QB tries to hold the ball until he faces the threat of getting hit, then throws it. I've used the HB screen and also the WR screen to pretty good effect. If I don't get nailed right away on a blitz it can produce a big gain.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
Rookie

CurlyJefferson's Arena

OVR: 2

I do get sacked on screens from time to time, but the biggest problem I have is that the QB seems to wait until there is a defender in the throwing lane before he throws the ball, and the pass often gets knocked down. But when I do get the ball to the back, it often results in a big gain, so I still run them.

I have run WR screens too, and have had moderate success.

Toss plays are mostly useless though. That I will agree on.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Screen Passes JOSH?

Can Josh let us know if Screens are broken like in Madden 08? My forst attempt with a RB screen had my RB wide open and (just like in Madden 08) the QB stood like a stautue and refuse to throw the ball...eventually getting sacked. Same happened to the WR screen play. Just no throw. I don't want to waste my time learning aplay that is broke. In Madden 08 I just avoided using screens. Madden 09...finally fixed real well for the better!
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »