Home

Your thoughts on Jack English

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on Jack English within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Your thoughts on Jack English

First, some may say that asking others their feelings about a player is taking the fun out of the draft. I disagree. I call it scouting...which I've done a lot of in game. I know English is one of the best QB's in the game on paper. I look at this like the Belicheck-Saban relationship (SAVE THE CHEATER JOKES!!!! :P)

I started a career pre-season as the KC Chiefs (they start with 2 first round draft picks). My strategy was draft D with pick 5 and trade 17 for a first rounder next season, with the hopes of a franchise QB draft. I traded 17 to the Raiders for a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2009. I've played 6 weeks and
I've gone 3-2 with a bye (my passing game is run by Josh Johnson and it STINKS, but I can run the ball well enough to win), and the Raiders are 1-5.

Assuming things continue in this manner, I would finish around 9-6 (mid round) and Oakland would be about 4-12(top 5). If I don't get the first pick, should I trade up? If I do get the first pick, should I take English or go for one of the other Great QB's (Morrow, James, Scott) in this '84esq draft and use pick one for another prospect (Javon Jackson for example).

Fatigue makes cowards of us all.
Vince Lombardi
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Your thoughts on Jack English

I have played with both marrow and english. I liked both and marrow is a pretty good deal later on. Kelly isnt really that good of a deal in my opinion because he is no better than Scott and Scott can be had much later. Scott is definatly the best value but it really depends on what you are looking for. I would say it whereas you could consider English to be like a peyton manning, has all the tools and is pretty much the man.
Marrow could be more like brees maybe, great accuracy, a great quarterback, definatly good enough to win (in real life he has trouble with this because of the D but he is still a great QB) may not be as great as peyton but can outplay him on occasion. Scott I have never played with but I would think of him probably as like a romo level player, good but not going to lead a team to greatness without a lot of weapons.
It all depends on how great of a QB you need and what you are willing to spend
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Rookie

Americas Team1's Arena

OVR: 10

Scott I have never played with but I would think of him probably as like a romo level player, good but not going to lead a team to greatness without a lot of weapons.

It all depends on how great of a QB you need and what you are willing to spend[/quote]

Kind of like P.Manning,E.Manning or any of the greats?You need to have good players around you to be good its a team sport.I didnt add Brady cause the pats cheated to win the SBs.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

I always break it down like this:

Spoiler
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
Rookie

CurlyJefferson's Arena

OVR: 2

My thoughts:
Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I found that English is sort of a nasty manbeast, he eats your cap space pretty hard a few years down, but if you're rebuilding and needing a franchise QB, the guy just eats your playbook up.
I use the Chiefs, and he's -seriously- a five win upgrade off Croyle as a rookie.

That said, the English draft is one of those where I psych myself out...I get all flustered in that if I don't get one of the "Big 3" my entire career will be in the toilet. They when they disappear as I fill more value needs, I think..."Okay, Scott is there." Then when he suddenly disappears, I panic.
Spoiler

There is one quirky little thing I've discovered. I didn't scout Morrow at all, not his school, not individual workout...and Potts hadn't developed Major School insider...
And Morrow slipped to the beginning of round 2 for me to grab. Easily the most value in a pick you can hope for.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team1

Kind of like P.Manning,E.Manning or any of the greats?You need to have good players around you to be good its a team sport.I didnt add Brady cause the pats cheated to win the SBs.
I dont know about that, maybe as far as actually winning games, but brees has played great with not a lot of talent these past couple weeks. His bad games he still tops 200 yards and his good games he kills people, compared with romo who I think would fall apart without a great running game and great recievers.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Rookie

Americas Team1's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I dont know about that, maybe as far as actually winning games, but brees has played great with not a lot of talent these past couple weeks. His bad games he still tops 200 yards and his good games he kills people, compared with romo who I think would fall apart without a great running game and great recievers.
But Brees has been a starter for 7 years and Romo 1. give Romo 1-2 more years and he will be top 2-3 easy. And the Cowboys havent had a great run game this year. He's better than ppl would like to admit but I guess that comes with being a undrafted FA Being the Cowboys QB

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »