Home

What to do to get your running game going

This is a discussion on What to do to get your running game going within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What to do to get your running game going

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
It's cheap, but for those who average 3 yards a carry or less, and desperately need a boost, can always call the QB Sneak play with your HB (you can quick-sub your HB for the QB, so that the HB takes the snap and starts running through the hole). This is one of those cheat plays that can usually pop 4.5 yards a carry, even with a mediocre back.
Definitely puts the 'sneak' in QB Sneak....I like it!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

It really helps in controlling the clock at the end of games, just when it seems the computer becomes unstoppable.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 12

You can completely edit your own play books. I have done it for 6 different teams (note: you can't do it while already on a career). Just go to edit/create playbooks and go to "by play type" and than "standard pass"(I prefer to check here since I seem to find more formations) or any of the running type of plays. You will see that there are are certain formations that your playbook doesn't already have. After you added a new play from a different formation (lets say a fullhouse passing play) go back to "by formation" and you will see a new tab with the new formation (in this case the fullhouse). When you click on the tab you can see a list of all the possible plays from that formation. I used to use a modified version of the Steelers Smash Mouth with a ton of running formations but I found out that the lack of play action plays or quick passes killed me. So I dumped that playbook and went and looked for the I formation, not the one that has the 2 WRs but the one that has 2 TE sets, 1 FB and 1 WR, this formation is better than the Steelers Strong or Weak formations (they essentially use the same personnel on the formations with a slightly different looks) because it has A LOT more passing plays out of it and most importantly it has play action plays that I find imperative when I have run first team. Also the Fulhouse formation and the army run(is that the name? can't remember) are really good to have on your playbooks. Play around with the formations that you see and you will eventually find something useful. Personally I find that if I don't have a FB in the backfield with my HB I get little to no yardage. I hope that helps you.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Rookie

goonertaff's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp
The inside counter runnign plays are effective for me, th outside hit or miss, but I mix them in to keep the defense honest. I get 7+ yard gains on counters around LT some games.

For me the issue is screens, the QB just stands there and eats the ball 85% of the time. I just don't even call them even if they are mastered. maybe 1 in a game, 99% of the time is a loss or even a turnover.

Only 1 time can I remember a screen gaining anything more than 2 yards. sad.

ive managed to master a wr screen from a 5wr shotgun which now results in 80% receptions average of 5-6 yards and maybe 3 times a year a big TD
of the 20% failure maybe half are sacks
but in preseason when i installed it maybe ran in 15 times to master it and rarely got any results but did the same with that and a shotgun draw which now works well on 2nd and long and 3rd and long

forgot to mention on WR screens i only use them against zone defences they suck verses man to man
"boss he does nt know who he is!"
"well tell him he's Pele and get him fecking back on"
BFR manager of WBA 1978

Last edited by goonertaff; 12-10-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »