Home

Coaches and how well players do

This is a discussion on Coaches and how well players do within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Coaches and how well players do

I'm curious about something my friends.

I'm on my 3rd season as the Redskins, and over the past few seasons I drafted a few sleeper DB's. One is a CB and the other a SS, both in the mid 90 potential.

Now my DC has a 74 rating, and my DB coach is 99(Jerry Gray I think his name is). Now against the run my defense is awesome, but the pass defense is LUDICROUS. I have a pretty decent defensive line (i got rid of jason taylor..he was always getting hurt), and I got rid of carlos rodgers at CB.

So my CB's are Springs (84 OVR 87 POT) and Cris Carter (90 OVR, 95 POT), and my safties are Laron Landry and Will Barkley, and they just can't play man coverage NOR zone coverage and stop passes. I think Springs has 1 pick all year. It gets me so frustrated. Hell, Matt Schaub of the Texans threw over 400 yards on me and 4 TD's. Blew me away.

The question I have for you fine people is:

Even though my DB coach is 99 rated, think I should fire him or keep him? My DB's are rated well and have good intangible ratings, learning, awareness etc, but they ARENT playing well.

Is it possible to have an above 90 OVR rated positional coach or coordinator and those players still play BAD defensively throughout an entire season? I can understand a bad game or two, but EVERY game I was toasted badly against the pass.

Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Coaches and how well players do

Hmmm....had the same problem with my Viks. #1 against the run, 30th against the pass...with what I thought where very good CB/S's. For me at least, I think it is the defensive play calling. There are more than a few times with it has said 2 WR/2RB/1TE, and the CPU comes out in a 5 WR/4WR set.

Also, I am thinking that the game/AI or what ever you want to call the human side, the DB's just don't play smart. I don't think it has to do with the staff but more of game logic. Seems like the DB's are never in the correct spot, and when their is an Int...it is either tiped or under/over thown.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Pro

moblipeg's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't know what others will say but in the beginning my DB's were doing awful because I couldn't get a pass rush. Even if the cpu has an awful QB, give him ample time and he'll pick you apart. Try not only mixing coverage schemes, but shift your Dline and LB's every so often. I run a cover 2 scheme, blitz light package, but I get a good rush from my line and every so often i'll send an LB. A little pressure goes a long way to getting some picks.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

You need a really good pass rush to make the QB throw early or miss his man. Coverage is better if you gameplan it, but pressure help ALOT for the pass defense.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 15

Yea that has been a problem for me. My DL is decent, but nothing spectacular, and I have a rookie LB (90+ POT), and Brian Urlacher off the FA. Still I have noticed that my pass rush hasn't been all that great. They sure can stop the run though.

All I really wanted was my DB's to play good in man to man...they dont even have to play zone coverage all that well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
I'm curious about something my friends.

I'm on my 3rd season as the Redskins, and over the past few seasons I drafted a few sleeper DB's. One is a CB and the other a SS, both in the mid 90 potential.

Now my DC has a 74 rating, and my DB coach is 99(Jerry Gray I think his name is). Now against the run my defense is awesome, but the pass defense is LUDICROUS. I have a pretty decent defensive line (i got rid of jason taylor..he was always getting hurt), and I got rid of carlos rodgers at CB.

So my CB's are Springs (84 OVR 87 POT) and Cris Carter (90 OVR, 95 POT), and my safties are Laron Landry and Will Barkley, and they just can't play man coverage NOR zone coverage and stop passes. I think Springs has 1 pick all year. It gets me so frustrated. Hell, Matt Schaub of the Texans threw over 400 yards on me and 4 TD's. Blew me away.

The question I have for you fine people is:

Even though my DB coach is 99 rated, think I should fire him or keep him? My DB's are rated well and have good intangible ratings, learning, awareness etc, but they ARENT playing well.

Is it possible to have an above 90 OVR rated positional coach or coordinator and those players still play BAD defensively throughout an entire season? I can understand a bad game or two, but EVERY game I was toasted badly against the pass.

Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated here.
A few thoughts on this topic:

Offensive line pass blocking is insane! I have an incredible DL on my Dolphins team (Poter, Campbell, Davage and Boone) and I still hardly get any preasure on the QB in passing, especially Shotgum formations. So, If the OL blocks that well, I thought I would come at it with a different angle.... I use my DB's on the outside to Blitz and u would not belive how well it works. In my third season with the Fins, I only had 3 teams (out of 16) get more than 300 Total yrds of offense against me using a misture of DB Blitzing and Overloads on one side of the offensive line.

Another thought on this is IF u haven't purchased the Speed Special Skill for both the DC and DB coach then what is happening is your guys are just getting burned on the play. I upgraded these two portions of my coaches and it made a huge difference. Not many more INT's but I did see more deflections.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 12

You need to blitz to get decent pressure. My Bears Dline consist of Adowale Ogunleye (86 potential with 95 finiesse move), Tommi Harries (91 over all 03 potential), Perez (90 over all 93 potential) and Osi Omeyura (90 over all) and I can't get a pass rush from the front 4 a lone. But I do have a MONSTER LB crew with Briggs, Urlacher and Simms who are 91, 93, and 92 overall respectably (I also have another one that is 89 over all and I also have Hillamayer). So when I blitz (specially with urlacher) I cause Havoc very often, forget about running on me as well no RB has gotten 100 yards since.......well I can't remember lol. My secondary is also pfilty with my 2 saties at 90 over all, backup FS at 89, my corners are 91, 80 and 88 repectably themselves as well. So yeah my defense is LOADED, I have to honor the Monsters of the Midway.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Rookie

goonertaff's Arena

OVR: 5

Im in year 3 of my dolphins franchise and ive currently got C cambell RE A Haynesworth NT And a super rookie LE

plus Terrel SuggsROLB Rookie MLB Patrick Willis MLB and PorterLOLB as my 4 LBs
got the original cbs 80-74 for starters and nickle plus 80 rated FS and chirs Horton now 79 SS

in other words all pro front seven and scubs in the secondary
and im ranked 1st verses the run and 12th verses the pass

against ok to good QBs i can shut down the passing game against manning or brady i get ripped if i play my standard defense of high pressure high blitzs zones

it comes down to how quick the qb can read what your doing and how good his choices are. but then i built the team to be a high energy blitzing monster I mean my starting d line weighs 1015lbs in a 3-4 lol
"boss he does nt know who he is!"
"well tell him he's Pele and get him fecking back on"
BFR manager of WBA 1978

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »