Home

Cannot run the ball

This is a discussion on Cannot run the ball within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Cannot run the ball

I'm playing with the Cowboys and I can't run the ball to save my life.

Ran it pretty well in preseason, but now I'm running Barber 18-20 times per game for negative yardage.

I run mostly running plays I've mastered and occasionally learned.

I try inside, outside, pitches, draws, counters, whatever.

Just seems like they always shoot the gap with a defensive player and no one blocks him.

Passing is a piece of cake, but running the ball has me extremely frustrated.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Cannot run the ball

Mix your plays up a lot and flip your plays a lot...it will help open some holes for ya. A key thing though...stick to running up the gut..****nning to the outside will get you nowhere in a hurry...defense reacts too quick, unless you have a speed back...at least 93 speed or higher and a also strong blocking fullback.

Now there are some tricks I use to run all over the defense, but I also created my own custom playbook.

There are basically own 2 running plays I use (best running formation IMO is the Maryland I and I use the HB Blast-goes between the left guard and left tackle) play quite a bit as it works phenomenally well and then I mix in a lot of different passing plays...I don't mess with the game sliders (I keep them at default).

I have another secret weapon I use, but that one I won't disclose...takes a bit of explaining...lol.

My best piece of advice is to really pay attention and find a weakness in the defense and exploit it...I will keep pounding the defense into submission to the point where I just start super simming. You can definitely run the ball effectively, but to do so it all comes down to being a good strategist and basically being a good coach.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 12

Avoid outside and counter plays they are counter productive. I deleted all those plays from my book to tell you the truth. If you want to run make sure that you have at least one fullback in there or chances are you are not going to get many yards. Like one poster said the Maryland (army run I believe) is one of the best formations to run from. The I formation is pretty good as well, and I use a torn of play action so the defense tends to bite on it A LOT. I use different setts of formations that contain 1-3 TEs with 1-2 FBs and 1-2 WRs,mostly power running plays. Using single back plays will get you no where fast.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
Avoid outside and counter plays they are counter productive. I deleted all those plays from my book to tell you the truth. If you want to run make sure that you have at least one fullback in there or chances are you are not going to get many yards. Like one poster said the Maryland (army run I believe) is one of the best formations to run from. The I formation is pretty good as well, and I use a torn of play action so the defense tends to bite on it A LOT. I use different setts of formations that contain 1-3 TEs with 1-2 FBs and 1-2 WRs,mostly power running plays. Using single back plays will get you no where fast.
That's not all true.... Counters and outside runs do work but it just depends on when you call them. For starters, you NEVER call a counter against a time that like to blitz, you will be stopped in the backfield every time. But if call it against a time that likes to play zone you my have more success. And for outside runs, I only call them on second and long when the defensive would be most likely playing a Nickel defense. You can break some big runs at that point.

I can account for all these running tips because I'm probably one of the only people that know how to run on this game. I just finished the last game of the season (with the Panthers) and I have two 1000 yard rushers. So running the ball isn't that hard but you have to be dedicated to doing so...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Bottom line, stick with it. You WILL be able to run in time. I've tried several different teams and have been able to run with all of them, and it's always the same pattern -- run well in preseason, start off regular season sluggish, then finish strong and stay strong into the next year (unless you change coordinators and/or scheme).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

I've never been able to run consistently ever. The only plays that work for me somewhat are the goal line QB sneak, and some draw plays. Otherwise, it's usually a loss of yardage.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Rookie

As its already been stated, you have to mix it up and above all stick with it. At least 25-30 attempts a game to have a good running game. I know its tempting to give up on the run after some tackles for losses and the fact the passing game works so well, but unless you are way behind stick with the run. You will eventually have success.

I drafted Ozzie Jones for the Rams in 2009 and use him for all downs. I am in week 12 of his rookie season and he already has 1300 rushing yards. This is with the default sliders. It took him a little bit to get going but once he learned the plays he was dynamic. Especially on outside runs like stretches, tosses, sweeps and pitches.

If you don't have a stud "all around" RB go for two RBs that will give you a Smash and Dash attack, Speedy Dash RB for the outside plays and Powerful Smash RB for the inside plays. This also spread the fatigue around.

Something else you can do if you are really struggling on the outside runs, create some power formations where you sub in your backup o-linemen for your TEs and TEs/FBs for your WRs. This upgrades your run blocking ability in the formation for each position.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 12

Lots of people have trouble running the ball in this game. I was never able to do it reliably until I got RB and O Line coaches with good skills and special skills, and even then the running game is not a sure thing. Sometimes I will average like 7ypc and other times 2ypc. I still think it's all about the coaches though. I have had RB's with lower attributes and better coaches run better than RB's with higher attributes and worse coaches. I also have seen more success running up the gut than outside, and if you're going to go that route, it seems to help if you run plays where you have a fullback lead blocking. If you don't have any of those plays in your playbook I recommend going into the play creator and getting some.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »