Home

How do you turn crap teams into superbowl winners?

This is a discussion on How do you turn crap teams into superbowl winners? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
How do you turn crap teams into superbowl winners?

Just got fired from the lions and now with the raiders and doing poor here too. Just the hardest game I ever played. I dont want to play with great teams that takes the fun out of it. I just need some strategy cause in madden you could stockpile picks easily in this game i dont even see a way to trade picks. Alot different from maddens franchise mode a lot harder. My general strategy is to trade for top prospects or trade for high picks and dump expensive players but all of that seems impossible in this game. Any help?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: How do you turn crap teams into superbowl winners?

Also how do I make the comp sim more towards the run? meaning make them run the ball more in simulations
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Also during the game sometimes i can ask the coach to call a play then sometimes i cant whatsup with that? why cant i get him to call the plays everytime? Also having hard time trading for early picks or resigning players during season at will etc anything else
Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Well I struggled at first to with the Raiders, though it seems if im coming around now as im 5-2 in year 3 after getting two top10 picks in a row.

First off, never trade up unless the player is a cant miss player(boar jackson, jack english etc). Youll know this by the amount shefter will hype them up. Also, as a rule of thumb for me, first rounders must have at least a 90 potential. Trading up once you get to the mid-late 2nd is easier since teams wont ask for alot there.

When drafting, pay attention to durability and learning first. As long as those two are at least 80, there safe to go. Also pay attention to intangibles for lower round prospects, and the physical traits for midrounders.Trading down is really valuable since there are a ton of sleepers in every draft.

Since playbook knowlege is really important, try keeping most of your backups and role players intact from year to year so that you wont have half the team learning a new playbook every year.

To run more, set your philosophy to power running(under the team philosophy tab). Also make sure that a good percentage of your playbook are running plays. But if your team is bad and you are constantly getting blown out, the sim engine wont have a lot of runs since no one runs when down by 21.

To trade for draft picks put your players on the trade block(roster>trade) and see if any of them get offers. If they do you can haggle with the teams that want the players for a trade package.
You also need really good players to even get a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and amazing players to even get a 1st rounder from trades.
And teams will almost never trade for a player with a huge contract no matter how good they are so your better off cutting them.

What I did in my franchise was, in FA, sign mostly mid-level players who are either role players/backups, to small contracts(less than 3m a year for the most part) and build my team through the draft.Try stockpiling a lot of mid rounders so that you can use them to trade up if you want to.

Players on the last year of their contract will come to you for contract negotiations around week 4 i think. But some unhappy players might not approach you at all, which means youll have to franchise tag them if you wanna keep them
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKnowsBest
Well I struggled at first to with the Raiders, though it seems if im coming around now as im 5-2 in year 3 after getting two top10 picks in a row.

First off, never trade up unless the player is a cant miss player(boar jackson, jack english etc). Youll know this by the amount shefter will hype them up. Also, as a rule of thumb for me, first rounders must have at least a 90 potential. Trading up once you get to the mid-late 2nd is easier since teams wont ask for alot there.

When drafting, pay attention to durability and learning first. As long as those two are at least 80, there safe to go. Also pay attention to intangibles for lower round prospects, and the physical traits for midrounders.Trading down is really valuable since there are a ton of sleepers in every draft.

Since playbook knowlege is really important, try keeping most of your backups and role players intact from year to year so that you wont have half the team learning a new playbook every year.

To run more, set your philosophy to power running(under the team philosophy tab). Also make sure that a good percentage of your playbook are running plays. But if your team is bad and you are constantly getting blown out, the sim engine wont have a lot of runs since no one runs when down by 21.

To trade for draft picks put your players on the trade block(roster>trade) and see if any of them get offers. If they do you can haggle with the teams that want the players for a trade package.
You also need really good players to even get a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and amazing players to even get a 1st rounder from trades.
And teams will almost never trade for a player with a huge contract no matter how good they are so your better off cutting them.

What I did in my franchise was, in FA, sign mostly mid-level players who are either role players/backups, to small contracts(less than 3m a year for the most part) and build my team through the draft.Try stockpiling a lot of mid rounders so that you can use them to trade up if you want to.

Players on the last year of their contract will come to you for contract negotiations around week 4 i think. But some unhappy players might not approach you at all, which means youll have to franchise tag them if you wanna keep them
In nfl head coach 06 you could during the game adjust the qbs and wideouts and everyones playing characteristics. Like you could make the qb step in the pocket or wait for the play to develop etc..well wheres that at in this game? I liked a lot of things in 06 that dont seem to be in the game. I just dont understand why its so hard to sign someone whenever i want or trade for specific picks i want like in madden

Also how do I add plays that I didnt make into the playbook?

Last edited by Cantgetright69; 12-28-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Rookie

Im just confused. My qb a scrambler is always throwing for 20-30 qb rating a game thats average sometimes its 0.0. I just dunno what to do to get him playing as good as his potential. Btw I have it set on cpu delagate for gameplan etc.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Couple things I've done to turn those losers teams in to winners:

1) When I first join the team. I look to remove the dead weight by cutting poor players and cutting some of the bad contracts that most teams have off the team in order to free up some cap space. And don't cut any player that has 1 year remaining on their contract. Since its usually not worth it to take a cap penalty for next year when you can just cut him at the end of the year.

Sure you'll have some cap penalties for next year, but I believe its better take the 1 year penalty then it is to have that crappy player on your team that's eating up cap space for years to come. And most likely you'll be able to draft or pick up a better player cheaper via FA. Therefore that crappy talent is costing you cap space and a position that could be used to get a better / cheaper talent.

Also, if possible, try trading some of the quality talent for some draft picks. This way your at least getting some thing in return.

2) Now that you have freed up some cap space. Study the upcoming draft like crazy and review the upcoming free agents. I usually sign 1 or 2 of the top free agents in a position that I need. And then get the rest via the draft.

3) In the first draft after you take over a team. Unless you absolutely love a 1st round prospect and you have to have them. I typically trade my 1st year / 1st round draft pick for future draft picks. Reason begin is rarely does a team go from worst to first in one year,. So for me, year 1 is a restructuring / rebuilding year in order to make up space for good talent in year 2 then year 3 and beyond.

4) Once you've survived the year 1 pre-season. I look for young / qualilty FAs that are typically out there and sign them in order to make my team some what competive in year 1. Since you don't want to get fired in the rebuilding phase.

5) I typically rebuild my team through the draft and try to find those later round gems. Since they are cheaper and using equal to or sometimes better then the 1st rounders that sign for more money. But you can also look at trading for teams young 2nd or 3rd string players. As they may not start on that team, but you could start them on your team to build them up.

6) Last thing I do. Since I'm more of a passing team, I make sure I get a top QB, 3 really good WRs and a decent OL and spend the money on those positions. Since I don't really run the ball, there is no need for me to go out and spend top dollars on getting a top rank RB. So I recommend spending money on the players that fit the system you're running.

Again, this is just some of the things I do. But I'm in the 2020 year of my first career. And I started with the Dolphins, won the Super Bowl 3 times and then moved to the Raiders. Rebuilt them and won the Super Bowl 3 times. And now I'm in my first season with the Jaguars and I have 9 draft picks and a remaining cap of over $30m. So I'm good in the off season to pick up the good FA and to start building my team via the draft.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantgetright69
Im just confused. My qb a scrambler is always throwing for 20-30 qb rating a game thats average sometimes its 0.0. I just dunno what to do to get him playing as good as his potential. Btw I have it set on cpu delagate for gameplan etc.
Check your play book and play calling settings and make sure they are in sync.

What are you doing in practice? You may want to spend more time practicing some offensive plays in order to increase the playbook knowledge of your team.

Also, I like the 0.0 reference... too funny you must like Eric the "Midget"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »