Home

The only way to make a better football game...

This is a discussion on The only way to make a better football game... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: The only way to make a better football game...

swatter555:

I agree with you, as to no one would give their time for free.

I've been wanting to do this for years. I develop buildings here in NY, but i like to expand out into video games. I have a great idea for a football game and the money to back it. I just need a good team. This idea would allow for online franchise leagues.

Edit: I would use generic players and teams, and let the people cutomize their game. I don't need the NFL to make a great football game.

Last edited by claystone; 01-10-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Rookie

Also, most console games, if you read the fine print in the manual, part of the End User License Agreement is that you will not backwards-engineer the software, which is basically what you'd be doing if you tried to make a mod like this.

For example here's a section of an old Madden EULA:

Quote:
Except as otherwise expressly provided under this Agreement, you shall not, and
shall not allow any third party to: (a) decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer or
attempt to reconstruct or discover any source code or underlying algorithms of the Software by
any means whatsoever, to the maximum extent such restriction is allowable under applicable law,
(b) alter, modify, enhance, or create a derivative work or improvement of any part of the Software,
(c) remove, alter, or obscure any product identification, copyright, or other intellectual property
And sorry, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just trying to let you know what you're getting yourself into with something like this. It's not as simple as people might think. Not to say that it can't be done, but you need to be fully aware of what you're getting yourself into well ahead of time, which is why I suggest having legal advice on hand, particularly somebody who is well versed in intellectual property law.

Last edited by sixtydashone; 01-11-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone
swatter555:

I agree with you, as to no one would give their time for free.

I've been wanting to do this for years. I develop buildings here in NY, but i like to expand out into video games. I have a great idea for a football game and the money to back it. I just need a good team. This idea would allow for online franchise leagues.

Edit: I would use generic players and teams, and let the people cutomize their game. I don't need the NFL to make a great football game.
I do know a few things about the game business, lets see if I can impart a little more advice. You say you have money, ok. Are you independently wealthy? That is what it is going to take. Even if you are frugal, to make a game better than HC, you will need a least a million dollars. And that million dollars would be a high risk investment.

The HC09 team used a well developed engine dedicated to football. I promise you it still took hundreds or thousands of man hours to make HC09.

I don't want to pee on your parade either, but unless you are wealthy you need to lower your sights.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatter555
I do know a few things about the game business, lets see if I can impart a little more advice. You say you have money, ok. Are you independently wealthy? That is what it is going to take. Even if you are frugal, to make a game better than HC, you will need a least a million dollars. And that million dollars would be a high risk investment.

The HC09 team used a well developed engine dedicated to football. I promise you it still took hundreds or thousands of man hours to make HC09.

I don't want to pee on your parade either, but unless you are wealthy you need to lower your sights.
I figured around $500k or so to put this together. I'm actually really serious about this. I like a partner who is in this business. We can have an "Operating Agreement" created that lays out our business plan along with the do's and don'ts. But the team of players that can create this idea i have is important to know if it can be done and at what budget.

Edit: The game i want to create, would be for PC.

Last edited by claystone; 01-11-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtydashone
Also, most console games, if you read the fine print in the manual, part of the End User License Agreement is that you will not backwards-engineer the software, which is basically what you'd be doing if you tried to make a mod like this.

For example here's a section of an old Madden EULA:

And sorry, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just trying to let you know what you're getting yourself into with something like this. It's not as simple as people might think. Not to say that it can't be done, but you need to be fully aware of what you're getting yourself into well ahead of time, which is why I suggest having legal advice on hand, particularly somebody who is well versed in intellectual property law.
You're not being a downer.

I like to make a game from scratch but to be used for PC.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone
I figured around $500k or so to put this together. I'm actually really serious about this. I like a partner who is in this business. We can have an "Operating Agreement" created that lays out our business plan along with the do's and don'ts. But the team of players that can create this idea i have is important to know if it can be done and at what budget.

Edit: The game i want to create, would be for PC.
3D game engine or text? if its text i might be able to help a bit with the formulas(how player ratings effect the gameplay)

and just recreate the NFL and slightly change the names

for example, call the oakland raiders the oakland riders(horse as logo. nmamdi asomugha can me mandi asogha. just small changes like that which will still make the players recognizable for fans of the team.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKnowsBest
3D game engine or text? if its text i might be able to help a bit with the formulas(how player ratings effect the gameplay)

and just recreate the NFL and slightly change the names

for example, call the oakland raiders the oakland riders(horse as logo. nmamdi asomugha can me mandi asogha. just small changes like that which will still make the players recognizable for fans of the team.
It would be 3D. Text is already available through FOF for online play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 6

how about a mod for unreal tournament 3 on the pc? the pc version comes with a free mod kit to make your own mods. i know for a fact that the UE can handle a ton of calculations in the background, and i think i could get some UE modders to make some player models and animations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »