Home

Leron James, anybody else has issues

This is a discussion on Leron James, anybody else has issues within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Leron James, anybody else has issues

I drafted Leron James in the 4th rd, right befor my 2nd year with the Miami Dolphins. Great potential, great attributes. I had a good preseason with him.

Now im 5-1 in week 7. I have James starting. But the last 2 games he has greatly struggled. I had the Browns 3 games before, and he had 25 carries, 156 yards, with 3 TD. All in that one game. And Since i played the Pats, 12 carries, 21 yards, and the Jags, 11 carries, 28 yards. Not running the ball good at all. Its not the way im using him, but ive had read before on here that James has problems with running the ball. Im just wondering if anybody else has experienced issues with him. Early in the season he had goog games. Averaged 17 carries and 105 yards a game before the browns game. so pretty effective. But these past 2 weeks, just horrible. I mean it could be that teams are doing better in stopping the run. I play the colts this coming up game, im doing to see how it goes. I like to run the ball, and run it alot. He cathes balls well, and gets good yards after the catch.

Just wondering anybody elses thoughts, comments, or issues with Leron James.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Leron James, anybody else has issues

Well, the Pats and Jags both have good defenses and are hard to run the ball on. Also, 12 and 11 carries aren't really much to get the running game going. Against tougher defenses, your run game will get shut down 9 times out of 10 early in the game. You have to keep banging away with it in those instances, which is tough to do since even then it's not guarantteed to take off in the second half.

If you are the Dolphins, what is you O-Line like? An average line will give you a good running game against some defenses, but will struggle against the better ones. I know the Dolphins don't start off with a good line, and even if you draft really good linemen in the later rounds, it will take them time to get where you want them as well. Also, coaches and coaching skills related to the run game make a big difference.

I've had James before, and the first couple seasons or so he was hit and miss from week to week. It took him awhile to develop, and took me awhile to build a great O-line, but when I did get everything to come together by his third year with my team he was everything I needed in a RB.

I think sometimes people tend to get frustrated right away if James isn't running well consistantly. I think the LT comparison makes people expect too much at first. He's a sleeper pick, and it takes him a couple years to develop to his full potential, especially if you don't have a great line blocking for him. I was about to dump him myself before everything started coming together. Just remember, he's projected to be one of the top backs in the league, but not for a couple years. He'll flash at points because of his potential, but it takes awhile for him to become a what he should be.

Thios is all based on my own personal experience with him. Some others may think differently, but I think you just have to give him time. 5-1 with the Dolphins in your second season with some good games running the ball already should be encouraging though.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

I drafted Leron in my 2nd season with the Dolphins also, he was a beast for me, when his contract became due I gave him a 1st and 3rd RFA tag and let Dallas sign him to a 1 year deal. Nearing the end of that season my bid for him in RFA. My back now is good but not liek Leron James.

FYI I have seldom run well vs the Pats, they just shut down the run, but have had James get over 100 yard recieving vs them.

I keep letting players go because I have amassed so many draft picks, but Leron is a stud.

Don't forget his playbook knowledge increases and his rating season 1 by thee end of the season you should see the difference.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Here is how I beat the Patriots. First knock Brady out of the game early. Then when his backup throws interceptions you have lots of opportunities to get Leron's run game going.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter73
Well, the Pats and Jags both have good defenses and are hard to run the ball on. Also, 12 and 11 carries aren't really much to get the running game going. Against tougher defenses, your run game will get shut down 9 times out of 10 early in the game. You have to keep banging away with it in those instances, which is tough to do since even then it's not guarantteed to take off in the second half.

If you are the Dolphins, what is you O-Line like? An average line will give you a good running game against some defenses, but will struggle against the better ones. I know the Dolphins don't start off with a good line, and even if you draft really good linemen in the later rounds, it will take them time to get where you want them as well. Also, coaches and coaching skills related to the run game make a big difference.

I've had James before, and the first couple seasons or so he was hit and miss from week to week. It took him awhile to develop, and took me awhile to build a great O-line, but when I did get everything to come together by his third year with my team he was everything I needed in a RB.

I think sometimes people tend to get frustrated right away if James isn't running well consistantly. I think the LT comparison makes people expect too much at first. He's a sleeper pick, and it takes him a couple years to develop to his full potential, especially if you don't have a great line blocking for him. I was about to dump him myself before everything started coming together. Just remember, he's projected to be one of the top backs in the league, but not for a couple years. He'll flash at points because of his potential, but it takes awhile for him to become a what he should be.

Thios is all based on my own personal experience with him. Some others may think differently, but I think you just have to give him time. 5-1 with the Dolphins in your second season with some good games running the ball already should be encouraging though.
I totally understand. I mean im not giving up on him. I know its takes time for players to develop, just like in real life. But in thoose game where he had 12 and 11 carries, most of those carries were for negative yardage. Plus i was playing from behind a bit. Ronnie Brown when i plug him in, does a bit better. But im still not giving up. My o-Line is Jake Long(LT), Logan Mankins(LG, Freeagent pick up), Samson Satele( already with dolphins when i took over them, 93 potential, it has been reach), Patrick Boma( RG, 1 of Future 50 players, 95 potential, now a 90), and Javon Jackson(RT, 1 of Future 50 players).

Pretty dam good line. It might be the system i choose also. I have the Tom Moore's passing attack. But in previous careers, RB's do well. But i was just wondering if anybody else has issues with him. I know one thing, he sure fumbles plenty. But u are right. We expect players just to be MVP's there first year, instead of being patient. The LT comparison does that.

This is my first draft with the Dolpins below, im in my 2nd year

Rd. 1 Javon Jackson(LT moved to RT cuz of Jake Long)
Rd. 2 Dane Morrow(QB)
Rd. 3 Alonzi Simms(MLB 90 potential)
Rd. 4 Drew Goodman(TE 91 potential)
Rd. 4 Leron James(RB)
Rd. 4 Patrick Boma(RG)
Rd. 4 Jamarion Bellows(WR)
Rd. 4 Dexter Know(LOLB, 91 potential, he is a beast rushing the passer in my 3-4 scheme)

Good draft. I just beat the Colts, the undeafeated Colts(6-0) in overtime 46-43. I came from behind, 3 scores down. And a big fumble on kickreturn that my special teams forced with 1:02 left in the 4th quater, got us to overtime. And a HUGE!!!!!!!!! Jason Taylor INT, returned to the 5 yard line, did everything but win me the game. and i kicked the game winning Fieldgoal. Im not ranked 1st in the power rankings, at 6-1. What a turn around from last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

I've had some fumbling issues with James at first as well. There are skills you can get for your coach that should help with that. It seemed to me that getting higher ratings for my coach in RB intangibles helped out a lot, but that may just be coincidence, but he did lose the fumbling habit after awhile.Take a look at the coaching skills you can get for your staff and see if that helps cut down the fumble issue.

That is a good line though. But with so many new players, it's still likely to take them a bit of time to really gel together (playbook Knowledge and all that) and get James on the same page with them against the better defenses. If you can keep that line and James together, you should develop into an amazing run offense.

I wouldn't think the playbook itself would make much of a difference. I use the Steelers playbook most of the time, and it helps, but only because of the number of running plays available. Everything else should depend on level of knowledge and coaching skills as far as success rates go.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter73
I've had some fumbling issues with James at first as well. There are skills you can get for your coach that should help with that. It seemed to me that getting higher ratings for my coach in RB intangibles helped out a lot, but that may just be coincidence, but he did lose the fumbling habit after awhile.Take a look at the coaching skills you can get for your staff and see if that helps cut down the fumble issue.

That is a good line though. But with so many new players, it's still likely to take them a bit of time to really gel together (playbook Knowledge and all that) and get James on the same page with them against the better defenses. If you can keep that line and James together, you should develop into an amazing run offense.

I wouldn't think the playbook itself would make much of a difference. I use the Steelers playbook most of the time, and it helps, but only because of the number of running plays available. Everything else should depend on level of knowledge and coaching skills as far as success rates go.
When i started my career, i based my playbook on Tom Moore's Passing Attack, but i added about 10 new running plays, just to have more options when running the ball. But it was hard at first to choose a playbook. It was Tom Moore's, the Pats offense....and other high flying, high scoring offenses. I love to run the ball,and really control the clock, and wear down the Defense. but i love to throw the ball and get big plays. I figured with Ginn, and rookie Jemarion Bellows, it would be a good paly book to choose.

Lately the fumbles have gone down. (KNOCK ON WOOD). MY RB coach i purchased some skills for him throughout the year. And it seems to have helped. I have had some huge games from James the past couple days. I think ive played about 5 games in 2 days. And he has and 1 200+ yard game with 3 TD's, and 2 100+ games with more then 1 TD. But it really comes down to the good run defenses, where he struggles. They must do a great job gameplanning against me. Im in week 14 and he has 1000+ yards. So thats a good rookie season so far. And hes very durable, fatigure stays above 85, when i use him alot. I do alot of different things to help him out...motions with the FB. Bringing in an extra TE, or O-lineman in goaline packages. And when i really wanna grind it out. I just try to run the field with the goal-line package. U know, power running. Even though thats not my M.O.

I plan on keeping them together. I check the playbook knowledge after every game, i feel like i need to know where it is, and how i can improve that to be more effective. So i check everytime. And i have to admit, that there not all Mastered. So it might be that.
But i have a great group.

Quick question, how would i go about getting XBOX live. I hear there is a free silver version? I have had xbox since the first day of its release, but i never really go invovled with the online stuff. Mind helping me out?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »