Home

G-Men for the win

This is a discussion on G-Men for the win within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
G-Men for the win

This is the third time I’ve ran a career on Head coach. My attempt at the colts proved too easy, while my attempt with the cardinals while having a great team fell into problems at the end of the third year when my salary cap went into meltdown and the RFA bug kicked in.

So for my third attempt I have decided to go for the Giants. They have a good ground game which I am going to base my offence around. To that extent I decided to base my head coach around a running game one. Therefore the only special skills which he is allowed to pick from are those for running backs and the offensive line. I will allow myself to gain the generic special skills but only after I focus on the essential ones first.

So my coach ended up with the following
Jason McDaniels
OVR – 14
Team Chemistry – 4
Playcalling – 4
Strategy – 3
Performance – 3
All running back and offensive line stats at 2, all others at 1
Special Skills – Game film analysis
Offensive playbook – Steelers smashmouth
Defensive playbook – Rex Ryan 4-6

I intend to build the team through the draft (bad experience trading and using free agency). I want the team to turn into a very ball control orientated team using the running game to grind down the clock and tiring the defence out. While I use my defence to force turnovers to get the opposition back on the field before they have a chance to rest up.

I will start in the off season and try and get what I want through the draft and free agency that year. Know it will end up being a rebuilding year but hopefully I will be able to keep myself in a job.

Next – Free agency and the combine

btw if you see anything i am doing wrong or notice something which i could/can do differently please give me a shout.

Last edited by cabowers; 01-25-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: G-Men for the win

Evaluation

I know I said Free Agency and combine but felt I needed to do this first

Ok so after taking over I took stock of my staff first (I know I can’t do anything about them till next year but I like to know what I’m working with behind the scenes. Obviously Spagnuolo stands out and so does the defensive line coach. Have a feeling if Spag leaves then the D-Line coach will step in. The WR coach is an 83 OVR, quite useful to have as I got a feeling rookie WR are going to be order of the day.

The first thing I set up is my philosophy. Will evaluate my roster afterwards.

Staff hire – give up no control
Trade – Trade up, undervalue, neutral, aggressive
Draft – Biggest team needs, biggest team needs, Balanced
Contract – Cheap, Normal, 1 million, based on talent, normal, evenly, low ball
QB – strong arm/tools, min 2
HB – Power, min 4
FB – Blocking, min 1
WR – Tall/red zone, min 5
TE – Balanced, min 3
OL – Run block G, Run Block C, Pass Block T, Min G 5, Min C 2, Min T 5
DL – 1 gap pen DT, Speed rusher DE, Min DT 4, Min DE 4
LB – Run stopper OLB, power/blitzer MLB, Min MLB 3, Min OLB 4
DB – Ballhawk CB, prototype FS, Run support SS, Min CB 4, Min FS 2, Min SS 2
K/P – Accuracy K, Big foot P, both min 1
Evaluation – build through draft, Favours role
Playcall – blitz heavy, man, DC, 3-4, Balanced, Balanced, HC, Power running
Depth chart and injury left as is.

So now my philosophy has been set I start to look at my talent. Below is a list of all my talent along with some notes,
Name
Position
Ovr
Pot
notes
E. Manning
QB
Starter/trade bait>>
A.Wright>>
QB>>
68>>
68>>
3rd string>>
J Lorenzen>>
QB>>
69>>
69>>
Out of contract>>
R Droughns>>
RB>>
75>>
75>>
Trade>>
D.Ward>>
RB>>
70>>
70>>
Out of contract>>
B.Jacobs>>
RB>>
84>>
90>>
Starter/trade bait>>
A.Bradshaw>>
RB>>
75>>
86>>
Trade bait>>
M.Hedgecock>>
FB>>
73>>
77>>
Trade>>
A.Toomer>>
WR>>
83>>
83>>
Out of contract>>
P.Burress>>
WR>>
93>>
93>>
Starter>>
D.Tyree>>
WR>>
74>>
74>>
5th choice>>
S.Moss>>
WR>>
63>>
69>>
Trade bait>>
D.Hixon>>
WR>>
72>>
80>>
possible 4th/KR>>
S.Smith>>
WR>>
78>>
86>>
Slot?>>
J.Shockey>>
TE>>
82>>
82>>
Starter>>
K.Boss>>
TE>>
75>>
85>>
2nd TE/Trade bait>>
D.Diehl>>
LT>>
88>>
89>>
Starter>>
G.Whimper>>
LT>>
73>>
73>>
Backup/trade>>
R.Seubert>>
LG>>
77>>
77>>
Trade>>
K.Boothe>>
LG>>
77>>
80>>
Trade>>
G****egamer>>
C>>
74>>
74>>
Trade>>
S.O'Hara>>
C>>
84>>
84>>
Starter>>
C.Snee>>
RG>>
88>>
90>>
Starter>>
K.McKenzie>>
RT>>
83>>
83>>
Starter/trade bait>>
M.Strahan>>
LE>>
85>>
85>>
Retiring/trade>>
O.Umenyiora>>
RE>>
93>>
94>>
Starter>>
J.Tuck>>
RE>>
87>>
89>>
Move to LE?>>
D.Tollefson>>
RE>>
74>>
76>>
Trade>>
R.Davis>>
DT>>
64>>
64>>
Out of contract>>
F.Robbis>>
DT>>
63>>
63>>
Trade/cut>>
W.Joesph>>
DT>>
69>>
69>>
Trade/cut>>
B.Cofield>>
DT>>
72>>
74>>
Trade/cut>>
J.Alford>>
DT>>
65>>
67>>
Trade/cut>>
R.Torbor>>
LOLB>>
73>>
73>>
Out of contract>>
K.Mitchell>>
LOLB>>
82>>
85>>
Starter/trade bait>>
Z.DeOssie>>
LOLB>>
74>>
82>>
2nd/3rd string>>
A.Pierce>>
MLB>>
86>>
87>>
Starter/trade bait>>
C.Blackburn>>
MLB>>
72>>
75>>
Trade bait>>
K.Mitchell>>
ROLB>>
86>>
86>>
Franchise tag>>
G.Wilkinson>>
ROLB>>
71>>
74>>
Trade bait>>
S.Madison>>
CB>>
82>>
82>>
Nickel>>
R.McQuarters>>
CB>>
74>>
74>>
Trade>>
C.Webster>>
CB>>
73>>
78>>
Trade>>
A.Ross>>
CB>>
86>>
92>>
Starter>>
K.Dockery>>
CB>>
68>>
72>>
Trade>>
G.Wilson>>
FS>>
84>>
84>>
Trade bait/move to SS>>
M.Johnson>>
FS>>
83>>
87>>
Starter>>
J.Butler>>
SS>>
71>>
72>>
Trade>>
L.Tynes>>
K>>
83>>
83>>
Out of contract>>
J.Feagles>>
P>>
86>>
86>>
Starter>>

Some of the talent which I have noted as trade bait will be kept. Eli for example will be kept if I don’t get a decent offer for him. The reason he is trade bait is I really like Josh Johnson as a strong arm QB and he is available in 3rd/4th round normally so if I get a decent offer I will look for Johnson in the draft. Same with Jacobs, I should be able to pick up a decent RB in draft so will hopefully be able to get some picks for him. As for the rest, well we’ll just wait and see.

From looking at the players I realise I need to focus on several things during free agency and the draft. WR and DT are musts. Thankfully players such as Pat Sims, Kevin Robinson should fill those gaps. LG and RT could use an upgrade so I will also be on the look out for those. If Jordan Cross is available I may look at him. My CB need a sure fire hit and assuming he isn’t franchised Asaunte Samuel will answer that problem. SS and K need to be looked at as well however I may be able to get by on backup’s for my safeties if I move Wilson to SS. K will be handled last as if needs be I can grab Serna in the draft

Next time – Free agency and combine (honest)

Btw I am sorry about all the smiley faces. I don't know to get rid of them as i am not putting them in there. If someone can tell me how to stop them apperaing it would be great.

Last edited by cabowers; 01-25-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 9

are you copying and pasting the list from somewhere like excel? that might be the reason for the smiley faces.

and you missed mathias kiwanuka in your roster. in the offseeason was he an OLB or a DE?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Rookie

I accidentally put him down as K.Mitchell on the LOLB. I am copying from word and excel. I will have free agency, combine, pro days and indiv. workouts up in about an hour. But so far so good.

I think?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Rookie

Free Agency and Scouting

I will break this down into two parts just to make things a little easier

Free Agency

So free agency is about to hit, looking at the preview there are several options. Lance Briggs would upgrade my Linebacking core but if I tag Mitchell where would he sit. Well being Lance Briggs I could move him across the core and it wouldn’t really matter. Samuel and Asomugha are corners I can target, will only look for one of them though. Gross is available will look at plugging him into RT. Stacey Andrews is available at LG which I desperately need so will also look at him. Donovan Darius could be a temporary solution to my SS problem. I have 30 million in cap room so will see what comes my way.

Okay I didn’t notice that, both of my FS are out of contract as well. I franchise tag Johnson in the hope I can pick up Briggs or at worst Mitchell again in Free Agency.

Season goals – ROLB, SS and a DT all with 85 or higher

Raiders franchise tag Asomugha so Samuel it is then. So my free agency targets are Briggs, Gross, Samuel/Trufant, Andrews, Darius. Gonna be a busy one.

Restricted free agency went without a hitch. I tendered my SS to a level 2 as I figured if he left I would have nothing at the back even if I brought guys in. Hopefully someone is desperate and will give up a 2nd round.

Free agency is up and I immediately place the following on the trade block:
Manning, Pierce, Strahan, Jacobs, Mckenzie, Toomer, Kiwanuka, Shockey, Boothe, Sebert, Bradshaw, Boss, Droughns, Tollefson, McQuarters, Ruegamer, Hedgecock, Webster, Whimper, Cofield, Blackburn, Wilkinson, Joseph, Dockery, Alford, Moss, Robbins
I don’t know how many of them will invite offers but we shall see.

So Samuel is up. 24 mil in cap room, now have 16 million. Patriots wanted to trade a LG to me for Bradshaw and a 4th. Decided against it. Don’t want to give away my picks. Briggs is up now. May look to get him then look for bargains and trades for my guys first. Well Briggs is mine gonna have just over 7 mil for rookies by the looks of it.

Jacobs went to the browns for a 4th. Would have liked a third but gives me another pick to play with for all the sleepers. Webster went to the eagles for 6th this year and next. The ravens were offering next years 2nd but I want players now and they wouldn’t go any higher.

I moved Tuck over to LE where he is better than Strahan. I also moved Briggs to MLB where he is still a 90. Kiwanuka was moved to ROLB where he is better, so he is coming off the trade block. Reason for these moves was that LOLB is better stocked in the draft. Bradshaw went to the Lions for a 6th and a 7th. The cowboys were offering a 5th and a 7th but I would prefer a lower deal over giving someone in my division an advantage.

The patriots came back with their guard. I offered one of the DT and a 6th. They wanted a 2nd and a 4th so got shown the door. Politely of course you don’t want to anger Bill Bellicheat. I traded Antonio Pierce to the Bengals for a 3rd and a 6th. Btw in case anyone starts hurling abuse and wondering why I’m trading away decent players. I’m trying to build a dynasty here and as a result wants players who will be at the top of their game at the same in 3 or 4 years. So far 13 picks. Intend to trade up with some of those 5th, 6th and 7th into the 3rd and 4th to get the players I want. Bellicheat came back with that LG again. I managed to get him to agree to a CB of mine and a 6th. Still nothing for Manning. Thought teams like the chiefs, Vikings etc would have sprinted for him.

Sinorice Moss went to the dolphins for a 6th. I brought in Michael Boulware as a SS. Fully intend to only use him as a backup but right now I haven’t got anyone is that area so have went down to 5 million in cap room for rookies. Got a feeling I will be avoiding rounds 1 and 2 possibly. So I have sorted my SS at least for the current time I got B.Pollard from the chiefs for my RT and a 6th. I have options in the draft for a right tackle anyway. Only problem is my salary cap has just went into meltdown again. I must remember not to go for trades. However, I have played about with my roster cutting McQuarters, Hedgecock and a couple of other randoms. I have also cut Toomer and Strahan. Neither were attracting any trade attention and I would much rather have the cap room to bring in rookies than having them collecting before retiring next year.

Scouting

All Stars QB – Dixon, Henne, Woodson, Brennan
All Stars RB – Forte, Hester, Hillis, Forsett, Johnson, Schmitt
All Stars WR/TE – Dexter Jackson, Rucker, Smith, Cladwell, Shields, Swann, Tamme, Davis
All Stars OL – Cherilus, Rinehart, Pollak, Cousins, Greene, Radovich
All Stars DL – Jackson, Moore, Bryant, Ellis, Harrison, Laws
All Stars LB – Dizon, Crable, Bell, Adibi, Highsmith, Wheeler
All Stars DB – Zbikowski, Decoud, Wheatley, Porter
All Stars K/P – Couto, Serna

Combine QB – Johnson, Henne, Brennan, O’Connell
Combine RB – Mendenhall, Stewart, Forte, Omon, Hillis, Stewart
Comine WR/TE – Thomas, Cottam, Stevens, Caldwell, Manningham, Shields, Robinson, Zinger, Swann, Johnson, Urrutita
Combine OL – Rachal, Rinehart, Giacomi, Greene, Crummey, Bank
Combine DL – Sims, Moore, Okam, Jackson, Ellis, Ortiz
Combine LB – Dizon, Crable, Adibi, Wheeler, Bell, James
Combine DB – Zbikowski, Decoud, Wheatley, Porter
Combine K/P – Mehlhaff, Serna, Carmody, Brooks

Pro day # 1 – UNLV (Beau Bell)
Pro day # 2 – Auburn (Pat Sims and Carl Stewart)
Pro day # 3 – California (Craig Stevens and Thomas Decoud)
Pro day # 4 – New Mexico(Marcus Smith)
Pro day # 5 – BoiseState (Orlando Scandrick) didn’t want to look at any, but best of a bad bunch
Pro day # 6 – ArizonaState (Mike Pollak, Robert James, Josh Barrett)
Pro day # 7 – Michigan (Chad Henne, Shawn Crable, Mario Manningham)
Pro day # 8 – Michigan State (Devin Thomas, Kellen Davis)
Pro day # 9 – Richmond (Tim Hightower, Arman Shields)
Pro day # 10 – San Diego State(Kevin O’Connell, Brent Swann)
Pro day # 11 – Notre Dame (Tom Zbikowski)
Pro day # 12 – Maryland (Dre Moore, Andrew Crummey)
Pro day # 13 – Texas (Frank Okam)
Pro day # 14 – Utah State (Kevin Robinson)
Pro day # 15 – Tulane (Matt Forte)
Pro day # 16 – Virginia Tech (Chris Ellis, Xavier Adibi) really hard choice as I had Dizon and Wheatley at Colorado and Johnson at San Diego to choose between as well. Went with Virginia Tech as both Wheatley and Dizon are predicted to go higher than my 2nd anyway.
Pro day # 17 – Oregon State (Alexis Serna)
Pro day # 18 – UTEP (Oniel Cousins)
Pro day # 19 – LSU (Ali Highsmith, Keith Zinger)
Pro day # 20 – Purdue (No one but had most prospects)
Pro day # 21 – Wake Forest (Same as above)

Individual workout # 1 – Josh Johnson (90)
Individual workout # 2 – Matt Forte (80)
Individual workout # 3 – Andrew Crummey (87)
Individual workout # 4 – Lawrence Jackson (84)

Individual workout # 5 – Alexis Serna (86)
Individual workout # 6 – Chris Ellis (84)
Individual workout # 7 – Jonathan Stewart (84)
Individual workout # 8 – Tim Hightower (68)
Individual workout # 9 – Tom Zbikowski (82)
Individual workout # 10 – Rashard Mendenhall (88)

So the way I’m looking to draft is as follows. I’m wanting to move up into the late teens to grab Mendenhall. He’s down as going 20th to the Bucs so if I can grab him at around 17 or 18 it’ll be great. I know Johnson wont go until the 3rd so I can hold back till then for him. Crummey and Serna are also liable to third round picks along with Sims, Robinson and Shields. Lots of trading on day two maybe back end of day 1 depending on how things pan out.

Next draft day
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Rookie

Draft

2 new season goals – avoid a bust (trying to), find a sleeper (found them)

So my draft picks at the start of day 1 are:
1st Round (31)
2nd Round (63rd)
3rd Round (77th, 95th)
4th Round (119th, 128th)
5th Round (160th)
6th Round (161st, 170th, 171st, 188th, 192nd)
7th Round (201st)

Going to try and use my first and a fourth to move up in round 1 to get Mendenhall. My 2nd will be used on Sims. My two thirds will go on Johnson and Robinson. Will then try and keep in the third to get Serna, Adibi and Crummey. Ok so I went for a mental trade and got the 6th overall pick for next years 1st round, Shockey and Manning. Know it’s a lot but I may be able to get more picks this year or McFadden. Win win situation I think. Ok so I traded down with the cards for there 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks this year. I traded my 31st overall pick to Atlanta for a 2nd and a 6th

1st round pick (16) Rashard Mendenhall (RB)
2nd round pick (37) Pat Sims (DT)
2nd round pick (51) Dre Moore (DT)
2nd round pick (63) Josh Johnson (QB)

Going into the 2nd day my picks are:
3rd Round (77th, 81st, 95th)
4th Round (119th, 128th)
5th Round (160th)
6th Round (161st, 166th, 170th, 171st, 188th, 192nd)
7th round (201st)

Plans are Robinson, Shields and Serna with my 3rd rounders then see what else I can pick up. Onto to day 2
3rd round pick (77) Kevin Robinson (WR)
3rd round pick (81) Arman Shields (WR)
I traded up to get Serna so: 3rd round pick (82) Alexis Serna (K)
4th round pick (119) Andrew Crummey (RG)
4th round pick (128) Xavier Adibi (LOLB)
5th round pick Nigel Greene
6th round pick (166) Craig Stewart (FB)
6th round pick (170) Cole Bennett (TE)
6th round pick (171) Caleb Campbell (SS)
6th round pick (188) Drew Radovich (LG)
6th round pick (192) Tashard Choice (HB) my GM was actually on at me to draft this guy from the 4th round
7th round pick (201) Keith Zinger (TE)

Well that’s it I ended up with 15 picks in this draft. Next year I have a 2nd, 3rd, 2 in the 6th and a 7th. Obviously this year was a major rebuilding year and hopefully next year will be finding the missing pieces. My next post will be tomorrow after pre season with my final squad for the upcoming year.

Undrafted rookie wise I got:
J.Forsett (HB)
H.Nakamura (CB)
W.Adams (RG)
T.Jessup (SS)
T.Bake (RE)

As always please let me know what you all think about how the first off season for Jason McDaniels G-men has gone.

Last edited by cabowers; 01-25-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: missed out my 5th round pick
Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Rookie

Rookie Signing

Ok so here is what all my rookies ended up with:
Rashard Mendenhall (RB) – $16.23M/ 5 yrs, $5M signing bonus
Pat Sims (DT) - $3.05M/4 yrs, $1.5M signing bonus, Start 16 ($1M)
Dre Moore (DT) - $2.16M/4 yrs, 0 signing bonus, Start 16 ($1M), 50 Tackles ($1M)
Josh Johnson (QB) - $2.93M/4 yrs, 0 signing bonus
Kevin Robinson (WR) - $1.71M/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus, Start 16 ($250K), 1000 receiving yards ($250K)
Arman Shields (WR) - $1.63M/3 yrs, 500K signing bonus
Alexis Serna (K) - $1.65M/3 yrs, 250K signing bonus
Andrew Crummey (RG) - $1.39M/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus
Xavier Adibi (LOLB) - $1M/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus, Start 16 ($1M), 50 Tackles ($1M)
Nigel Green (RT) - $650K/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus
Craig Stewart (FB) - $680K/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus
Cole Bennett (TE) - $660K/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus, didn’t catch the incentives but he’ll never make them
Caleb Campbell (SS) - $680K/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus, Start 16 ($250K)
Drew Radovich (LG) - $890/ 3 yrs, 0 signing bonus
Tashard Choice (HB) - $650K/3 yrs, 0 signing bonus
Keith Zinger (TE) - $870/2 yrs, 0 signing bonus

Ok so everyone except Mendenhall, Johnson, Adibi and Bennett went through first time.

New season goals came up – sign Mendenhall, get Buress, Umenyiora and Samuels play knowledge up to 48% and add 10 new plays.

I signed up Mendenhall, Johnson, Adibi and Bennett before my first pre season game. I also brought in Trent Dilfer and a RT from free agency. I also brought in Chris Simms for a 4th round pick. I also went shopping for a TE and a RG as without these my running game wouldn’t get off the ground however no one was willing to trade so I settled down to use what I had. I won’t bore you with pre-season details except to say Shaun O’Hara tore his ACL and was out 7-12 months. So he went on IR and out I went shopping for a C this time. I couldn’t get a one in a trade so settled for a new RT who I would move across to C. Oh the joys.

I ended up going 1-3. I moved some players around the roster to fill it out and get some players who I wanted in but would have ended up cut if not moved into another position. I have attached my final roster to this post.

I got some new goals which included winning 3 of my first 4 games, beating the browns and eagles. Keeping spag and hiring a college coach. Shud be fun. The owner's expectations was to finish above .500 i said below so i shud be ok this year.

Tomorrow I will start posting my regular season games.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Giants 08-09.doc (111.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by cabowers; 01-25-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

In my second year as the Texans, the Giants ruined the Colts perfect season in the super bowl. Imagine something like that happening in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »