Home

When is the best time to sign a free agent?

This is a discussion on When is the best time to sign a free agent? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
When is the best time to sign a free agent?

This has already been posted, but I could not find it in a search.

I have a QB that will cost me gobs of money. 5 yr 35 mil.. roughly. If i sign him during the season, isnt it more like a 4 yr deal then? Because the current year he is playing would be part of the 5 yrs, correct? So if I wait until the end of the year, what will probably happen: will he ask for a 4 yr deal 35 mil or something like that?

Basically, I want to sign him but I want to get the most years out of him for the cheapest price. It just seems if I sign him during the season, I will be wasting 1 yr on this contract because he is already playing for me. Not to mention, his current cost on the team is 500k..

Should I wait until the end of the season to sign or sign him during the season?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: When is the best time to sign a free agent?

It kinda depends on what other QBs could be available in the offseason and also what other FAs will be available. You can often get a player cheaper in free agency but if they are one of the top FAs available and another team wants them you can end up having to pay big.

Also, with elite players you are more likely to have to pay bigger in free agency than during the season where with more average players it can be the other way.

If I can get a player during the season for a reasonable ammount I ussually do that rather than taking a chance with his price going up. If the 4 years for whatever will be left of the 35 mil after this seasons salary is affordable go with that. If that is a stretch for you then take a chance.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
It kinda depends on what other QBs could be available in the offseason and also what other FAs will be available. You can often get a player cheaper in free agency but if they are one of the top FAs available and another team wants them you can end up having to pay big.

Also, with elite players you are more likely to have to pay bigger in free agency than during the season where with more average players it can be the other way.

If I can get a player during the season for a reasonable ammount I ussually do that rather than taking a chance with his price going up. If the 4 years for whatever will be left of the 35 mil after this seasons salary is affordable go with that. If that is a stretch for you then take a chance.
Thanks for the feedback.
I also just read on another post, if you do not resign during the season, they lose all playbook knowledge.. That alone could make the resigning now a good idea rather than waiting.

Its kinda a bummer tho, he signs a 5 yr deal, but it actually will only be a 4 yr deal, effectively
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

Yea, I think they lose knowledge which with a QB could make an extra couple mil worth it. Yes, it is a 4 year deal for but the first years salary still counts toward the 35 mil so really its only like a 28 - 30 milion dollar deal as far as counting against your cap those 4 years depending on bonus and everything.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Yea, I think they lose knowledge which with a QB could make an extra couple mil worth it. Yes, it is a 4 year deal for but the first years salary still counts toward the 35 mil so really its only like a 28 - 30 milion dollar deal as far as counting against your cap those 4 years depending on bonus and everything.
Ya..thats true..I would rather pay him 500k that first year tho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9Iron
Thanks for the feedback.
I also just read on another post, if you do not resign during the season, they lose all playbook knowledge.. That alone could make the resigning now a good idea rather than waiting.
Yeah, it sucks. I had Brian Dawkins walk out of contract talks during the season. He had over 90% mastered and learned but he never came back to talk about his contract till the first day of FA. Then I signed him on day one and boom 0%.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »