Home

OLB: Caraun Lawrence or Mister Wright?

This is a discussion on OLB: Caraun Lawrence or Mister Wright? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 13
OLB: Caraun Lawrence or Mister Wright?

Im running a 3-4 and debating whether or not I should take Caraun Lawrence or Mister Wright to play OLB? As many know, Lawrence is a DE but he has 94 speed. I think Wright has 86 Spd. When you look at their attributes there are tradeoffs. But one thing that caught my attention was the cover skills of Lawrence when converting him to OLB. Has anyone encountered a problem with coverage when using DEs as OLBs?

In general, how has Wright worked out for everyone? What about Lawrence, in particular as an OLB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: OLB: Caraun Lawrence or Mister Wright?

Well you really have already listed exactly what would happen. Both are GREAT players and I have used them both (though admittedly not Lawrence as an OLB).

If you are blitzing your OLB's almost ALL the time, then definitely go for Lawrence. He is dominating. But if you only blitz, say, half the time, go with Wright. He is a solid all around tackler and a great OLB.

I have found that pressure on the QB is more important than ANYTHING on defense in this game (and in the real NFL too). I would sacrifice coverage for this. I blitz all the darn time (tho not with the 3-4 as I do not like the formation). So, long story short from all my babbling) is that I would go with Lawrence and blitz him like a madman.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhed
Well you really have already listed exactly what would happen. Both are GREAT players and I have used them both (though admittedly not Lawrence as an OLB).

If you are blitzing your OLB's almost ALL the time, then definitely go for Lawrence. He is dominating. But if you only blitz, say, half the time, go with Wright. He is a solid all around tackler and a great OLB.

I have found that pressure on the QB is more important than ANYTHING on defense in this game (and in the real NFL too). I would sacrifice coverage for this. I blitz all the darn time (tho not with the 3-4 as I do not like the formation). So, long story short from all my babbling) is that I would go with Lawrence and blitz him like a madman.
That does actually help. Thanks. My situation is that Im trying to completely turnover my roster in 2 years and to have only computer generated players. I started by taking over the Broncos in the 2008 draft, where I traded my first day picks for future picks. I think I have around 15 draft picks in 2009. I have 2 firsts and 3 seconds. I also have 2 firsts in 2010. Im starting off by focusing on defense and the running game. I have a top 10 pick and a 20 something pick in 2009. I thought about getting one of the DTs with the top 10 pick but, more than that, I want to trade down for a first round pick in 2010 (making it 3). I want to trade down and get Lawrence/Wright and then with my 20 something pick get Burke (a RG from Stanford). Then with my 3 seconds I want to get Bates (MLB Alabama) and Spencer Anderson (LG Notre Dame). Theres a DT Ive scouted from Texas who I think will be good that should be available as an anchor for my 3-4 later.

Then in 2010, with my 3 firsts, Im shooting for the Bo Jackson clone and Erickson (LT North Carolina), Blake Onken in the late first and his brother in the second round.

Thats what Im shooting for. And then from there, Im hoping to fill out the rest of the roster along the way. I want to trade Cutler, Marshall,...the whole lot of them and completely build my own team. But I want a stalwart running game and also to be able to pressure the QB. I recognize what youve pointed out about generating pressure. This game adheres to the same approach to defense that Ernst Lindemann had to captaining ships ("I will not let my ship be shot out from under my a**").
Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

I haven't used Lawrence as an OLB, but he is an absolute beast for me, I use the Ravens D, and I switched him from RE to LE about 4 games into the season, when he only had 1 sack, and he ended up getting 24 sacks on the season (24! O_o), including 8 in the final game (8! O_o). He got most of these sacks from the 4-3 though. It also can't hurt to have Suggs blitzing from the same side
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman41
I haven't used Lawrence as an OLB, but he is an absolute beast for me, I use the Ravens D, and I switched him from RE to LE about 4 games into the season, when he only had 1 sack, and he ended up getting 24 sacks on the season (24! O_o), including 8 in the final game (8! O_o). He got most of these sacks from the 4-3 though. It also can't hurt to have Suggs blitzing from the same side
I like overloading one the right side on the blitz. And depending on down and distance, I like shifting the DL accordingly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Im running a 3-4 and debating whether or not I should take Caraun Lawrence or Mister Wright to play OLB? As many know, Lawrence is a DE but he has 94 speed. I think Wright has 86 Spd. When you look at their attributes there are tradeoffs. But one thing that caught my attention was the cover skills of Lawrence when converting him to OLB. Has anyone encountered a problem with coverage when using DEs as OLBs?

In general, how has Wright worked out for everyone? What about Lawrence, in particular as an OLB?
When I edited Lawrence into an OLB, his man and zone coverage were 10 and 10. So if you were to use him as an OLB, he would suck in coverage. This is exactly like Vernon Gholston. I picked him up in free agency one time and he sucked in coverage as a linebacker. I converted him to a RE and he was awesome, he has a high power move and high finesse move and his potential tops out as 88 as a D-Lineman.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon
When I edited Lawrence into an OLB, his man and zone coverage were 10 and 10. So if you were to use him as an OLB, he would suck in coverage. This is exactly like Vernon Gholston. I picked him up in free agency one time and he sucked in coverage as a linebacker. I converted him to a RE and he was awesome, he has a high power move and high finesse move and his potential tops out as 88 as a D-Lineman.
My dirty little secret is that i do this almost every franchise I take over I trade for Gholston in year 2 and always convert him to a LE. While most people consider him a bust in real life, I still hold hope for him. I hope the jets convert to a 4-3 and put him as a DE instead of a LB.

I am biased of course because I personally think he is one of the best DE's in HC. An underrated stat for a DL is FATIGUE! Gholston never gets tired and I can keep him out there almost all the time.

In summary, if you make Gholston's job ONLY to rush the passer as an end, he is superman. I'd like to think this can happen for him in the NFL one day as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »