Home

Any advice from those who've done Chicago

This is a discussion on Any advice from those who've done Chicago within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: Any advice from those who've done Chicago

Been playing individual games for awhile and one "it don't count" quick career to get a feel before I start my Chicago one.

I've never really considered the Motivator skill before. I was thinking more along the lines of boosting playbook training to counter the hit of implementing new playbooks. But you raise a good point, once they get it learned that becomes a less effective use of points. Might be a better idea to maximize potentials for the long term and let time catch up on the learning curve.

Gave me something to think about.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Any advice from those who've done Chicago

I have done Chicago twice, once before the patch as Lovie and the second after the patch as a new created coach. Both times I started after the draft, the way I see it is I have to pick up someone else's slack. OK some of the things I did, both times I kept the tampa 2 and the powerrun but on my second time around I changed some formation on my playbooks from what I had learned my first time around. Things I can tell you, Craig Stelkz is a beast so I started him emmidiately at FS, I moved Mike Brown to CB where he is better and had a whole on SS but you can move Vasher there, he would be like 88 over all if you want.

The first time around the running game was a complete disaster, Forte had a 79 potential and fumbled after every 5th carry. I ended up signing kevin jones and and he was my primary back. but running the ball was an absolute pain and I stayed away from it as much as I could. Kyle Orton has more awareness and I believe more accuracy but his balls are thrown so slowly that he would get picked off even when making a good decision so I decided to start Grossman instead (I think he had a 69 pot, ouch). The one good thing is that Grossman has a cannon for an arm (97 rating) but his awareness was on the floor. What I did with him is that I tried to get the most out of his rifle arm and bad decision making by mostly using quick passes because one he wouldn't have to make too many reads and it would take advantage of his strong arm. This payed dividens BIG TIME for me. The first week agianst the Colts he had 5 TDs and like 2-3 picks and we won the game. At the end of the season he had 42 TDs and 36 INTs and I finished with a 10-6 record. The defense bailed me out a few times and progressed greatly. The fallowing year in free agency I looked for 2 the highest ranked offensive lineman and gave him whatever it took to get him in Navy Blue (I was still cheap when it came to give them contracts though). After that I looked for the best QB available and signed him to what ever it took (it was David Garrard with a 90 pot!).Than I spent all my efforst in the draft, I first hunted down offensive lineman and than I got me a HB. Bingo, I got me a 94 over all RG and a 90 HB. In one off season I had added a 90 QB, 92 LG, a 94 RG a 90 RT and 90 HB and I had Kruitz at 94 and Williams at 89. The offense was fixed! After that I spent all my efforts on drafting and trading players away for picks and eventually my team grew into a beast.

The second time around I did the samething but this time I spent most of my time drafting players and trading down for more picks. It was more of a disaster and I was glad I didn't get fired my first few seasons but I wanted to create my team with only players I drafted, home grown talent. It took longer but it payed off far more than the first time around. Currently I am on my 5th year and my team is STACKED. 38 of my 53 man roster is a 90 potential and above!!! Every single starter for the exception of the FB (89) is a 90 pot + and there are a ton of players behind them to replace them if necessary. I have gotten some FAs but a few of them I regret because I now have rookies that are better than them. I can for see me going to the Super Bowl for the next 5-9 years. Also both times after the first season I fired the entire coaching staff for the exception SP, the GM and the OC I believe and got me the best available at what ever cost.

Last edited by Obelysk; 03-19-2009 at 12:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »