Home

Questionable releases/ lack of resigning players by the CPU?

This is a discussion on Questionable releases/ lack of resigning players by the CPU? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Questionable releases/ lack of resigning players by the CPU?

So, I'm in the offseason just after the 2009 season and I noticed a lot of strange moves by the CPU...

It would be one thing if a team didn't re-sign a player because they are old, overall is declining, or it says they "Refuse to re-sign"

and its reasonable to cut a player if they are making more than they are worth...

BUT- I noticed on the Chargers, Antonio Gates was released after a pro bowl year (90+ catches, 1300+ yards, 12 TDs), with an overall of 94 at age 29. Even if h is making too much money, you don't cut your best player- you make something work out. Additionally, they didn't re-sign Philip Rivers, but they used the franchise tag on Merriman.

A few other strange cuts were the Browns cutting Winslow (I know, he was traded IRL, so its not totally crazy, but hes an 88, so they should try to get something for him) and the Colts cutting Dallas Clark (91 overall)

As for the Pats, this shocked me the most... They didn't resign ANY of their 5 starting OL. NONE. How could they not at least re-sign 2 or 3? Each one is rated bewteen 88-92, and a few of them were pro bowlers. They also released Vrabel (again, traded IRL, but hes an 86) and did not re-sign Hobbs (88 overall)

Normally, the computer is really good about signing FAs and draft picks to fit needs, but this just really confused me. They don't have solid backups to justify these moves, and its not like the FA pool is saturated with replacements who are a lot better...

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Madden '10 "foundation" + depth of Head Coach 09 = my dream franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Questionable releases/ lack of resigning players by the CPU?

I think the CPU will often do something according to how the team builds ie through free agency(including players on current roster) or the draft.

So to me someone like the Pats might not resign their players because of that.

I think a lot of moves are dependant on salary cap. Ive seen the giants cut Osi Umenyiora due to his high salary.

Also I think the game needs to offer a more flexible salary negotitation function so that you can negotiate with a player to restructure his contract in benefit of the team. Also to be able to resign players to longer contracts will help
Old 03-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

in my franchise, ALL the tight ends that are 89 or higher get cut every year. They sign with a new team and get cut the following year.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostletommy
in my franchise, ALL the tight ends that are 89 or higher get cut every year. They sign with a new team and get cut the following year.
In addition to TE's, FB in my leagues are all one year free agents. You can have your pick of 83+ FB's year after year.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Teams probably have build through draft philosophy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

This game just seems to undervalue TE's for some reason. You can get alot for trading them, But they will alway be available it seems. I sent Gonzales to the Falcons in my 1st year of the KC franchise for a 1st (3rd pick) and 7th round pick. They released him the next year. I agree, the CPU will do crazy stuff like that all the time.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

For some reason or other, it's nowhere near as bad with the roster update and starting in the preseason rather than the first offseason.

If you start out in preseason, the free agent options in the next few offseasons are a lot less. I think some of the contracts were reworked in the update so that some teams have more cap room, and some players have different levels of cap hits for releasing. the TE's still become FA's more frequently than any other position it seems, but it's a lot less of a shopping spree from what I've noticed.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Please tell me why Chris Johnson was available after my first season. Yes, I'd like to sign Chris Johnson to a 1-year, 1-million dollar contract...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »