Home

my "3 whores" defense

This is a discussion on my "3 whores" defense within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
my "3 whores" defense

I've found a formation that is killing opposing offenses in almost every situation.

I start with a 3-4, and modify it.

3 D-linemen in the middle pinched in pretty close to each other; close enough that the Guards and center are lined up with them.
1 CB on each side covering the wideouts.

then 2OLBs lined up to the outside of each DE off the line a little.
1MLB lined up directly behind the DT, blitzing. The DT should blitz left or right on every play leaving a lane down the middle for the MLB.

then I stack my best backup LB or CB behind the MLB.
and stack my FS, and SS behind the OLBs.
make them right on top of each other, like a QB taking a snap.
(which is where the name comes from my OLBs and MLB look like prostitutes before the snap)

Now you can run blitzes, zones, whatever out of this formation, and it always works for my team. I always send at least 2-3 blitzers to get past the HB or FB blockers. Blitzing down the middle especially because the guards and center match up with the Defensive Line and the LBs get a straight path to the QB, or RB.

There is never enough time for the Wideouts to get deep before someone is on top of the QB, and when he does throw it you can get a lot of picks from your CBs in man coverage, and Safeties or OLBs pulling into zones. Play action will work against this coverage, and sometimes a pitch play will too, but I've held teams to single digits, by ONLY running this formation the whole game. No shutouts yet, but I think if I had more talented players I could have a few.

On a side note, stacking Wide Outs works too. The guy in the back is almost always cleared out by the receiver(s) in front.
I have a "Pancakes" play on offense and defense that works well using this idea, but the defense is 50 / 50 at best so I think I'll toss it soon. Basically I have 3 D linemen and EVERYONE else lined up on top of the nose tackle, it looks hillarious. On offense I like to stack up to 4 wideouts on one side confusing coverages, and most of my plays have wideouts in I formations on each side.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: my "3 whores" defense

Sounds like you're working a AI flaw.

That formation sound really vulnerable, to among others, quick inside slants and double tight end formations that flare the primary underneath a streaking wideout.

I'm interested to know that if the computer found that the double TE set was working, if it starts abandoning it's set playbook and overloads the calls that work.

Please post if you find a team/coach that does alter the gameplan to deal with your unexpected D.

Last edited by deaduck; 03-23-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: bad spelling...even worse than normal
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Rookie

My 2 starting CBs are studs. Waddell (a future 50) and Ellis Hobbs who is maxed at 85 or 86 right now. My 3rd DB is Brandon Flowers who's also in the 80s with a higher potential then Hobbs. so they pretty much shut down the Wide Outs 1 on 1.

The formation is actually most effective against quick slants and double tight end sets. Here's why. my OLBs or Safties will drop into zones or play man to man depending on however I set it up. So in that situation you have two guys sitting on top of the Tight Ends, anytime the QB tries to pass to one of them I sometimes get a pick, or more often knock it away.

this is basically putting 9 guys in the box. Which you would think would be great against the run; but it's acually better against the pass. Anytime the QB is under center then I know I'm in good shape with this formation.

I forgot to add that Shotgun formations are dangerous because the QB has more time to find a receiver. If I think they'll be running a lot of shotgun (like if they're down late) then I'll make sure to run a lot of zones out of this formation, and only send one or two guys blitzing. Or run a dime formation instead.

This is actually a really good formation to use in goaline situations too. I've also noticed that some teams are killed by this formation other teams handle it fairly well. The only thing I can tell is that the teams that handle it well have a stud QB that passes fast, and a good offensive line. The eagles were tough, and one other team that I can't remember.

I'm excited to go up against it. I think next time I play a division rival I should see it at least once since I run it so often that they've probably stolen it. However, I run a lot of shotgun and have Zazzali so I think I'll be ok.

Last edited by DocBean; 03-24-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
MVP

How is "nine men in the box" defending the inside slant route of a WR lined up agianst man coverage?

Unless they're playing inside/out (and giving up a ton of angles with no help over the top) your CB's are either fouling the reciever or depending on bad Quarterbacking to stop this route.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Blocking AI is horrible, and putting defenders directly behind each other seems to confuse it even more. A simple 3-3-5 with LBs stacked behind DLs will illustrate this principle as well - you can defeat most runs with 6 in the box because the AI simply can't "find" your LBs to block.

Some consider it cheating, others think it's fun. But don't fool yourself into thinking that it's sound football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Rookie

for deaduck, here's how it works.
if it's an inside slant sometimes my CBs bump the Wide Outs and throw off the timing, or my OLBs or safeties pull into flat zones so they basically cut off any quick slant route.

The CBs are on top of the Wide Outs, so they do get beat deep, but that's VERY rare, I think because 1. my CBs are good (Waddell just got 3 picks in my last game, and brought 2 of them back for TDs) and 2. my defense gets to the QB pretty fast not leaving enough time for them to get deep.

If the LBs or safeties are blitzing, sometimes a pass gets thru on a slant route, but usually only for a gain of 4 or 5. Like I said, I haven't shut anyone out yet, but it's a very strong defense for a team with outclassed defenders. My D Line is overmatched most games, my Linebackers are alright, and my safeties aren't great, so I take advantage of my talented CBs, and do what I can to help the others out.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanness
Blocking AI is horrible, and putting defenders directly behind each other seems to confuse it even more. A simple 3-3-5 with LBs stacked behind DLs will illustrate this principle as well - you can defeat most runs with 6 in the box because the AI simply can't "find" your LBs to block.

Some consider it cheating, others think it's fun. But don't fool yourself into thinking that it's sound football.
I wouldn't consider it Unsound football. I'm not trying to work out a glitch, like you said a 3-3-5 does the same thing, and the Computer (Steelers have used it a lot) uses it on me, so I made my own version. The 3-3-5 doesn't work for my team for some reason, so I use 9 in the box. It is beatable by a lot of teams, but I think it's effective for my personnel so why wouldn't you do what works for your team? When it's not working I change out for a more traditional 4-3, but more often then not it works. Great coaches find systems that work for them, and fit personnel to it. I've fit a system to my personnel, and will continue to find players that fit it.

I have fast linebackers, so I blitz them often, they can't guard a 10 year old girl in man or zone coverage, so I take advantage of their strengths. My CBs are great, so I let them play 1 on 1. I'll take my chances with them. My DLinemen can't seem to stay on their feet so I put 3 pancakes on the field instead of 4.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
MVP

I'm not saying it's not working for you in the game but if you put this formation on a REAL field with players not governed by AI parameters...you'd be getting toasted.

As meanness said, it's not "sound" football.

I'm not calling it "cheating" or "glitching". I'm just saying the logic your attaching for it's success is flawed. You're outsmarting the game not the team you're playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »