Home

House rules?

This is a discussion on House rules? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: House rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter73
General rules:

Don't look at the draft preview where it shows you over rated players and sleepers.

Limit scouting. Unlike some people, I have no problem with scouting enough to reveal player comparisons They aren't always totally accurate. I've seen players compared to big names who really weren't all that good once I drafted them. But I would advise avoiding doing any individual workouts. Unlocking potential is just too overpowered. If you draft a bust, just deal with it, no matter how much it sucks.

Start with a created coach and new playbooks. Both make the game more diffucult starting out.

Avoid free agent sprees. Starting with a bad team with high cap room and signing tons of talent makes you very good, very fast. I don;t generally do much in free agency at all, but if you do, I'd advise setting a limit on the number of players you pick up I would personally go with limiting FA pick-ups to maybe 1 or 2 players with overall ratings above 80.

Don't sign extremely high level coaches. Coaches matter in this game. Having a Mike Martz for your OC will make your passing game damn near unstoppable, regardless of your QB. One exception, don't get a bad trainer. It just sucks.

Be careful with getting special skills for your coach. Some of them are valuable, like the Charisma one that limits approval hits. This is good for a starting coach on a bad team. Getting a lot of special skills relating to specific positions can make you too overpowered to quickly. One exception is I think it's ok to take a couple of the skills for running the ball, since that can be kinda tough to do at first.

My own opinion on this one, but I generaly decide what kind of coach I want to be, and stick to it. If I'm an offensive coach, I'll call the offensive plays and delegate defensive playcalling to my DC. If I have a poor DC, I just have to live with it until he gets better or I can fire him.

Look carefully at the team you want to take over. The Falcons are just nowhere near as bad as some of the other teams. They have some good defensive talent, and if you drop a QB in, you can be good very quickly with that team.

If you aren't married to a team, and just want the best challange you can, look at the division the team is in. For example, the Redskins look pretty good on paper when you start, but they get pretty much handled by every team in their division. Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants will all be obstacles to overcome before you can think about the playoffs. I went 10-6 one year with them and still finished last in my division.

For more challange, consider teams with cap problems. The Raiders or Lions are good examples here. Neoither has a tone of talent, but you are locked into so many long term, bug contracts that it forces you do rebuild slower than other teams. You just can't afford to get a lot of help up front because the cap situation won't let you.

Stay away from the Jack English draft path. It's really stacked with talent the first couple years. It's insanely easy to build a dominant team very fast in that path.

Anyway, this is all I can think of right now. Hope something in it helps you out.

Thanks a ton man like seriously, great post.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

How do you determine which draft class is which?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_max
How do you determine which draft class is which?
Sometime after the last preseason game Scheffter makes an announcement about the upcoming draft class. There are 4:

1. Jack English: Scheffter raves about Jack English being the next John Elway.

2. Mike Zazzali: Scheffter mentions Zazzali's name in his little monologue.

3. Ozzie Jones: Scheffter talks about dominant d-linemen in the class. He says that 3 of the top 4 picks could be d-linemen.

4. Maceo Sweetney: Scheffter mentions quarterback Luke Rambis and Maceo Sweetney.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonolith
Sometime after the last preseason game Scheffter makes an announcement about the upcoming draft class. There are 4:

1. Jack English: Scheffter raves about Jack English being the next John Elway.

2. Mike Zazzali: Scheffter mentions Zazzali's name in his little monologue.

3. Ozzie Jones: Scheffter talks about dominant d-linemen in the class. He says that 3 of the top 4 picks could be d-linemen.

4. Maceo Sweetney: Scheffter mentions quarterback Luke Rambis and Maceo Sweetney.
Ahh I see. I remember him talking about that Ozzie Jones fella

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »