Home

I have a problem child.

This is a discussion on I have a problem child. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
I have a problem child.

I'm faced with a tough coaching decision.

I have a MLB, Champ Lacy, from the Zazzali draft class, that is the most unhappy guy I've ever seen.

I cannot read this guy. He's a GREAT player. I think he has a potential in the upper 80s or lower 90s, and is a beast on the field even though he's only rated at like 79 or 80 right now as a rookie. Anyway, I can't ever get the guy to respond well to ANYTHING. If he makes a great play in the backfield and I respond calmly his rating goes down 1-3 points. If I respond emotionally it goes down 1-3 points. I don't get it. I've seen his ratings go up MAYBE once. It ticks my off when my coach says "We're moving them backwards!" or something like that and I respond accordingly and ALL of my players ratings up up except his!!! His goes down Every time.

What do I do? Do I trade him now, or hang on to him?
He's a great player, might even be leading my team in tackles, but he's ticking me off. Glass half-empty type of guy I guess.

All of my players with the exception of a couple backups that don't play have coach approvals in the 97-99 range. But Lacey's approval is in the 70s, and sometimes lower 80s. Which isn't bad, but my team is 5-1, and I think his are only high because I give them all a day off after each win.

How do I find out what it is that makes him hate me, so I can avoid players like that in future drafts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: I have a problem child.

It sounds like it is his personality type conflicts with yours. I havent gotten all of that figured out yet...but there is some combinations that dont work well. Even though his approval is in the 70s and 80s what is his status? If he is content and playing well...even though his approval of you isnt the highest I might go ahead and keep him. I guess it goes back to that old saying...you cant please all of the people all of the time.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think his status is content. I need to check.
Like I said I like the guy, at least the way he plays.

and I got him in the 5th or 6th round, so his contract is great.
but I also look at him like he's great trade potential.

I think I can find another stud MLB in the draft, so if I can get a 1st or 2nd for him after the year is over and he's a probowler and rating out in the upper 80s then I think I've done a good job turning a 5th into a 2nd round pick. But then again I think I have a diamond in the rough with a low contract, so if I can keep him performing on the field maybe I look elsewhere on my team for holes to fill.

I'm just afraid that with his attitude not working with mine that if we start losing he'll start to be a problem, or at the very least will be hard to resign.

I do like the realism this player has added to the game for me.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

Shot...if he is playing well at this point I would go ahead and keep him. Maybe put him on the trade block and see what you can get if you want to give that a try. Worst thing is you waste the time negotiating with someone and not like what they offer. I have one like that...a fs...we dont get along....the highest approval I had was an 83...but kind of the same way this guy is for you. I kept him around until the final year of his contract...when he wanted outrageous stuff I talked to him the first week and then put him on the trade block and see who bites. Keep me posted about what you do. This is a side of the game I really like because it is so hard to figure out.

I am playing as the panthers now..but messed around for a couple of years as the browns and the titans...have started a bears, lions and jets team as well. I am trying alot of different combinations of stuff. The longest I stayed with 1 team is 4 years and then restarted everything based off of what I learned. Things are going pretty good so far now.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 12

OK I may come across a little flaky here but does it really matter? I had Adewale Ogunleye with a similar issue and I kept him, he was good and played for me until he retired. I did cut him right before he retired though. LOL So unless it really bugs you I don't see the issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

If hes playing well keep him till the final year of his contract and dump him for highest pick
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
If hes playing well keep him till the final year of his contract and dump him for highest pick
agreed.

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

That whole coach reaction system is flawed. It's pretty ridiculous when you react emotionally (in a good way) to a huge catch or something and you lose like -4 approval points from the receiver. Please explain that one to me. I just ignore it now and do what i want.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »