Home

Re-signing back-up players

This is a discussion on Re-signing back-up players within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Re-signing back-up players

It's tough to not resign players in general because they'll ask you for contract negotiations constantly because they can't get the hint. I lose approval like every other time i ignore a player for contract talks.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnwsBucksFanNC
That is what I have started doing as well. Last night got wome wild contract requests though. My b-up lg wanted 3 yrs 18 mil...a couple of others wanted similar contracts. Which skill from the gm helps the most with contracts like that?
Unless hes very good sounds like you have the glitch
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I think part of it is a glitch...but then it will work itself out. I had some outrageous contract requests and when I walked out they became more reasonable.

I always talk to them even if I have no intention of signing them. I let them make me an offer then walk out. That way they are always saying they are negotiating. I dont ignore them until the very end of the season. It does get very time consuming...but it is how I keep my rating from tanking.

I have one question...when it says that I dont have enough under my salary cap to even talk to someone...is that for the year I am in or the next year? I have my lolb that wont talk to me for that reason...but I have 29 mil open next season...but I have about 9.8 this year. Is it because he wants a signing bonus of over 9.8? I would hate to think he wants more than 29 mil a year!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnwsBucksFanNC
I have one question...when it says that I dont have enough under my salary cap to even talk to someone...is that for the year I am in or the next year? I have my lolb that wont talk to me for that reason...but I have 29 mil open next season...but I have about 9.8 this year. Is it because he wants a signing bonus of over 9.8? I would hate to think he wants more than 29 mil a year!!
That applies to right now... contracts take effect the moment you sign them, so if you have no money now, you can't extend a contract.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

So if he is on contract for $500,000 this year and he signs a 2 mil contract he automatically goes over to the new contract...it doesnt wait until the year is over? If so...that is the pits. I would have thought the new contract wouldnt take effect until the old one was over...but then...it does make sense the other way as well.

So what about the signing bonus? I thought that came out of the year they sign the new contract.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Rookie

Well my coaching staff just destroyed my off-season haha... They kept suggesting players to get rid of. Not even thinking, I'm cutting these players I don't want anyhow, eventually working my way up to over 21 million in cap penalties and didn't realize it.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

Oh man!! I wonder sometimes why they ask to cut them?? I made the mistake the first couple of seasons to cut whomever they suggested and cut some of my top players. So now when I see that "cut dead weight" before I open it I go and look at the roster and depth chart to see what all of this is going to cost me.

Well...at least you cant get fired before the end of the season so maybe you can win the sb and the owner wont mind about the money so much!!

Good luck!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
Rookie

I was able to trade away DE John Abraham to get myself about 27 mil in cap room post-draft. So now I have some room to sign a few of my picks and get a few free agents.

I would have kept Abraham but he had an injury riddled season. He literally got injured every other game. Only ended up playing a total of 6 full games.

The main reason was financial, but his injuries made the decision a little easier.

My defensive line is pretty terrible though. My rookied DE on the other end madee defensive rookie of the year, but both starting DT's as well as Abraham were injured all year. The d-line was so awful, two of my linebackers made it to the pro-bowl from their stats getting so pumped up, having to do so much work on the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »