Home

Players Exceeding Initial Potential?

This is a discussion on Players Exceeding Initial Potential? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Players Exceeding Initial Potential?

What causes a players potential value to rise?

When I picked up my quarterback in free agency, his overall was 75 and his potential was 77.

Now 11 weeks into the season and both overall and potential are both at 80.

His performance hasn't been great or anything so I was wondering what all factors are involved in order for this type of thing to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Players Exceeding Initial Potential?

Did you change philosophies? That must have caused the change, some players are better fits for certain schemes and this can either slightly or greatly increase their overalls and potential. Also there is a a ability that you can purchase to raise all of your players abilities.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I had been upgrading my coaches throughout the season and some of his attribute were raising slowly throughout the season. Suppose I just didn't connect the dots on that one
Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

I think its coaching and production
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

That is what I think as well...but I wonder if that causes them to drop as well. I traded a 6th round pick for Santonio Holmes...ovr/pot81 as soon as he came in. He started as my 2nd reciever but I soon saw him drop on both to a 77 so I dropped him to my 3rd reciever. I ended up cutting him at the end of the year because he wanted a 3 yr 18 mil contract. Dang...my top 2 recievers dont get that much!!

So why would it drop like that? Isnt the overall that you see in trade negotations based on your stuff?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I occasionally have players with an OVR that exceeds their POT by a couple points. I haven't figured that one out yet. Usually if coaching skills boost a player's stats, the POT will rise too, but not always at the same rate it seems. A bit bizarre.

Zakk.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Potential is an estimate based on your GMs Potential Evaluation skill. If you've got a 5 in that, you can be pretty confident it's accurate. As your GM gets better at evaluating potential, his potential will change until it's right on. I think your GM "re-evaluates" each player on a weekly basis, so it'll pretty much change constantly until you get the "correct" evaluation.

I'm pretty sure once a player's been with the team for a certain amount of time, it locks in at his correct potential.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I had one that pot was major disappointment. I drafted a qb...Jake Scott out of a small school in Tx 2 years ago. He was listed as the sleeper by my gm. I checked him out and the numbers were awesome. He had a pot of 95 and I worked with him alot during the season and the offseason. At the end of the first season his overall was an 84 and my starter maxed out at an 88. The starter was 35 and wanted a 5 year deal to resign. So I figured my 2nd year player could take over the job. What a disaster!! His overall continued to climb but his number were awful!! At the end of his first year he had 19 tds, 25 INT and 2500 yrds. I gave him the benefit of the doubt...his overall had climbed to a 89 so I put it down to having 3 young recievers. Preseason was a disaster. Once again...figured it was the young o-line and the new qb, rb, and ol coaches. But after the 3rd game of the season where he had 5 tds and 12 INTs, I had to make a change. My gm had him locked into position (a lesson I learned when I benched my starter on his recommendation) so I decided to trade him. I got a 4th and 5th round pick in the next draft for him. I traded for jason campbell who was an over/pot of 88 and my offense took off!! Last night he was 24/32, 357 yds, 5 tds and 1 INT. He is listed on the Pro Bowl voting and has made my gm very happy. We are now 10-2 and leading the NFC South by 2 games.

I still cant figure out what happened with scott. Campbell's first game after I brought him better than's scott's last one..even though campbell only had 4 days to learn the playbook.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »