Home

Player Performance

This is a discussion on Player Performance within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: Player Performance

D/D's =defense/defenses
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Banned

jesse_8711's Arena

OVR: 5

im using baltimore's playbook it has 4-3 3-4 and 46...my coordinator who is 99 overall blitzes alot but we still end up with only 1 sack a game during gameplay
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I have been using the Tampa 2. I am at the end of my first year with the Browns (got the patch so decided to start everything over). I have fired pretty much the whole coaching staff and am trying to get singletary. Evan though my d-line coach was awful and the lb coach was not much better...I was able to get 21 sacks for the year. I am really hoping these go up with the new staff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Banned

jesse_8711's Arena

OVR: 5

yes im trying to figure out whether its my system, my players or the game?? although i do not have premier edge DE rushers i do have linebackers...Suggs Gholston and Bart Scott
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

I discovered the secret to good defense last night. In a preseason game with Cincy my new look Dolphins squared off against Palmer, Johnson and rookie phenom Manningham. I expected to get torched all night long since my secondary has been just average and I haven't yet gotten much pressure on the QB from the front seven. On the 5th play of the game Tony Bake leveled Palmer and he never returned to the game. Result? Palmer's back up threw 7 INTs, three of which got returned for TDs. They scored one meaningless TD on a bomb with 17 seconds on the clock. Final score 49-12 (they also got a FG and a safety).
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

Who do you have as ends? I have Odom and Bake...I have Wendell? Tyler and Robaire Smith as b-ups...my dts are so-so...but the tampa 2 is one of the better defenses I have seen in the game...I think it is around 85 plays and is classified as strong. I normally held my opponents to under 100 yds rushing (after they learned the playbook)
Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

I get tons of sacks, but I always call my own plays. A couple things I've picked up, in no particular order:

1) Good QBs won't get sacked much, period, no matter how often you blitz. Brady and Manning get the ball out of their hands very quickly.

2) Good coverage = sacks. Even average QBs will hit open receivers. As your DBs improve, you will have a lot more time to get to the QB. If you don't mind high risk/reward gambling, run a lot of man/press.

3) Some plays are just better than others. Experiment with 4-3 LOLB Blitz when Tony Bake is your LE. You'll be amazed at the results. Also, use adjustments to Flip Play and DL Shift Left/Right depending on the offensive formation. There's no reason to blitz into blockers if you can exploit the weaker side.

4) Play action absolutely neutralizes my blitzers. DB blitzes that are coming from the outside tend to work against play-action, because they are too far away to get fooled, but most LB blitzes just get eaten. Learn your opponents' play-calling patterns and guess when/how to blitz, and you will be a lot more effective.

5) Speed kills. This goes into the 'duh' category, but worth mentioning if you're new to the game. If you have slow, hulking run-stoppers at DE, you just aren't going to get to the QB as often. Acceleration first, then speed, are key stats for pass-rushers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've got Odom, Bake, Taylor and Ghoulston (traded for and converted) at DE so we're two deep there. Got Dre Moore and Jamarcus Boone at DT. My LBs are also sick with Ray Lewis (got Freddie Bates training to be his replacement), Keith Rivers and Patrick Willis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »