Home

Coaching staff, how do you handle it???

This is a discussion on Coaching staff, how do you handle it??? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Coaching staff, how do you handle it???

When I ask how you handle it, I want to know how you develop your coaching staff? this is how i handle it:

When i start a career i buy ambition, off season and regular season seminars, and advanced playbook training.

Thereafter, I buy skills for my Head Coach that can affect all 3 phases of the ball. This is what i do. I try to buy all performance skills, along with team chemistry...its important. I dont bother waisting points on play calling, and stragedy, cuz i call all plays, and i have my own stragedy...plus its a waist of points.

I also focus on buying for my Head Coach skills like charisma, charm, educator, motivator....e.t.c....you get the picture. I like to focus on these things, because it affects the entire team. NOt just one side of the ball....Now, you may ask how bout upgrading or buying skills that improve offense or defense...

I got this. I make sure that my offensive and defensive coordinators are being developed. There for, what ever skills i dont have, they have(i make sure of that), so it evens out. I mean players report to there position coaches, position coaches report to there coordinators( off & def), and the coordinators report to me. Thats why i take this approach. For example, since i focus on skills that help the whole team, i get skills for my coordinators that help there side of the ball.

Offense: things like QB readiness, RB disipline, and disiplin routine. I start at the treches on offense, then i work out work. O-line is important. But you can get the picture. I buy the special skills, all that i can, then i foucus on chemistry and performance, cuz after all, i focus on chemistry and performance for my head coach.

Defense: things like hard hitting, improved tackling, game film analysis, improved blizting....you get the picture. 1 thing that i stress at my coordinators, and my self is advanced playbook training. Why u ask? IN the game, play knowledge is very important. And since i have these skills, in practice if i run a play that is unlearned, it turns to learned in 1 rep, and in the game if i run a play thats unlearned, and the play has a positive result, then also it turns to learned.

For my position coaches, i improve/develop there regular skills. Like strength, intangibles, and learning, along with performance. I dont bother with chemistry, stragedy, or play calling. They dont call plays(i do),and they dont need a game day stragedy( i do that also), so its a waist of points. After all regular skills are purchased/upgraded, then i might focus on special skills.

But that how i handle it...let me know how you handle your staff....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Coaching staff, how do you handle it???

I handle it very similar to you.

One thing I do you didn't mention is, if I know I'm going to scrap a coach at the end of the year, I do not upgrade them.

EX: I hired a seconday coach who is about a 20 overall. He's pretty bad and hardly goes above a cap of 3 in any of his skills. He was the best of the "leftovers" since i made the playoffs. He's currently sitting with 13,000 unused upgrade points. I don't want to upgrade him because someone else will pick him up when I cut him after the playoffs this year. Why give another team the benefit of his upgrades?

I think this works. I've looked at coaches I've not upgraded in the past and I don't belive their unused points transfer with them if/when they resign with a new team.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntoatmeal
I handle it very similar to you.

One thing I do you didn't mention is, if I know I'm going to scrap a coach at the end of the year, I do not upgrade them.

EX: I hired a seconday coach who is about a 20 overall. He's pretty bad and hardly goes above a cap of 3 in any of his skills. He was the best of the "leftovers" since i made the playoffs. He's currently sitting with 13,000 unused upgrade points. I don't want to upgrade him because someone else will pick him up when I cut him after the playoffs this year. Why give another team the benefit of his upgrades?

I think this works. I've looked at coaches I've not upgraded in the past and I don't belive their unused points transfer with them if/when they resign with a new team.

The points do transfer with them. And there is a skill that you as a head coach can buy, that increases the coaches abilities by 1. Abilities like intangables, learning, and strength.

I still upgrade them even imma fire them. It could help me now and for this season. feel me.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Pro

moblipeg's Arena

OVR: 6

I develop mine differently. Since I call the offensive plays, I upgrade all offensive abilities for my coach and develop my position coaches on the defensive side of the ball. My OC almost becomes a non factor for my team.

For example, I hired Mike Singletary as my DC and gave him almost total control of everything. As a DC with an overall skill of 99 I let him do whatever he wants with that side of the ball while I concentrate on my offense. I only override him if it comes down to a serious situation, and even then I'll sometimes let him call the play.

My offensive position coaches I use for special abilities, but other than that, they are expendable as well.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblipeg
I develop mine differently. Since I call the offensive plays, I upgrade all offensive abilities for my coach and develop my position coaches on the defensive side of the ball. My OC almost becomes a non factor for my team.

For example, I hired Mike Singletary as my DC and gave him almost total control of everything. As a DC with an overall skill of 99 I let him do whatever he wants with that side of the ball while I concentrate on my offense. I only override him if it comes down to a serious situation, and even then I'll sometimes let him call the play.

My offensive position coaches I use for special abilities, but other than that, they are expendable as well.
I see what you do. I can understand what you saying. The only problem I have about my coordinators doing the play calling, is they only call the same 5 or so plays all game long.....I cant have that. I need to call different plays, and confuse the offense...u dig...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

BUMP!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward_1385
BUMP!!!
Thank you.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

The seminars and advanced playbook training will help you better learn the playbook(especially if you have a new one), but I don't think they should be the first special skills you get. Charisma, Charm, and Leadership are more important early on. It's also important to get Performance high early on. I don't think you need to get it maxed out early on, but you should get it to 3 or 4.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »