Home

Your Head Coach Notebook

This is a discussion on Your Head Coach Notebook within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Your Head Coach Notebook

I have read that a lot of people here have notebooks for their careers in this game. What exactly do you guys keep in your notebook? I'm thinking about doing the same, but have no idea where to even start. I guess getting my roster, their overall, potential and contracts would be a good start.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Your Head Coach Notebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs_rizzo
I have read that a lot of people here have notebooks for their careers in this game. What exactly do you guys keep in your notebook? I'm thinking about doing the same, but have no idea where to even start. I guess getting my roster, their overall, potential and contracts would be a good start.
You can keep anything and everything you choose to. Stats, contract...anything.

Me personally i have player personalities..to see who i want on my team, and to see who i wont resign cuz of there personality.

I keep roster info, player contracts & incentives(if any)

Players i scouted, and drafted, and im interested in. And where i drafted those players

At times u might need some of the info within the game, but cant go get it when u need it, cuz of the screen your on

I keep almost everything. Freeagent list, my cap situations for each four years. i keep track of my coaches.

I keep track of my draft picks. draft results, trades. there are some things i dont keep track of. like schedule...but i keep alot of info.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, IT ALL FALLS DOWN TO HOW U WANT TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR STUFF...BUT YOULL DEVELOP UR OWN STYLE.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

Wow, that's a ton of information but I'm sure it makes playing your career so much more entertaining. And yes, there are *PLENTY* of screens where you would like access to much more information before making a decision and you just can't access it.

How big of a role do players' personalities really play in the game?

Last edited by R1zzo23; 04-19-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

its honestly much easier to keep track of your info in a notebook rather than in a forum post(so ive basically given up on these franchise posts lol)

I actually use a few notebooks for my franchise. I have:
-one for only league transactions inseason, or from training camp to superbowl(trades/cuts/signings/resignings, all w/ value of contract), mine are in a different color

-one for offseason transactions(includes UDFAs), mine are in a different color

-one for all scouting

-one that basically has all the drafts written down, from picks 1-1 to 7-32. and trades. my picks/trades are in a different color

-one with all season results:games, divisions, top 5s, etc., and once again, my games are in a different color

-and on excel, i have the roster info and stuff, as well as the coach/gm/trainer info and stuff

pretty hardcore, but i find it more fun this way. but it is a tad bit extreme

edit: it is really difficult to keep track of all inseason transactions, so i just list the major ones. if i wrote down all the training camp cuts for every team etc. that would be suicide
Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

Wow, that's a crazy amount of information. Even though it is a lot of work, to have a history to your career is something to appreciate. I'm going to have to get something going.

Quick question: does it have a place in the game where all transactions are logged?

Last edited by R1zzo23; 04-19-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs_rizzo
Wow, that's a ton of information but I'm sure it makes playing your career so much more entertaining. And yes, there are *PLENTY* of screens where you would like access to much more information before making a decision and you just can't access it.

How big of a role do players' personalities really play in the game?
But i try to record things that i have time for, and also things i need. but most info i keep track of.

Players personalities play a big part. I mean no player is going to get arrested, or end up getting shot...lol

But it helps to identify the kind of identity you want your team to be. I dont want players that are selfish, and all about them selves. I want humble, hardworking, titans, captains, commanders...e.t.c...Also player personality plays a big part when contract talks role around. So it helps to have players that are flexible, or intimadaded, cuz they wont ask for huge contracts. And if they do, you can offer them want you want cuz they are such team players. feel me...so for me its huge...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

One thing I have started adding to my notebooks (I have one for each of the teams I have played and saved) is info about my coaching changes and plans.

I kept forgetting what I was saving my points for with my coaches. So now I write down what skill I want to get for them...how much it costs and the progression I want to follow. Then when it is time to update my coaches...I just look at the list on the screen and see how many points they have.

I also write down what my plans are for my coaches at the beginning of the year. That way I dont get distracted by what the owner is saying. I moved to the Eagles after winning the sb with the jets and one of the first things I did was go through the coaches so I know who to get rid of in the off-season.

I also go through and write down who I have on my depth chart...what their cap numbers are...their overall and their pot. That way I might be able to upgrade a b-up during fa. For example...you have a b-up rt who is a 72 overall and a 73 pot at 700/yr. A rt comes up with a 65 overall and is going for 650/yr...I try to snag him...they normally sign with no bonus so you can cut them if someone better comes along.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 24

Man there are a lot of hardcore players in this thread. I am new to this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »