Home

Philosophies and Coach Skills

This is a discussion on Philosophies and Coach Skills within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22
Philosophies and Coach Skills

I just got head coach (09) and I have some questions about some stuff, as the last time I played a football game was Madden 07'...
1. What would be a good playbook and set of philosophies for a 3-4 defense and a pass to run offense. Some of them seem similar...
2. What coach skills do you guys usually get?
3. What offensive/defensive plays are effective and which are not. I ask this because in some games some plays are crap due to how the game is. I also saw that screen passing was crap, so I was wondering if there was anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Philosophies and Coach Skills

1. for a 3-4 I would personally reccomend dick lebeu's 3-4 playbook(steelers D). or also the patriots playbook.
by pass to run do you mean pass in the 1st half run in the 2nd half?

2. Depends on the type of team you want to build. if you want a running team focus on RB/OL, for passing focus on QB/WR/OL. defensively, use the same thing. I usually dont go for chemistry or performance as it makes it too easy. same with special skills.

3 teams like the eagles run screens really well, while other teams that dont screen in real life wont run it well in game. in general, man blitzes work the best in this game, but that isnt always true. for the most part it depends on your players. however, some people have huge trouble running the ball, but it hasnt happened to me yet. your OL is much more important than your RB when it comes to running
Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

One of my careers had the similar systems. I used the Colts offense( Tom Moore's Passing attack), and the Patriots D. I use the pats d cuz of the 1 d-lineman formation. I love that....good D

As a head coach, i focus on skills that help the entire team. I buy ambition, off season and regular season seminar, advanced playbook traning, motivator, educator,...e.t.c...all the ones that help the entire team. not just one side of the ball. For my assistant coaches i get the special skills, and for position coaches i get regular skills like strength, learning, and intangables. Thats how i handle it.

Last edited by babyface12188; 04-21-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWinBaby
by pass to run do you mean pass in the 1st half run in the 2nd half?
More or less. Basically I throw to set up the run, as opposed to pounding the rock to set up play action.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
More or less. Basically I throw to set up the run, as opposed to pounding the rock to set up play action.
not sure what specific playbook you would like then, but I would pick one with a lot of deep passes as well as a variety of runs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Rookie

Hoovie's Arena

OVR: 3

I perfer the cowboys 3-4 or the jets 3-4. The Cowboys is a bit more aggressive.

Pats is far too aggressive for me.

Offense, got me. I'm a run first, run second, only throw if I have to kinda guy.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I have used Holgrem's west coast playbook. I had d-mac in the backfield and he averaged 125 a game and 5+ per carry. It is a strong book but doesnt have alot of plays to start with. I added plays to get the balance I wanted after they learned the basic book.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

General question to any one who cares to answer

Do you pick your philosophies at the start of your career and stick with them or are you changing them often?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »