Home

My offseason with the Dolphins

This is a discussion on My offseason with the Dolphins within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7
My offseason with the Dolphins

Ok so I decided to resurrect the Dolphins in this game and it was a really interesting offseason. The thing I really liked about the Dolphins was I not only had a butt load of money to work with but I also had the 1st and 32nd picks of the draft.

I knew I needed to upgrade the following positions either through free agency or the draft.
QB, WR, TE, LT, LG, RG, RT, LE, DT, MLB, CB, and SS. I had my work cut out for me but I was pretty optimistic since I had a good draft class and a lot of cap space.

Free agency started off with a bang for my Dolphins as we snagged DT Albert Haynesworth. Then I proceeded to pick up other big named free agents.
CB- Asomugha
ROLB- Suggs
RT- Gross
RG- Noll
LG- Faneca

That allowed me to concentrate on LT, WR, SS, MLB, TE, and QB in the draft.

Draft came and I had a hard decision on wether or not I should take Jake Long. I know he is a beast but Ryan Clady is also a beast and I figured I could grab him up later in the first. The Cowboys offered me a trade I couldn't refuse so I traded my #1 for their 22nd, 28th, and 2009 1st. That gave me the 22nd, 28th, and 32nd picks in the first round. Not bad but I needed to get back into the early/mid 1st round. Jake Long went 5th and I got nervous when Baltimore came up. I figured they would go after Clady so I packaged my 32nd, 97th, and 2009 1st round picks for the 8th pick in the draft. Here is my draft results.
LT Ryan Clady- 8th
SS Kenny Phillips- 22nd
WR Donnie Avery- 28th
Round 2
MLB Dan Connor- 25th
TE Brad Cottam- 32nd (Big mistake here
Round 6
CB Dwight Lowery- 1st
Round 7
CB Jack Williams- 1st
QB Paul Smith- 15th

Basically after my 4th pick the rest sucked. I am not expected great things from my team this year but hopefully my team will become great within the next few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: My offseason with the Dolphins

Wow. You're gonna have huge cap issues. Five huge FAs and three first round picks will cripple you financially. Paying so much money in the offseason when you lack a legitimate QB is pretty dumb. You threw away a bunch of money in the offseason to make your team instantly competitive, but frankly I don't think you'll have more than 6 wins.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Wow. You're gonna have huge cap issues. Five huge FAs and three first round picks will cripple you financially. Paying so much money in the offseason when you lack a legitimate QB is pretty dumb. You threw away a bunch of money in the offseason to make your team instantly competitive, but frankly I don't think you'll have more than 6 wins.
Not necessarily. Two of my 3 first round picks were in the late part of it. For example Donnie Avery will not make more than $2mill in base salary. Compare that to Ryan Clady's contract where he will make $8.5Mil in 2012. I could see what you are saying if I had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall picks but I didn't. Maybe the free agents will come back to bite me but since I didn't have a pick from rounds 3-5 I figured that was the best way to sure up my o line and a few needed areas that I couldn't really address in the first 2 rounds. There wasn't any decent quarterbacks in free agency and I couldn't draft any good ones. I will grab one with my first pick in the draft.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy316
Not necessarily. Two of my 3 first round picks were in the late part of it. For example Donnie Avery will not make more than $2mill in base salary. Compare that to Ryan Clady's contract where he will make $8.5Mil in 2012. I could see what you are saying if I had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall picks but I didn't. Maybe the free agents will come back to bite me but since I didn't have a pick from rounds 3-5 I figured that was the best way to sure up my o line and a few needed areas that I couldn't really address in the first 2 rounds. There wasn't any decent quarterbacks in free agency and I couldn't draft any good ones. I will grab one with my first pick in the draft.
You should stop it now, your cap will be in F ed. take it from someone that did the same thing you did..
Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Tbh your draft stunk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Tbh your draft stunk
Haha, wow how did you really feel?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Tbh your draft stunk
Wow seriously so picking up Clady, Avery, and Phillips (all who will be starters for years to come plus drafting Connor, who is better than what I had, is a crappy draft? I flat out said after my 4th pick the rest sucked but they were all 6th and 7th round picks so you can't expect much from them.

Please tell me who you would have drafted with those picks?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

List your schemes and ill suggest players you perhaps could have chosen

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »