Home

Anyone have a Draft Teaser/Preview of 2009, 2010, etc...

This is a discussion on Anyone have a Draft Teaser/Preview of 2009, 2010, etc... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

OVR: 4
Anyone have a Draft Teaser/Preview of 2009, 2010, etc...

Anyone have the skinny on the 2009, 2010 classes? I'm nearing the end of my first season and it occurred to me... I have no idea how valuable/worthless my 2010 picks are... I've scouted the hell out of 2009 but I have no clue if I wanted to hold onto my 2010 picks or if I want to trade them for the #1 choice...

... which would not be the case in real life, NFL GMs could give you a really good idea of what they're already looking for from colleges in 2010. >>

That's one major issue i have with NFL Head Coach - the inability to load NCAA 2009 classes into the game.

One of the advantages of being able to load the NCAA draft classes is that you already know that 2009 is a weak/strong/deep/front-heavy/back-heavy/etc year from playing the game. You'd know you'll need to keep or trade your draft picks for future seasons since you'd have your eye on talent a few years in advance. If there's a weak class coming up they'll be more inclined to send away picks for future drafts.

In HC you can only preview the upcoming draft class after you've drafted the previous class (right? when drafting 2008 you have no clue who is going to be around in 2009... or even an impression of who MIGHT be around).

I'll use my career as an example. I'm the Redskins (who are an effing CAP DISASTER... THANK YOU CERRATO YOU Dbag!) and I wanted Dorsey, McFadden, or another playmaker so I decided to make Jon Jansen available (90 over RT, no cap hit, serviceable back-up behind him) and eventually traded him and my 3rd round 2009 pick for the Jet's 6th spot and was able to take Dorsey.

Then I got greedy as McFadden had slipped. I decided to trade up to the Ravens spot by trading my 1st and 2nd rounders for 2009 and got McFadden.

Killer (so I thought). So I'm very happy already, I start my season and then I hear about this QB English from Stanford who is supposedly the 2nd coming of Christ. I had no idea this guy was going to be a possible pick in the 2009 draft when I up and traded my top three picks in 2009... how could I? I probably would've passed on McFadden and tried to keep squeezing the life out of Portis in order to replace Jason Campbell with a bonafided future-hall-of-famer. Who knows, I'm still scouting so this English guy might not be the world's greatest but it certainly sounds like he is. I'd like the rumors about 2009 even if they're completely wrong. If there was actually someone as good as this English kid sounds to be who was an underclassman all the scouts would know about it prior to his junior/senior season (see Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Mike Vick, Tebow, McFadden, etc). Maybe not all of them pan out... but you could know enough not to sell your pick for peanuts.

The reverse could've been true as well, 2009 could've been a bust year and I could've decided to let Dorsey and McFadden go only to discover my 2009 picks weren't going to net me comparable (let alone better) talent.

That's not very realistic as many NFL teams have some idea about what will be available (obviously not a crystal clear idea) in the next two draft classes. Scouts are all over college football judging, poking, prodding looking for who the #1 pick will be in 2009 and 2010 and then they'll take their very best guess (and probably be wrong, that's fine) at 2011. At the very least Kipper and the other talking heads can give you their best guess at the depth and talent of draft classes two years out.

I know this is might lead to a spoiler situation (I don't want to know THE guy to draft or THE sleeper to pick) but I'd like to get an idea of how talented or deep the talent is in 2010 before I trade away all of my 2010 picks to move up in 2009. Can anyone give me some very vague tips or previews for 2010?

Also... as I see it, there's 1 pro-prospect from Virginia Tech in 2009. After my Dorsey and McFadden picks I went after as many of my VT players as I could and I ended up with a bunch of them in 2008 (Flowers, Royal, Ellis, Morgan, Adibi, Hall... trading down is pretty awesome when used right). There were 10 Hokie prospects in the 2009 class... and then 1 in 2010? I am hoping/praying this is an anomaly. Over the past three drafts VT has sent almost 30 guys into the NFL, either through the draft or free agent deals... and somehow we only manage 1 guys in 2009? I can name you at least two/three guys who might be taken the first day, let along 6-7 more guys who might get looks from pro scouts. If we were able to import classes, the talent could speak for itself making at least the first three-four draft classes a little bit closer to what might actually happen.

I'm not always going to take the kid from Blacksburg... but having more than one to choose from (which has become very commonplace) would be nice. I know after the ECU debacle this is going open me up to plenty of s-talking... but I can handle it... msg board ribbing couldn't even come close to the pain and suffering that was this past weekend.

Last edited by Hokie200proof; 09-02-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Anyone have a Draft Teaser/Preview of 2009, 2010, etc...

No one can give you an advanced preview since the drafts in the game, although with scripted constraints, are randomized.

I wonder how hard it would be for the game to do all of its draft randomization when you start a game. That is to say, the computer generator (not the computer players) knows what the draft classes will be for your whole career right at the start. Then it could allow you to see bits and peices of scouting reports for potential rookies two or three years in advance.

Maybe a good idea for the next HC game?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator
No one can give you an advanced preview since the drafts in the game, although with scripted constraints, are randomized.

I wonder how hard it would be for the game to do all of its draft randomization when you start a game. That is to say, the computer generator (not the computer players) knows what the draft classes will be for your whole career right at the start. Then it could allow you to see bits and peices of scouting reports for potential rookies two or three years in advance.

Maybe a good idea for the next HC game?

Really? I started two seasons and I had this QB from Stanford named English both times. I started my other season only to find that I had the contracts bug. I was pissed... then I saw the work around and decided to start over. Both time I did I had this QB English getting mad praise in September.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

I could spoil it for you, what class is the next one Englis, Sweetney, Ozzie jones, or Mike Zazzali?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

The classes are pretty random, I've seen different ones between me and my brother each time.

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
MVP

AnybodyKilla's Arena

OVR: 12

I got this WR Flash Gordon, with amazing fn speed. Next to him with Ted Ginn Jr has me 11-2 right now.
#9 Syracuse Orange!! (15-1)(3-0)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97
I could spoil it for you, what class is the next one Englis, Sweetney, Ozzie jones, or Mike Zazzali?
How many Hokies are you seeing on average (if you notice... I probably pay more attention to that than most people)? Feel free to ruin that.

Also, with English? The 2nd coming of Peyton Manning from... Stanford??? haha, that's a good one EA.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie200proof
How many Hokies are you seeing on average (if you notice... I probably pay more attention to that than most people)? Feel free to ruin that.

Also, with English? The 2nd coming of Peyton Manning from... Stanford??? haha, that's a good one EA.

Maybe not Manning but didn't Elway come from Stanford??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »