Home

Draft rookie or re-sign veteran

This is a discussion on Draft rookie or re-sign veteran within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17
Draft rookie or re-sign veteran

I am playing the Browns and am faced with a decision.

I have QB Anderson who is in the last year of his contract. He had a good year. He threw for 3403 yrds, 31 TDs and 12 INTs. He completed 62% of his passes. He was healthy all year but made some dumb passes (threw an INT in the final minute of the playoff in the endzone to cost us the game).

I also have HB Lewis who is in the final year of his contract. He went to the Pro Bowl. He ended the season with 1260 yrds on 267 carries. He scored 10 Tds and had 3 fumbles. He averaged 4.7 ypc and 84 ypg. However, he was injured a lot. His legs are not in good shape and I had to rest him for 2 games. Lewis is also 31 and I dont think there is a 16 game season left in his legs.

I dont want to resign both of them because of how much it will eat up my cap. I can trade up in the draft to snag one of the top players...but do I try to take care of the rb position and see what happens with Anderson...or do I use the pick to get a new qb?

What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Draft rookie or re-sign veteran

Pretty easy choice for me.

Resign Anderson, and find a sleeper back. Dont trade up, because it will likely cost just as much if not more to sign Anderson + Top Rookie, as it would for Anderson + Lewis.

I assume your picking in the 20's since you made the playoffs, so what i would do, is just see whats available there, and worry about a RB later in the draft.

RB's are a dime a dozen, except for the rare freaks, like Ozzie Jones, or Maceo Sweetney, or Boar Jackson.

there are usually some good backs to be had in that range or later, just bide your time, and if there isnt one you like, from doing your Homework in the 20's, trade down, into the early second and pick up some extra picks. likely find one there with a much cheaper price tag, who coul dhave just as good an impact as Lewis did.

Its all about value, and from my experiences, top draft picks dont get you enough value when rebuilding, or even retooling.

to many good sleepers out there, and RB is an easy position to find usually. its the QB, and O-Line that are the issue for me usually.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

I'd stick with anderson unless contract demands are riduculous.definately dump lewis running backs over 30 are big injury risk.i'd say you can get a good rb later no need to trade up unless one of the elite is available"aka boar,maceo,leron"that type
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
MVP

Clarke_311's Arena

OVR: 20

You got Brady Quinn right? If you do, let Anderson walk and have Quinn as your starter next year. You can re-sign Lewis so he'll have a good run game behind him.
Toronto Blue Jays Fan
Philadelphia Eagles Fan
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

If Lewis is injury-prone, I'd let him walk. I hate having to use backups all the time; in my Lions one my TE's are constantly on rotation because 1-2 are always injured.
Only 12 INT? That's pretty good, on one of my friend's HC files, his QB threw 12 INT in 5 games...
Needless to say he was benched (even though he won 4 of those games...).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

Replace them both with younger cheaper players
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I was looking at the draft info last night and I found a rb from Iowa and one from Richmond that look real good and I think I can get them in the later rounds. I also found the qb from Ga Southern, but his durability is only a 79. I have been looking at the qb from Ohio State...his size is 99, durability 96, ta 81 and tp is 91.

I dont have the player comparisons since I did not do any regular season scouting.

I have to be creative with this draft since I dont have a 1st or 2nd round pick
Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Pro

DreadedSteeler's Arena

OVR: 8

I'd let Lewis go and Resign Anderson, dude usually plays like Marino in my games against him. Definitely one of the QBs I hate playing against. Never had a problem stopping Quinn.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »