Home

Starting a new career

This is a discussion on Starting a new career within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 26
Starting a new career

Ok, I just bought the game and am looking to start a new career. I'm playing as the Bears, and have decided to sim half the time and play half the time. I 've just got a few questions:

1. What personality should I get?

2. What skills should I get?

3. What special skills should I get?

4. Is Ambition worth 20,000 K?

5. Should I go the Ambition-Leadership route? +1 for all coaches seems pretty good.

6. Is it best to get the roster update or to start in the offseason?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Starting a new career

1.) I dont think personality directly effects you IF you dont sim anything.

2 and 3.) What team are you starting with and what kind of team do you want to run on offense and defense. Do you want to have a balanced O/D or do you want to have one overpowered compared to the other?

4.) To each his own. If you want the math ambition pays off sometime after 10 years...Therefore I personally find it is not worth it unless you are positive you want to play that long. Since it is your first time I would suggest getting your feet wet with the game as well before making big choices now and then regretting them later.

5.) Leadership is amazing. Everyone gets plus one to all their skills and it can help build a team up quicker.

6.) I prefer to start in the offseason because if you do the draft your GM gets about 2,000 points instead of starting in the preseason where he will have 0 points. That and you can build your team better from square one.

I will add a link to a page that has a some info that you should take into consideration when playing. One more thing...The current gameplay is shaky at best and can cause many headaches. Thankfully, the sliders work. I would suggest Claystone's 95 RBA sliders. He also has another set that is for after the first season but I have yet to use them.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ttributes.html

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 06-09-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Ok, I just bought the game and am looking to start a new career. I'm playing as the Bears, and have decided to sim half the time and play half the time. I 've just got a few questions:

1. What personality should I get?

2. What skills should I get?

3. What special skills should I get?

4. Is Ambition worth 20,000 K?

5. Should I go the Ambition-Leadership route? +1 for all coaches seems pretty good.

6. Is it best to get the roster update or to start in the offseason?
1. I don't know if it matter that much, I haven't noticed any differences.

2. I'd recommend to pick offense or defense, and then get the skills to complement those. And get performance.

3. Same, but I'd also get the learning special skills too.

4. I believe so. It gives you 15% off all specials. With skills starting at 5000 and going up, you'll get the skill points back eventually. I'd get it as one of the starting skills.

5. I haven't tried it, but it seems good in theory.

6. I prefer offseason. I think the best part of the game is FA and the draft. Especially if you're choosing a team that is bad, and drafted badly.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Get the Roster Update first.

It's got the patch, if you don't get it before you start, then it will not work for your previously saved games.

I believe you can still go thru the 08 draft after you've downloaded the patch.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

1. I haven't noticed a big difference between personalities. It matters with your assistant coaches, but not much for your head coach. I went with Virtuoso, and I like it.

2-3: get the Ambition special skill first. It's 20,000 points, but in the long run will save you a ton in cost for your special skills.
After that, spend your points on your favorite two possitions, probably QB, and whatever you value most on defense. Then spend the rest on performance, it will make your team play better.

4. Ambition is worth it... see above.

5. Leadership is a waste if you get it early. You're probably going to want to fire some of your coaches after the first season. You don't want to spend the points on coaches that aren't sticking around for the long haul.

The trick is not to make the playoffs your first year. If you do, all the good coaches will get eaten up. The bad coaches you have now, need to get cleaned out, but you can't do it until you're done with year 1.

6. I started with the default roster from 08. I knew the players my team had actually drafted. However, you can probably do some research on these forums and find all the stud players. Which is kind of cheating. I just wanted to get started playing the games when I started the game.

If I were to start a new career, I'd go thru the first draft, and probably trade down a lot to stock up for year 2. I tanked my first year on purpose because I wanted to clean house with coaches, players, and salary cap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
MVP

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll use all this information when I start my career. I think the Bears drafted well that year when they got Forte, so I might just start with the preseason. One more question: do you still start with one of the 4 draft paths if you download the roster update, or do you only get those with them with the default rosters?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBean
1. I haven't noticed a big difference between personalities. It matters with your assistant coaches, but not much for your head coach. I went with Virtuoso, and I like it.

2-3: get the Ambition special skill first. It's 20,000 points, but in the long run will save you a ton in cost for your special skills.
After that, spend your points on your favorite two possitions, probably QB, and whatever you value most on defense. Then spend the rest on performance, it will make your team play better.

4. Ambition is worth it... see above.

5. Leadership is a waste if you get it early. You're probably going to want to fire some of your coaches after the first season. You don't want to spend the points on coaches that aren't sticking around for the long haul.

The trick is not to make the playoffs your first year. If you do, all the good coaches will get eaten up. The bad coaches you have now, need to get cleaned out, but you can't do it until you're done with year 1.

6. I started with the default roster from 08. I knew the players my team had actually drafted. However, you can probably do some research on these forums and find all the stud players. Which is kind of cheating. I just wanted to get started playing the games when I started the game.

If I were to start a new career, I'd go thru the first draft, and probably trade down a lot to stock up for year 2. I tanked my first year on purpose because I wanted to clean house with coaches, players, and salary cap.
I thought that leadership was not like motivation. That it works with all the coaches that you pick up and increases their abilities. I perform a quick test today and sim the season and pick up a new coach. If his overall is different then what was listed before I pick him up then I know that it boosts his skills.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll use all this information when I start my career. I think the Bears drafted well that year when they got Forte, so I might just start with the preseason. One more question: do you still start with one of the 4 draft paths if you download the roster update, or do you only get those with them with the default rosters?
Leadership works with any new staff member you get as well as your current staff. Why the motivator doesnt work like that is beyond me but o well. I hired Russ Grim an overall 55 Offensive cor. and upgraded the RB learning plus one and he jumped to an overall 81.

The draft class is determined at the end of preseason. Its shortly after you make your season promise. I normally save before making my promise to the coach and then wait until you hear about the scouting info in the following days. If you dont get the draft you want then you can reload and try again till you get something different.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »