Home

10 Things Need Change/Fix for Next HC

This is a discussion on 10 Things Need Change/Fix for Next HC within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
10 Things Need Change/Fix for Next HC

1. CPU need to sub players in/out.

2. AI Needs to read personnel coming in to call the right defense formations.

3. DL/OL Interaction.

4. Make the draft harder. Too easy to find Gems.

5. Make OL/DL Ratings mean something. It seems anyone can play OL and pancake elite DL.

6. OL get injured way too much in this game.

7. Let's see "Roughing The Passer" penalties called in this game.

8. Lower players ratings more so they have to play out there years to reach their potential. It seems an 80 rated HB is close to a 90 rated HB. You really can't tell the difference.

9. Fix the AI playing calling on both sides. It seems if i allow my OC/DC to call plays, they sometimes call the same 3 plays over and over.

10. Get rid of Difining Moment and emotions reactions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: 10 Things Need Change/Fix for Next HC

I havent had a problem with OL injuries yet, but if i sim games the DL gets injured too much for me.

agree with the rest of the list, and after OL/DL interaction i think the next biggest necessity to get fixed is the coach hiring process
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

How about being able to approach your players during the season for contract talks / extensions ?

And seeing more then a coaches overall and top 3 attributes would be nice...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

What, no two-minute drill complaints?

I agree that the penalties are out of whack. Way too many facemasks, probably too few holdings and pass interference.

Running game AI is really odd. Way too many backs freelancing running backwards & sideways - football is a north-south game once you're past the line of scrimmage.

I actually don't mind the emotional reactions & defining moments. They're not my favorite feature, but I'll live.

IMO, franchises starting with a custom playbook shouldn't be penalized so heavily - alternately, make it an optional penalty. If I want the Packers to run a Tampa 2 scheme or go all Raiders-deep-pass, that's my choice as a gamer, not as a football historian. I'd love to run a heavy I form or 3TE 1WR sets... Just set an initial custom playbook at "learned" and be done with it.

Speaking of playbooks, the play editor needs a lot of work. Being able to actually make a running play would be a plus. Being able to organize your playbook in a sensible fashion, even after adding plays from the other guys, would be a plus. Being able to use numbers in play naming would be trivially awesome.

Being able to flip custom plays would be tremendously helpful. Likewise being able to adjust such plays on the fly. Why I can't set my man cover plays to press, I have no idea.

Coach hiring needs work. Nobody comes poaching my OVR 99 coordinators as head coach candidates, or my skilled position coaches as potential coordinators. Hiring of coaches should be delayed until after the Super Bowl every year; firing can happen whenever.

The draft & scouting, as it is, are "very rewarding". It's fun - not very realistic, but very fun. On a meta-level, some teams are better than others at scouting overall, but that's not necessarily reflected as well as it might be in the GM ratings. For example, Ted Tedson of the Packers really isn't that good of a scout in the game, when in reality the franchise has a pretty fabulous track record of finding unknown players like Aaron Kampman (4th round!), Nick Barnett (1st round, but "Nick who?"), Greg Jennings & Nick Collins (both 2nd rounders "from nowhere"). I don't know how easy it is to reflect that in the game (scout hiring doesn't sound like fun).

At the same time, if you actually coach games & call plays, having a fabulous roster isn't enough - you have to be a good play-caller to win.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Rookie

Totally agree with the post above ("ebongreen").

http://canucks.nhl.com/ - http://www.seahawks.com - http://www.saipa.fi/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

I think a lot can be done with coach hiring. For one, you should get to see a list of who's available, and get to know something about them. Also, their personality/philosophy should matter more.

Also, you need to be able to offer already hired coaches on other teams jobs. You couldn't do that, so pretty much every head coaching change would be a re-tread, unless a good coordinator got fired. Coaches get lured away all the time.

This way also, you can't just hold onto a stud coordinator.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
IMO, franchises starting with a custom playbook shouldn't be penalized so heavily - alternately, make it an optional penalty. If I want the Packers to run a Tampa 2 scheme or go all Raiders-deep-pass, that's my choice as a gamer, not as a football historian. I'd love to run a heavy I form or 3TE 1WR sets... Just set an initial custom playbook at "learned" and be done with it.
Too easy.
Wheres the challenge and sense of team development in that

Just call me Sanchez
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Too easy.
Wheres the challenge and sense of team development in that
As I said, make it optional - different gamers want different levels of challenge. You're still (presumably) going to evolve your playbook over time. Maybe you find out it really doesn't work for your people, so you chuck half of it and start over, or restart the franchise.

It's about letting gamers have the kind of fun they want to have - different strokes for different folks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »