Home

Do HB Counters ever work?

This is a discussion on Do HB Counters ever work? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Do HB Counters ever work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
I've never seen one work. I'll preface this by saying I have bad coaches, unlearned counter plays, and a new QB and HB. I don't think it would work if I mastered it, though. Every time I run the play I get thrown for a 3-4 yard loss, no exceptions. Has anyone who does have good coaches, mastered the play, and a good offense ever had positive results with the counter?
Yes, counters work. A good O-line always helps, and you can't use them against every team or scheme.

A counter is a slowly-developing run play. Blitzing teams (e.g. Eagles, Giants) will nearly always kill it because they run-blitz like fools. It's difficult to use against Tampa-2 teams as well because the constant DL stunting screws up the blocking - which is why those plays are designed as they are.

Teams that play primarily simpler man or zone schemes are susceptible to good counter plays, especially ones that don't rely on a pulling guard. There's a Weak Twin form counter play that I use pretty frequently in my modified Packers playbook that makes good yardage for me on a regular basis; the inside I-form counter with the LG short-pull I've also seen work. Big (2TE) singleback formation counters are good as well.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebongreen
Yes, counters work. A good O-line always helps, and you can't use them against every team or scheme.

A counter is a slowly-developing run play. Blitzing teams (e.g. Eagles, Giants) will nearly always kill it because they run-blitz like fools. It's difficult to use against Tampa-2 teams as well because the constant DL stunting screws up the blocking - which is why those plays are designed as they are.

Teams that play primarily simpler man or zone schemes are susceptible to good counter plays, especially ones that don't rely on a pulling guard. There's a Weak Twin form counter play that I use pretty frequently in my modified Packers playbook that makes good yardage for me on a regular basis; the inside I-form counter with the LG short-pull I've also seen work. Big (2TE) singleback formation counters are good as well.
I agree, they do work, but you need a great O-line. If a team is having success with a zone blitz, the counter is a great way to get them out of position and pickup some yardage. But like I said, you need a great O-line or else you are just going to get stuffed.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

I usually concentrate on building a top notch oline. I currently have
Spoiler
making up my oline as well as
Spoiler
at running back so that could have something to do with it but I have had decent success with counters. Haven't had many huge plays but I get decent pickups here and there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

I have had counters work well for me, but some backs just seem to not be good at them. if you mix up the running game inside outside left right. they will work. I use 2 counter left runnign plays fairly often with good success, run more outside runs to the right, just seems to work out better for me that way.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 26

I use a 3 Wr 1 te 1 rb counter that works well.
Left Guard pulls/traps (not sure) to the left and the rb counters to the left with him and the lg becomes the lead blocker going around the te

Works well on over/under 4-3

Just call me Sanchez

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »