Home

Question about Finesse Moves for DT

This is a discussion on Question about Finesse Moves for DT within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
Question about Finesse Moves for DT

So, I've seen a lot of DTs with high power moves but low finesse moves like 10 to 50. I know that if you are running a 3-4 power moves are most important for the NT, but what if you are running a 4-3? How high should the finesse move of your DT be?
2. Cardinals #2
3. Jets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Question about Finesse Moves for DT

Finesse-move tackles are relatively rare - those are the Tommie Harris/Warren Sapp "three-technique" tackles that some teams prize so highly. Most guards aren't good enough to cope with "pass-rush moves" or they'd be repositioned at tackle by someone.

It depends on what you want/expect out of your 4-3 defense. Some teams like their DTs as run-stuffers/block-eaters, keeping guards and centers off of linebackers who then pick off ball-carriers. That's how the Ravens used to operate when they won the Super Bowl some years back - they relied on their ends and 'backers for pass rush. Especially in this game, it depends on your team philosophy, and you'll need to set it as such.

If you want quick, penetrating pass-rush-generating tackles, you want the finesse move to be as high as possible. Find draftable DTs like Tommie Harris (in game, like Patrick Lopez or Dre Moore) who are strong, fast, agile, quick, and have pass-rush finesse and block-shed.

Should be simple enough, right?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

Well said ebongreen.

Another example to look at with DTs is the Colts. They have taken and put in DTs under the weight of 280 pounds in to try and get that extra pass rush. I have taken slightly bigger DEs(270+ depending on height) who were explosive pass rushers and moved them inside to get that gap penetrator.

You can still have DTs/DEs get sacks with only power move it just does not happen as often.(I have had Albert Hayensworth at DE get 4-6 sacks a year in a 3-4) I try and get some type of weapon to put onto the line and use them best. If I know what a team is more likely to do in a given situation I will sub out my single weapon player and put in the other player that would be better in that situation.

Games can be won or lost by having the proper personal in at the proper time.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

So "one gap" DTs should have high finesse moves?
2. Cardinals #2
3. Jets.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSHHT
So "one gap" DTs should have high finesse moves?
One-gap isn't really about pass-rush, that's about defense scheme. Any tackle that's strong enough to stick his nose between two O-linemen and stay there can occupy a gap - getting past them to get to the QB before he throws or scrambles is where finesse moves & speed come into play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
MVP

If I recall correctly the one gap penetrator(sp) philosophy for DTs in HC09 is most valued for his acceleration ability. The higher his acc. the higher his overall. I tend to select balanced for most of my philosophy because I dont care if someone doesnt fit my "system" I will try and get them onto the field some way.

By choosing balanced I can see who is the "best" player overall is but in the end I choose/play whoever is the best weapon I can use.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
MVP

Put simply

3-4 Dt Power moves
4-3 Dt Finesse moves

Just call me Sanchez

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »