Home

The Best GM and Team for my project?

This is a discussion on The Best GM and Team for my project? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
The Best GM and Team for my project?

I'm currently building an Excel Sheet for player comparisons.

I've been tracking it in a notebook. Since I play or SuperSim, I only get through a year of gameplay (and a new draft class) about once every 7-10 days.

I've decided to just make a second save game to explore draft comparisons. Since it's a research project, I want to find the highest rated GM out of the gate and get him the full upgrades asap.

I've never seen the Prima Guide but it might contain this info. Which team has the most advanced GM at year one?

I figure since it's a project, I'll go with all "neutral" and "balanced" philosophies to give the most neutral results.

If it's still not clear, I'm trying to build a table that will quickly answer questions like:

If I've got a RB compared to Walter Payton and another compared to Larry Johnson, which one is likely the higher overall potential? (spoiler - It's Payton)

What's the range of overall potential for a WR compared to Chad Johnson? (spoiler 88-94)

I'll share it once it's complete.

Feedback? Would you do something different? Best GM?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: The Best GM and Team for my project?

Ozzie Newsome (can't remember the HC name) is insanely good. He was the GM for my first franchise and it spoiled me rotten. Lemme pull up my downloaded Prima Guide...

...back. I forgot I actually made an Excel file before I started one of my franchises in which I popped in all the teams with GM's over 40 OVR and compared some of their positional coach ratings (as you can see by the highlighting, I was mainly looking for a team with good GM and good OL coach). I've attached that Excel file (rar'd up), but for those without Excel, the top GM's (in overall) are the following:

99 - NE's GM (in real life, this was Scott Pioli; I think his game name is Scott Polo)
92 - San Diego (Real Life: AJ Smith)
88 - Indianapolis (Real Life: Bill Polian)
83 - Pittsburgh (Real Life: Kevin Colbert)
79 - Baltimore (Real Life: Ozzie Newsome)
77 - Minnesota (Real Life: Rick Spielman)
76 - Seattle (Real Life: Tim Ruskell)
73 - Philadelphia (Real Life: Tom Heckert)
65 - New Orleans (Real Life: Mickey Loomis; I think his game name is Mikey something)
63 - New York Giants (Real Life: Jerry Reese; I think his game name is Gary Reese)
60 - New York Jets (Real Life: Mike Tannenbaum)
58 - KC (Real Life: This is when Carl Peterson was still GM)
54 - Miami (Real Life: Technically the real life GM is Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells is the VP, but the game goes by a Parcells name-changer)
49 - Chicago (Real Life: Jerry Angelo)
48 - Dallas (Real Life: Jerry Jones)
46 - Houston (Real Life: Rick Smith; Game Name Riley Smythe)
41 - Washington (Real Life: Technically Vinny Cerrato, but the game goes on a play of Danny Snyder - Daniel Spyder.)

BTW, my Excel file is missing the Ravens because, as I mentioned above, I'd already played a franchise with them and this was something I made when trying to decide who to start my new one with. I actually went with the Patriots for Pioli and blew up the entire team (by year four I think I only had three original Patriots as I transitioned to a Tampa 2 team) and I think that might be your best bet. If I remember right, he has full potential for all categories.

Hope this helps get you started. I'm curious to see the results.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Head Coach Opening Staff Ratings.rar (2.0 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by TheDMG; 06-25-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Nice project. I'm interested in the results too.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Good to know in general. I've had to go through great pain with the Lions as I've had no GM with a OVA of over 18.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDMG
Ozzie Newsome (can't remember the HC name) is insanely good. He was the GM for my first franchise and it spoiled me rotten. Lemme pull up my downloaded Prima Guide...

...back. I forgot I actually made an Excel file before I started one of my franchises in which I popped in all the teams with GM's over 40 OVR and compared some of their positional coach ratings (as you can see by the highlighting, I was mainly looking for a team with good GM and good OL coach). I've attached that Excel file (rar'd up), but for those without Excel, the top GM's (in overall) are the following:

99 - NE's GM (in real life, this was Scott Pioli; I think his game name is Scott Polo)
92 - San Diego (Real Life: AJ Smith)
88 - Indianapolis (Real Life: Bill Polian)
83 - Pittsburgh (Real Life: Kevin Colbert)
79 - Baltimore (Real Life: Ozzie Newsome)
77 - Minnesota (Real Life: Rick Spielman)
76 - Seattle (Real Life: Tim Ruskell)
73 - Philadelphia (Real Life: Tom Heckert)
65 - New Orleans (Real Life: Mickey Loomis; I think his game name is Mikey something)
63 - New York Giants (Real Life: Jerry Reese; I think his game name is Gary Reese)
60 - New York Jets (Real Life: Mike Tannenbaum)
58 - KC (Real Life: This is when Carl Peterson was still GM)
54 - Miami (Real Life: Technically the real life GM is Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells is the VP, but the game goes by a Parcells name-changer)
49 - Chicago (Real Life: Jerry Angelo)
48 - Dallas (Real Life: Jerry Jones)
46 - Houston (Real Life: Rick Smith; Game Name Riley Smythe)
41 - Washington (Real Life: Technically Vinny Cerrato, but the game goes on a play of Danny Snyder - Daniel Spyder.)

BTW, my Excel file is missing the Ravens because, as I mentioned above, I'd already played a franchise with them and this was something I made when trying to decide who to start my new one with. I actually went with the Patriots for Pioli and blew up the entire team (by year four I think I only had three original Patriots as I transitioned to a Tampa 2 team) and I think that might be your best bet. If I remember right, he has full potential for all categories.

Hope this helps get you started. I'm curious to see the results.
The Chiefs don't have Carl Petterson in this game. (or In real life anymore thank God!) I don't remember the computer guys name though, I fired him after my first year, and he went to Denver, who then fired him the next year.

I think his last name was Karl. maybe Pete Karl? but I might be way off. He's not good.

Last edited by DocBean; 06-26-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBean
The Chiefs don't have Carl Petterson in this game. (or In real life anymore thank God!) I don't remember the computer guys name though, I fired him after my first year, and he went to Denver, who then fired him the next year.

I think his last name was Karl. maybe Pete Karl? but I might be way off. He's not good.
The Chiefs' GM's name in-game is Karl Potts; why do you think they named him that? The Packers in-game have Tom Tedson and Ted Thompson IRL...
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBean

Yeah, it's something along those lines. I didn't know the in-game names for most of those GMs and was to lazy to back out of my game to check the in-game names. Because the in-game name changes are close to their real-life counterparts, I just listed the names of the real-life counterparts. I figured burntoatmeal could figure things out from there without much difficulty, given that the name changes are so obvious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »