Home

How to build a dominant defense

This is a discussion on How to build a dominant defense within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: How to build a dominant defense

did they do a 10
Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
While I have not tested this defense against many spread teams(Patriots) I have found that using the Jags Physical D is downright nasty. Grab Astne Samuel and Rashean Mathis(I think) and play man press the entire game. If you have an elite DE(say Peppers) and a fast/blitzing OLB line them up on the strong side and use the blitz plays to overpower the line.
I can attest to this. Jenkins is also good at CB for this. Good undersized DE's also work well in this D. Against the spread I call Nickel/Dime Man Under using Press.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

With the Bears you can shut down the pass and the run. I play as the bears and i just finished my first two seasons in which i won the superbowl. In fact in my second year i didn't lose a second game.

I don't know whether you kept lance briggs but i personally did not. So in the second years draft you need to get some good olbs. I had an 88 ovr re (undersized) 92 and 91 dt Tommie Harris and Sedrick D respectivly and a 89 le Vernon Gholston. Even though i was running a tampa two i ended the year with the second most sacks. The leader only had one more sack than me.

Cbs and LBs are very important in a tampa two. As i said before as the bears you need to go out and draft some good cover lbs. It also helps if they can blitz. My olbs look like this: 80 with a pot of 88 at Rolb Urlacher at mlb and a 80 with a 84 pot at lolb (i drafted the Rolb and the Lolb. I was third in the league for the most interceptions and my OLBs were a huge part of that.

You need good hard hitting fs's and ss's. This is because if god forbid the wrs ever get past the two really good cbs the bears have they can hit the ball right out of the guy before he gets control of the ball and thus possession. Also they need to be able to catch the ball. My fs who im not gonna spoil but is a 84 ovr with a 92 pot had 7 interceptions this year. My ss is 94 with a pot of 95 but he is a smart/productive ss unlike my fs which is man coverage. But obvoiusly in a tampa 2 your ss needs to have a high zone coverage stat.

Your cbs already kick *** as the bears. Personally i mix it up and have them run man cov and zone cov. So for me i need a cb that can do everything.

But to me this is the real key. I rush 5 guys on the line. I have one le one re and two dt but i almost always have one of my lbs line up at the line of scrimmage. This makes it so the computer can not double team anyone of my guys and since they are all capable of getting past one guy i get alot of sacks The 2nd most sacks in the league. This is not to say i don't sometimes have my olbs blitz from their "normal" positions but i figure it works so why should i change it. So i ususally have a 5 guys on the line two cbs two other olbs (not counting the one on the line) and two safties playing.

In a tampa two embrace the interceptions. In my first playoff game agianst the giants this year i had seven interceptions. Two from my fs three from my lolb and two from my cbs. I also had one fumble. I won that game 51-3. In my next game i won 48-22 with one turnover but alot of sacks due to my 5 guys on the line scheme. In my second superbowl win i won agiasnt the colts 38 (i think it was high 30s) to 22. However it was really 15 since they scored a meaningless td at the end of the game and i was playing prevent d which sometimes works but sometimes doesn't.

Sorry for the long post but if you have the paitence you can make the bears a powerhouse (two superbowls in two years)

Last edited by slacker2; 07-11-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #12
Rookie

what defensive scheme is it when its 3-4 and you have all man and you blitz a couple of LBs every play? if not 3-4 then 4-3 ive heard someone talk about it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinator18
what defensive scheme is it when its 3-4 and you have all man and you blitz a couple of LBs every play? if not 3-4 then 4-3 ive heard someone talk about it.

3-4 is the defense where coaches play man to man and blitz with lbs.

4-3 is typically a tampa two defense. Or some college coaches have gotton creative and use lbs in the de position and have them either blitz of drop back into coverage. In this way the coach disguises what his defense is gonna do.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker2
3-4 is the defense where coaches play man to man and blitz with lbs.

4-3 is typically a tampa two defense. Or some college coaches have gotton creative and use lbs in the de position and have them either blitz of drop back into coverage. In this way the coach disguises what his defense is gonna do.
slacker2, that is not true. The Steeler zone-blitz and they're a 3-4; the Packers used to play man-press with a 4-3. In no way is every 3-4 a man scheme and a "typical 4-3" a Tampa-2 zone.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Rookie

The Clairvoyant's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebongreen
slacker2, that is not true. The Steeler zone-blitz and they're a 3-4; the Packers used to play man-press with a 4-3. In no way is every 3-4 a man scheme and a "typical 4-3" a Tampa-2 zone.
Exactly, not every 4-3 scheme is a Tampa 2, look at Giants, Eagles and Jags they play man coverage with heavy blitzing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Pro

moblipeg's Arena

OVR: 6

I won the superbowl twice with the bears as well with the cover 2 scheme, barely blitzing. After starting anew, I'm currently learning how to use the 3-4 pressure defense, which after a few games I am finally getting a hang of. Anyway you look at it, a dominate defense can be formed if you play to the strengths of your scheme. The personnel dictates the effectiveness of your defense.

As far as defending the pass with the cover 2, the biggest key is an outside rush with your DEs since your LBs will be back playing zone coverage. Also, remember just because you are in cover 2 doesn't mean you can't switch coverages. Try a short zone on one side while man on another. Blitz a safety from time to time. Send your OLB on a 3rd down. Anything to keep the QB guessing, even when you are in cover 2.

Remember in cover 2 the deep middle is exposed so you have two options to defend it against the spread. Either get to the QB and get some pressure, or you need to have someone sit in that zone. Either way, eventually a QB will find a hole in the zone so your DEs have to get there for the kill.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by moblipeg; 07-19-2009 at 06:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »