Home

Contract Questions

This is a discussion on Contract Questions within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Contract Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcauley
So if you trade a player thats under contract for more than 1 year, will you accrue the penalties just like you would if you just cut him or would the new team you traded him get those penalties after the first year?

Is it safer or better for the books if you trade a player rather than cutting him?
Makes no difference in accounting whether you trade or cut - penalties happen when the player leaves your roster. Penalties never transfer from team to team, because only your team is on the hook for the guaranteed (i.e. bonus) money.

Trading is generally better for you because when you trade someone, you get something for him for sure. Sadly, the other team gets to keep a shiny player that you don't get to resign, but them's the breaks.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Its a cruel world in the NFL. Thanks for the info! I am now a smarter coach/GM!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
So if you trade a player thats under contract for more than 1 year, will you accrue the penalties just like you would if you just cut him or would the new team you traded him get those penalties after the first year?
Penalties occur only when player has a bonus (= guaranteed money) in his contract. No bonus - no penalty (when cutting/trading).

http://canucks.nhl.com/ - http://www.seahawks.com - http://www.saipa.fi/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

One further note: releasing/trading a player during the offseason triggers the penalty immediately hitting your cap. If you release trade a player any time between training camp and the end of the season, it will hit the next year. I've been playing with quite a few cap-strapped teams lately (Redskins, Raiders, and dismantling the Pats) so there's been quite a bit of strategy involved on when to cut ties with players to keep any one year from having issues.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Rookie

So your saying that, if I dont have enough money to sign my draft picks and I need to release players to make room, I should wait until training camp starts to release them?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Pro

It depends. How much room does next year's cap have? How much in penalties can you absorb in that year? Which players do you need least and have the lowest outstanding guaranteed money?

For example, in my current Packers franchise I've been "moving out" several legacy players each year whose contracts didn't fit ability/performance. Only Donald Driver (last year of his contract) and Nick Barnett (... not the last year of his ...) are left to trade or cut. (Trade. Truly.) Barnett's a good player, but his health is marginal, and having dealt with an ailing Chad Clifton last season I'm running out of patience for it. He's also a backup to Alonzi Simms at this point, so I also don't have want to have the money invested in him. The two of them together will probably cost me $10mil in penalties next year - but I can afford it right now.

Those are the sorts of calculations you need to make to not blow your cap. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Rookie

Understandable. I usually like to trade certain players when they only have 1 year left on their contract and I don't plan on re-signing them. That way I get some draft picks. This year I did that with the players I could but was still in the negative on salary-cap.

Going into the draft I currently have $2 ML to spend. I really dont want to get rid of anymore of my players but i also want to be able to sign some draft picks. I currently only have 31 players on my roster after the cuts and trades to get back under the cap. I have around 15 picks in this draft.

My strategy will most likely be to trade this years 1st and 2nd rd picks for next years picks or more late picks in this draft. I will only be able to afford some later round picks to build my team. I would like to have atleast 45-50 guys on my roster going into the season.

This coming year I will have to free up more space by trading some of my big contract guys. For instance, QB Jack English and LT J. Jackson who both make over 10 ML per year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Understandable. I usually like to trade certain players when they only have 1 year left on their contract and I don't plan on re-signing them. That way I get some draft picks.
Yep, I do the same thing.

Quote:
This year I did that with the players I could but was still in the negative on salary-cap.

Going into the draft I currently have $2 ML to spend. I really dont want to get rid of anymore of my players but i also want to be able to sign some draft picks. I currently only have 31 players on my roster after the cuts and trades to get back under the cap. I have around 15 picks in this draft.

My strategy will most likely be to trade this years 1st and 2nd rd picks for next years picks or more late picks in this draft. I will only be able to afford some later round picks to build my team. I would like to have atleast 45-50 guys on my roster going into the season.

This coming year I will have to free up more space by trading some of my big contract guys. For instance, QB Jack English and LT J. Jackson who both make over 10 ML per year.
I dunno... this version of your franchise may be unsalvageable. I had to restart my Packers for similar reasons - if you've got that many highly-paid players, that few on the roster, and are still stretching for cap room... yikes. You may want to cut your losses and nuke it from orbit.

This is one of the issues the Lions (and other historically bad teams) have: top 10 picks cost a boatload of money and one bad pick borks your cap for years. Even if you have a string of good picks, you've got a peaks-&-valleys financial outlook with a few highly-paid players surrounded by peanut-boys. Bad NFL teams need to get good quickly or they're screwed in the long haul.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »