Home

Draft / Contract question

This is a discussion on Draft / Contract question within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Draft / Contract question

Hey I know its great to grab a good 90+ POT sleeper in the 7th round and we all enjoy it. But I was woundering if anyone can tell me when I draft a person in say round 1 how long will the contract be for? and round 2 etc...
I think round 1 = 5 year deal but after that I'm clueless and Tired of drafting a sleeper to a cheep 2 year deal when Id rather pay afew extra k and have it be a 3 or 4 year deal

Ideas on what rounds = how many year contract ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Draft / Contract question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlinton
Hey I know its great to grab a good 90+ POT sleeper in the 7th round and we all enjoy it. But I was woundering if anyone can tell me when I draft a person in say round 1 how long will the contract be for? and round 2 etc...
I think round 1 = 5 year deal but after that I'm clueless and Tired of drafting a sleeper to a cheep 2 year deal when Id rather pay afew extra k and have it be a 3 or 4 year deal

Ideas on what rounds = how many year contract ?
7th round and UDFAs are one-year deals, which is why I avoid them if possible.

If I remember right, 3rd-6th = 3 years, 2nd is generally 4 years and 1st varies from 5-7 years depending on how early the player is drafted. All that's from the top of my head, though, so I could be wrong.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Draft / Contract question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDMG
7th round and UDFAs are one-year deals, which is why I avoid them if possible.

If I remember right, 3rd-6th = 3 years, 2nd is generally 4 years and 1st varies from 5-7 years depending on how early the player is drafted. All that's from the top of my head, though, so I could be wrong.
My memory is only slightly different...and I could be wrong (I'm not currently in front of the game). 3rd through Early 7th all come up as three year deals. Some late 2nd might also be 3 year deals. Mid to late 7th are two year deals. The UDFAs are one-year deals. I'm not exactly sure where (or why) that cutoff is in the 7th round between 3 and 2 year deals, but I think it is around pick 200. I know I have had early 7th rounders sign to 3 year deals.

The problem with one and two year deals is that you don't get the benefit of that 4th year Restricted Free Agent. The RFA, for me, makes a 3 year deal as good as (perhaps better than) a 4-7 year deal. You either get 1) that person back another year at a pretty good price, 2) some draft picks, or 3) a longer-term contract a bit lower than you could have gotten on your own. I've noticed a level 4 tender on that 90+ potential will keep the competing offer that you have to match reasonably low (presumably because that team is also having to calculate the loss of a 1st and 3rd pick.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »