Home

Cutting players after signing a draft pick?

This is a discussion on Cutting players after signing a draft pick? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Cutting players after signing a draft pick?

The computer is automatically cutting some of my players after I sign a draft pick. Why is that? my cap room is ok, a few million left. Im only at 48 players....cant be too many. Any clues?
Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Cutting players after signing a draft pick?

The only thing I can think of is you must have given up some control over your signing and releasing.

if you go into the coach's menu you'll see a section with a lot of options to change your philosophies. Make sure you have "Give up no control" set for everything you want complete control over.

there is also a part where it says "Prefers _ Million in cap space"
if you only have a few million left that could be why they're cutting players.

A few million isn't really ok cap space. If you have potential incentives, you're going to be in trouble. How does your cap look for next year? You might be screwed.

I like to keep around 10-20 Million. That way I can resign guys, and don't worry too much about players contracts going up the following years. However, I don't have any veterans that are eating up a ton of cap space.

Last edited by DocBean; 07-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thank you! I will try give up no control. I have it set at a little control. I have it set to prefers 1 million...I have over 12 mill available. Next Year I have over 25 mil available.
I dont give out incentives...maybe 500K to a backup just to resign him...knowing he will never start 16 games for me!
I am like you, I like young players, I love to scout and draft the young talent...not veterans making too much!
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Actually I had this happen to me once and I had full control of everything (first thing I checked when it happened.) I had just traded for Alonzi Simms during the middle of my rookie signing period. The second I signed Selvin Lankford (the #15 pick that year), Alonzi Simms was immediately released. Simms was on his rookie contract as a second round pick and when I checked Salary Cap Status it showed me with about 8 million free, which couldn't have been freed up by releasing Simms because of a cap overage. It boggled my mind, as well as pissing me off because I liked having Simms on his rookie contract and he refused to sign a new contract for the next year and a half (might have gone longer if not for an accidental game deletion) forcing me to franchise him when he still should have been on that rookie deal. 'Twas my only ill memory of that franchise.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDMG
Actually I had this happen to me once and I had full control of everything (first thing I checked when it happened.) I had just traded for Alonzi Simms during the middle of my rookie signing period. The second I signed Selvin Lankford (the #15 pick that year), Alonzi Simms was immediately released. Simms was on his rookie contract as a second round pick and when I checked Salary Cap Status it showed me with about 8 million free, which couldn't have been freed up by releasing Simms because of a cap overage. It boggled my mind, as well as pissing me off because I liked having Simms on his rookie contract and he refused to sign a new contract for the next year and a half (might have gone longer if not for an accidental game deletion) forcing me to franchise him when he still should have been on that rookie deal. 'Twas my only ill memory of that franchise.
Did you maybe sign a new GM? If so, there may have been a stipulation that he would have authority to cut players as he saw fit, but that's just a guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
Did you maybe sign a new GM? If so, there may have been a stipulation that he would have authority to cut players as he saw fit, but that's just a guess.
Nopers. I'll give up things to get great coaches, but I would never give up any power to a GM, no matter how good he was.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »