Home

I Didn't Know This...

This is a discussion on I Didn't Know This... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
I Didn't Know This...

I didn't know:

1. When you play the game in "Supersim Mode" that you don't get the true 120 plays like the NFL. In my 3 games playing i only had a total of 80 to 90 plays.

2. I also thought when you "supersim" or "Sim" that players ratings mean't something. It doesn't, as far as OL/DL. Again i put my QB to play LT and my HB to play RT and my Safeties to play both guards positions and my CB to play Center. I had (1) sack the whole game?!?!?!?

Everytime i try to get back into this game, things like this ruin the experience. Why waste time drafting high level OL if it doesn't matter even in supersim or sim games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: I Didn't Know This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone
I didn't know:

1. When you play the game in "Supersim Mode" that you don't get the true 120 plays like the NFL. In my 3 games playing i only had a total of 80 to 90 plays.

2. I also thought when you "supersim" or "Sim" that players ratings mean't something. It doesn't, as far as OL/DL. Again i put my QB to play LT and my HB to play RT and my Safeties to play both guards positions and my CB to play Center. I had (1) sack the whole game?!?!?!?

Everytime i try to get back into this game, things like this ruin the experience. Why waste time drafting high level OL if it doesn't matter even in supersim or sim games.
For #1: The reason why is the game runs off 45-50 seconds per run play/successful pass play under their accelerated clock feature. The accelerated clock runs till like 2:30 left in first half, 4 min left in 2nd half.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone
I didn't know:

Because this game relies so much on coaching points, the ratings aren't going to be 100% accurate all of the time. The out-of-position people you put in for the O-line may have an outstanding O-line coach, with all sorts of special skills in pass-blocking, so that may skew the results.

Also, I read that in Madden the ratings actually don't go below a certain threshold (i believe it was 40) no matter what. So if you put a safety at the guard posistion, his pass/run blocking rating will actually be 40 instead of, say, 12 or something. Can't remember why they did this, though.

Over a full season you should see a statistical difference but in one game you may not. I believe the developers wanted to make sure that a 70 something DE had 4-6 sacks a year, while the 90-something DE had 9-15 sacks a year (or something along those lines). Which if you think about it, over a course of a season, is not that big of a difference considering the amount of pass plays defensed (4 sacks over 450 pass attempts vs. 10 sacks over 450 pass attempts).

Also, as posted somewhere on this board, the developers stated that the realism of ratings increased if you play the game as opposed to supersimming, simming it. Playing the game used thousands of dice rolls, supersimming used hundreds of dice rolls, and simming used tens of dice rolls.

I ran the same experiement as you a few months ago, and got comically bad performances, so I'm OK with it, even if it's not perfect.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

In regards to clock issue, if you play the game is there an accelerated clock for that or is it just in supersim?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

If you play the game with 15 min quarters then the accelerated clock is on, otherwise its off.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »