Home

Coach hirings

This is a discussion on Coach hirings within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Coach hirings

Got a question for you fine people. As far as hiring new coaches, I try to look for ones that have a POTENTIAL of atleast 4 if not 5 in playcalling, chemistry, performance and strategy.

However I just noticed something I didnt see before. At the top of one of your coaches like lets say an offensive coordinator. It says what playbook he uses up there.

Since I use the Holmgren West Coast, if I hire an offensive coordinator that uses a different playbook (like Martz Air Attack), is that going to hurt me? Even if he has all 5's in the major categories?

Will he just need to learn the new playbook of mine or something?

Appreciate all your answers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Coach hirings

Whoa hold on. How can you see all their potentials before hiring? And two where do you see a playbook?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Banned

You can see their potentials by saving the game first, then hiring them and then looking at the develop coaches section. The playbook is at the top of the coach information screen. (Same place where you see their potential)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

From my understanding and experince, u do not change playbooks, instead u are supose to get the option of adding some of their plays to ur playbook...
Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Some questions on calling plays:

1. Does playcalling do any good for your HC? I remember Josh said playcalling is only useful for a HC if he ever becomes a coordinator.

2. If you give control to a coordinator, whose playcalling skill is used-the HC or the coordinator?

3. Are playcalling, strategy, or team chemistry useful for position coaches? I'd think they would only be useful if they were to become a OC or DC in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Some questions on calling plays:

1. Does playcalling do any good for your HC? I remember Josh said playcalling is only useful for a HC if he ever becomes a coordinator.

2. If you give control to a coordinator, whose playcalling skill is used-the HC or the coordinator?

3. Are playcalling, strategy, or team chemistry useful for position coaches? I'd think they would only be useful if they were to become a OC or DC in the future.

From what I understand your players get directly affected by your positional coaches first, then the coordinators, then the HC. I wanted to make sure that my positional coaches had atleast a 4 in performance, doesn't matter about chemistry, playcalling because they aren't calling the plays.

I also make sure that my coordinator playcalling is ATLEAST a 4 in potential even if thats not their current level, I can spend the points to get them there.

I have a solid coaching staff for my Skins now that I've fired almost all of the old ones. I even was able to get Jim Caldwell as my offensive coordinator who has a 5 potential in playcalling and is VERY good with HB's, QB's and WR's.

My defensive coordinator is Pepper Johnson who is a beast of a playcaller...also a level 5.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

In the philosphy screen where u give up control and all that there is a option where u can select who calls ur plays it is in the same area as blitz heavy or light and what defense or offense u are... For ur questions...

1. If u give either one of those options to ur head coach then the playcall skill will only matter if u decide to sim the game...

2. The coordinator's playcall will be used in sim or delagating plays in game, other way around if u give head coach control...

3. They are only useful if u plan on making them coordinators, but the team chemistry may be useful while they are position coaches...

Hope that helps...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

I recently was going through the coach hiring period, and I found something interesting: if you save right before the wildcard games, the coaches you get will change. For example, say Minnesota beat Dallas; you would get one set of coaches to hire. If the reverse happens; you'll get another set of coaches. It's somewhat limited because there are only 8 wildcard teams, but it is a way to get better coaches than the ones you would get if you save right before you evaluate your coaches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »