Home

For anybody who's played Madden 10 extensively...

This is a discussion on For anybody who's played Madden 10 extensively... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
For anybody who's played Madden 10 extensively...

...find it hard coming back to Head Coach? Since the dropping of the second patch I've been playing Madden exclusively but I feel it's going to be hard to come back to Head Coach. The gameplay in Madden to me is outstanding. While the gameplay in Head Coach is ok. I just feel when I play Head Coach again I'm going to be disappointed by the gameplay.

Now what draws me back to Head Coach is the off-the-field stuff. Head Coach's off-the-field options are unmatched. From the Draft, to free agency, to practice, to game planning, to any other off-the-field option you can think of. I'm hoping Madden implements ALL of the off-the-field options from Head Coach. At that point you would have the ultimate football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: For anybody who's played Madden 10 extensively...

I have went back to head coach. The only thing that really bothers me about head coach is the inability to have a consistently solid rushing attack no matter how much you spend on it. I know it is possible to put up solid or even big numbers rushing the ball, I have had multiple 2000+ yard 25+ TD seasons but it is still impossible to truly establish the run as a consistent threat, especially in running situations on either early downs or short yardage situations. The running game is always more of a big play threat and not nearly enough of a solid consistent option like it should be. The one thing I have been able to do to overcome that is supersimming the running plays.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

I just went and bought HC 09 again last night. I havent played madden since the first week the second patch dropped and I wanted to get my franchise fix...Still trying to figure out what playbooks and plays I want to try and run...and what team as well(any suggestions for something that would be fun?)

I went back to playing 2k5 and was having more fun with that then with madden. It just feels like the players have more life to them and their ratings have more weight. But its franchise mode is crazier then madden's so I couldnt keep up with it.(I did draft a QB that was going to be the next P. Manning and he was exciting to use but to many other bugs to keep at it)

I tried 2k8 and kinda liked it but again lack of franchise lead me straight back to HC 09. To each his own.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 01-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I have went back to head coach. The only thing that really bothers me about head coach is the inability to have a consistently solid rushing attack no matter how much you spend on it. I know it is possible to put up solid or even big numbers rushing the ball, I have had multiple 2000+ yard 25+ TD seasons but it is still impossible to truly establish the run as a consistent threat, especially in running situations on either early downs or short yardage situations. The running game is always more of a big play threat and not nearly enough of a solid consistent option like it should be. The one thing I have been able to do to overcome that is supersimming the running plays.
I don't understand how people are having a hard time rushing the ball. When I was playing this game extensively, I was having great success with the run. But I did have Michael Turner and an offensive line that was good at run blocking. Turner in all the years I had him had 1000 yards seasons except for one because he was hurt for half the season. One year he had a 1600 yard season. And this was using default sliders.

That is the one thing I like about this game because it's all about personnel and ratings.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
MVP

I don't know, I have a pretty good oline although some are young and need to develop. That is probably usually my problem, I give up too early. I have had great running seasons though and know how to run within the system but I have found no way to really run successfully on early downs. I mean I can occasionally get a decent run on 1st down and I get more 20+ and 50+ yard runs than I would really like to see. Despite great olines and running backs though, have had lines with all 5 guys 90+ overall, and 90+ on all run block ratings 95+ in almost all along with a couple future 50 guys on the line, one as my back, and a very good fullback and blocking TE yet I cannot consistantly gain positive yards running on first down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I just went and bought HC 09 again last night. I havent played madden since the first week the second patch dropped and I wanted to get my franchise fix...Still trying to figure out what playbooks and plays I want to try and run...and what team as well(any suggestions for something that would be fun?)

I went back to playing 2k5 and was having more fun with that then with madden. It just feels like the players have more life to them and their ratings have more weight. But its franchise mode is crazier then madden's so I couldnt keep up with it.(I did draft a QB that was going to be the next P. Manning and he was exciting to use but to many other bugs to keep at it)

I tried 2k8 and kinda liked it but again lack of franchise lead me straight back to HC 09. To each his own.
Yeah, sure wish 2k8 had a franchise or 2k5 had a few more years to develop but HC seems like the best option for now. A couple playbooks that I have tried that have been fun recently were one I made off of the option run one edited to add even more option running plays. With that one I drafted josh johnson and xavier omon to handle the backfield and it worked pretty well although johnson can't pass. I also built one with pass plays from the tech spread passing one and then added in a set of I-form and power I type sets where my fullbacks and TEs really help out a lot allowing me a good change of pace. I have tried pittsburgs as a power running game which was alright and I also like sean peyton's as a passing offense.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Yeah, sure wish 2k8 had a franchise or 2k5 had a few more years to develop but HC seems like the best option for now. A couple playbooks that I have tried that have been fun recently were one I made off of the option run one edited to add even more option running plays. With that one I drafted josh johnson and xavier omon to handle the backfield and it worked pretty well although johnson can't pass. I also built one with pass plays from the tech spread passing one and then added in a set of I-form and power I type sets where my fullbacks and TEs really help out a lot allowing me a good change of pace. I have tried pittsburgs as a power running game which was alright and I also like sean peyton's as a passing offense.
If I could I would think about moving Johnson to RB because I have had some insanely good results using him in goaline sets in at RB. It may be his BC and speed. I think I will take a look at getting a mobile QB or a RB that played some QB(McFadden comes to mind) and try those types of plays. I will add in some pro style offense with some of the shot gun sets.

On defense, I have always hated the cover 2 systems. They almost always give up 4+ yards every run(it may be the sliders but I am still trying to find a slider set I like again) I tend to draft to many LBs and DBs for my own good so I may look at a 3-3-5 4-4 or various other sets that would favor my excessive draft style. What would you suggest for D and sliders?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

You know, I really liked Maddens on-field play, this is mostly because the sliders work very well. You can truly address shortcomings in gameplay with the sliders, which helps immensely. Unfortunately, QB read logic is kinda weak, though it is more realistic in completing more shorter routes.

The thing about HC and why the sliders are less effective is that coaching is very important. At the same time, this could have been fixed if the game wasnt abandoned so soon.

I came back to HC because it is a much better overall product, even with its current problems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »