Home

Passing strategy

This is a discussion on Passing strategy within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Passing strategy

Does anyone have any resources as to which pass patterns work best vs different types of coverages? I want to add to my playbook for certain teams and situations. Using the Hammerill one at the moment, it has some good plays in it, but there aren't a lot of plays overall. I want to add some 2 min drive plays too with sideline patters. Along these lines does anyone have any favorite patters combined together that help to get WRs open? I wish we could make option receiver routes. There are a few in the default playbooks though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Passing strategy

I have always had success with the hook and go route. Every play that I have used with that one has proven to be a threat to make some big plays.

For deep passes mixing posts, corners, and streaks really works well as it will spread the deep help leaving guys one on one deep and will flood any deep zones creating openings. I like to either have the slot run a post and the wide guy run a streak or the wide guy run a corner and the slot run a streak.

Crossing routes work pretty well when you have time to attack the middle as long as you have someone running a streak to clear away deep coverage.

I really like using slants with my TE in the redzone but you can use any big reciever there too.

Using hammermill's playbook he uses speed backs so if you are going with that I have had a lot of success on anything motioning a back out of the backfield and running either posts or corners. I had one that I used with leron james that was like a garunteed 40 yard catch whenever I ran it. Had the wide out on the left running a streak and the TE on the right running a corner which took the safeties deep and leron would motion to the left the run a post route. money, every time. No LB was going to keep up with him.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Passing strategy

Yeah, I started with KC and simmed a year with hammermill(from preseason, so no new draft) and went 3-11-1 and promptly got fired. However I went to the Redskins who had the number 1 pick and took Jack English, LeRon James, Riley CB from Texas and WR Bellows. English is good but he has issues throwing over the middle. Seems to be where all of the picks he has comes from. I'm 2-2 so far. They went 2-14 last year. I'm also using the Tampa 2 D with Pepper Johnson as my D coordinator. I had to keep the Snyder clone as my GM so I basically took everyone who the draft preview listed as a sleeper, since Snyder can't scout that well. I may keep Snyder just for the challenge, going forward. I should be able to improve him enough to where he's serviceable, already got one special skill for him. As for patterns, so far the best ones are crossing routes against streaks, he can usually find the right guy in those.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »