Home

Anyone using a west coast offense?

This is a discussion on Anyone using a west coast offense? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Anyone using a west coast offense?

have you gotten any success using the west coast playbooks?

and does anyone know what the best philosophies would be for a true "Bill Walsh" style west coast?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Anyone using a west coast offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermajor23
have you gotten any success using the west coast playbooks?

and does anyone know what the best philosophies would be for a true "Bill Walsh" style west coast?
Okay, I know it may be late at answering this, but since no one else has I will try and take a stab at this... First off I have used a West coast playbook before and it was the Seahawks... I did fairly decent with it, but the packers and buccs are also pretty decent ones too... First off u need to know how it works, it uses a quick, horizontal passing attack to set up the running game...

The objective of the West Coast Offense is to:
  • Spread the defense out horizontally as well as vertically, forcing slower linebackers into coverage.
  • Maintain possession of the football by utilizing a short passing attack almost as an extension of the running game.
  • Create mismatches with speed, size, or number of receivers.
  • Avoid tendencies that defenses can key on by throwing on any down and distance.
When it comes to ur philosphies:

Quarterback - More of a focus is placed on decision-making and accuracy over arm strength in this system. A quarterback must be able to choose from multiple options and deliver the ball quickly. Mobility is also a big plus. My call would be either a Field General or a Pure Passer, but make sure to check there mobility, around 70 should be suitable...

Running Back - In the West Coast Offense, running backs are generally used more as receivers out of the backfield than in other systems, so you need a guy with all-around skills. Good hands and route-running skills are a must. My call would be either Receiving or Balanced, the latter would allow them to be well rounded and able to do alot of different things... (same for the fullback position)

Tight End - The tight end’s role is generally that of a possession receiver and blocker. The ability to catch the ball in traffic is a huge plus. On this one u could really go in sereval different ways, balanced probably the most suitable, but then I like H-backs... U could also look at playmaker or Soft Hands/Routes depening on what type of plays u have that goes to the Tight Ends...

Wide Receiver - With the focus on a short passing attack, precision and timing are of the utmost importance, so receivers have to run precise routes. Straight-line speed isn’t as important as an ability to separate in traffic. And an ability to make plays after the catch can turn a good receiver into a superstar in this offense. This one hands down has to be at Quick/Route Runners... Also I would make sure they are at least 6'0 and up as they do alot better than smaller receviers in this game...

Offensive Linemen - You’re generally not trying to pound the ball on the ground in the West Coast Offense, so guys who can consistently blow defenders off the line aren’t necessary. Actually quicker, more mobile linemen are more ideal because of their ability to pull or get outside in a rolling pocket on plays designed to get the quarterback outside. This one could also be set at balanced, but u could also go with Zone or Pass block, as I would suggest Zone Blocking more than the others...

The ones that are underlined are the ones that I would chose, but u are more than welcome to chose what u feel is the better choice... I also have to give credited for these descriptions to James Alder on About.com...

I hope this helps u and anybody else looking to run a West Coast Style offense...

Last edited by edward_1385; 03-11-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

I agree with edward_1385 except for a couple of points
The pourpse of the west coast offense is to use the short pass to set up the the pass rather than the run to set up the deep pass.
QB- San Fran proved the west coast offense could either be run with a field genereal (Joe Montana) or a scrambler (Steve Young) I would not go pure passer because mobility is key because sue to lack of blocking if you cant quickly find your open recievers QBs have to improvise
HB and FB - Recieving - West Coast offenses use everyone of the pield as recievers much more than blockers
TE - Playmaking - wont be used to block much - TEs are really important in West Coast offenses
WR - Possession - I really dont understand why you would want to waste speed deamons running short patterns take big guys with sure hands and leave the speedsters for the spread offenses - tall redzone threat works too
OL - Pass Block or Balanced - depends on if your planning to run the ball a little or not at all - I personially dont like Zone Blocking
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

thanks. those were the answers i was looking for.

which west coast playbook in the game should i use as my base playbook?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

I perfer McCarthy west coast because of the full house formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »