Home

Could Have been GOAT sports simulation

This is a discussion on Could Have been GOAT sports simulation within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Could Have been GOAT sports simulation

I looked at this game again the other day. You know, it is so near perfect... if the on-the-field action was more balanced and realistic, this could have been a legend game in the sports sim category. I wish EA had authorized a gameplay patch or 2 or at least developed a subsequent year release.

I mean look at how many of us are still talking about the game. That doesn't happen often for sports titles, this much later after initial release, you know?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Rookie

cocacolaman's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Could Have been GOAT sports simulation

I agree 100% I loved this game, I have been looking to see if anyone is modding the PC version of the game to have current draft classes.....no luck so far. If they would just patch the game and offer the draft classes as a add on I'd buy the add on for sure.

This was the #1 sports sim game of all time for me.....no contest.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Pro

SuperChargers's Arena

OVR: 10

While I love this game I recently discovered text-sims. If you love the depth of the season and super sim games or straight out skip them and only focus on the offseason like I do then you will love them too. Front Office Football 2007 is hands down the best football simulator ever
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Rookie

cloudedskate's Arena

OVR: 11

What do you mean by GOAT?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudedskate
What do you mean by GOAT?
GOAT = Greatest of all Time

I've never really been into sports sims, but this game is awesome. I can't call it GOAT because I haven't played a ton of sports sims, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Seriously Lacking in Some Areas

It is ineligible for GOAT in several areas:

1. 15 year limit of play -> Huge weakness, many of the top games allow you to start at any point in the history of the league and play for 100's of years. In my baseball sims I often play the Pittsburgh Pirates starting in 1900, and take them right up to present day (or beyond with a fictional draft).

I think the best version of this game would give you the option to pick a start date between year X and the present (X being the year they first got the right to use NFLPA names). I for one would have a great time starting in say 1995 and playing through to 40 years into the future.

2. 1 set of scouting data, and memory intensive player stats -> They use bigger numbers than necessary on a lot of the player stats and don't store them efficiently. Storing scouting information for all 32 teams would be expensive in memory as a result so they shortcut this by having the other teams work off your scouting data (This is why who you scout affects who other teams draft).

3. Lacking options: Would like the option to have randomly generated draft classes rather than just premade ones. Also perhaps an iron-man mode.

4. Balanced Offense: It would be nice if in the in-game mode you could actually run a balanced offense with a good combination of runs and passes. It would also be nice if the AI keyed in on things you did too often so that passing on 100% of plays actually got punished.

5. Sideline detection: Most of the screens in the game are ineffective because sideline detection is problematic, this makes the game very blitz happy as trying to punish a blitz with a screen isn't a remotely reliable play.

I agree that there are certainly issues with the actual in-game gameplay, but there are issues with the outside engine as well.

It's a good game that's a lot of fun, I love the way free agency works and the interface is much better than the previous head coach (also far faster load times). But it's far from the GOAT.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Rookie

jweaks's Arena

OVR: 3

1. 15 year limit of play -> YES

2. 1 set of scouting data -> Hmmmm? I have never seen this happen. Players I scout stay in their unscouted order, but reflect a higher or lower number and other teams do not appear to know what I know.

3. Lacking options: randomly generated draft classes -> YES

4. Balanced Offense -> YES

5. Sideline detection: -> OMG YES
Old 04-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I love this game despite its faults. But the best sports simulation ever is Football Manager (a soccer sim). The depth is simply unparallelled imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »