Home

Offensive playbooks

This is a discussion on Offensive playbooks within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Icon5 Offensive playbooks

I'm looking to start a whole new career but I am not sure which playbook to go with.

Post your favorites and the typical stats it creates.

For example

Martz-

QB passes for 5,000 yards, 30-40 td's 20-30 int's
RB 600-700 yards rushing
WR is big pass receiver

Spread Offense
QB: 5,000 yards, 40-50 td's, 20-3on int's
RB 400-600 yards rushing
TE is big pass receiver, usually 100 catches 1,400+ yards

PAyton

QB???
RB has a bunch of receptions and yards.

What are the other great playbooks? Do any of them lend to a QB with a high completion percentage, most of the time the top guys are 61-63% and I want to get a guy with 70+%, break Montana's record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Offensive playbooks

I just finished the English draft path with the McCarthy West Coast playbook. Here are my results from that particular playbook:

QB Stats - 4000 - 4300 passing yards / 66-70 Comp. / 8-19 INT / 50 TD
RB Stats - 1800 - 2300 rushing yards / 25 - 30 TD
TE Stats - Play-maker - 800 - 1200 REC. Yards / 12 - 15 TD

I just started a new path using the College Attack Offense but no results yet.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Rookie

Oops forgot to mention...

One year my QB (D. Pryor) had a 73% Completion Percentage with the McCarthy playbook. He passed for about 4200 Yards, 52 TD & 8 INT. Unfortunately, his stats decreased slightly afterwords. The AI seemed to compensate by switching my opposing teams to a Cover 3 defense.

Pryor is an excellent QB, but he always had trouble throwing into Cover 3 for some reason. His Comp % decreased to an average of 66-68% and his INT's increased to 16-19. With Madden, I could have helped him by manually taking control of the passing game, but I actually prefer Head Coach's approach.

Last edited by zadokguy; 06-30-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadokguy
Oops forgot to mention...

One year my QB (D. Pryor) had a 73% Completion Percentage with the McCarthy playbook. He passed for about 4200 Yards, 52 TD & 8 INT. Unfortunately, his stats decreased slightly afterwords. The AI seemed to compensate by switching my opposing teams to a Cover 3 defense.

Pryor is an excellent QB, but he always had trouble throwing into Cover 3 for some reason. His Comp % decreased to an average of 66-68% and his INT's increased to 16-19. With Madden, I could have helped him by manually taking control of the passing game, but I actually prefer Head Coach's approach.
Thanks man I will give that a shot
Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

Sorry but I don't pay attention to stats at all cant help. Why would you go with an offense that gets you better stats when you could be using an offense that helps you win games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigtoe
Sorry but I don't pay attention to stats at all cant help. Why would you go with an offense that gets you better stats when you could be using an offense that helps you win games?
When winning the game becomes a given, for me it becomes how I win. Do i want to have 2x 1000 rushers, or qb run for 1000, or 3 x100 catch receivers.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Rookie

I don't really use the pre-made books; I create my own. I've got this pass-happy 4-wide offense I run. I don't like the RNS book in the game, so I put one together myself. It's not a true RNS, but it sure does put up those kinds of numbers.

QB: 5700+ passing (with elite QBs, over 6000), around 60-65% comp. 700-800 passes a season, around 60 TD/25 Ints a season. Average QBs usually max out at about 5000 yds passing though.

RB: anywhere from 500-700 yds rushing, another 500-700 receiving. Around 8-10 rushing TDs a season.

WR: at least 80 catches, 1000+ yds each. I've had seasons where all 4 starting WRs have had least 100 catches and 1000+ yds receiving.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97
I'm looking to start a whole new career but I am not sure which playbook to go with.

Post your favorites and the typical stats it creates.

For example

Martz-

QB passes for 5,000 yards, 30-40 td's 20-30 int's
RB 600-700 yards rushing
WR is big pass receiver

Spread Offense
QB: 5,000 yards, 40-50 td's, 20-3on int's
RB 400-600 yards rushing
TE is big pass receiver, usually 100 catches 1,400+ yards

PAyton

QB???
RB has a bunch of receptions and yards.

What are the other great playbooks? Do any of them lend to a QB with a high completion percentage, most of the time the top guys are 61-63% and I want to get a guy with 70+%, break Montana's record.
I generally use a modified version of the Steelers playbook. Steelers playbook, unaltered, is really run heavy, so I generall have a rusher up around the 1,500 yard mark. But my QB's do well too if they are good QB's. It's not the playbook that keeps me from throwing 4,000 yards a season, it the fact that I run most of the time.

I would imagine most playbooks that give a high completion percentage would come from those that have a lot of passing plays going to the RB and the TE's. Seems like a lot of the times those kinds of things are open over the middle. Most any West Coast system, like McCarthy, Reid, Shanahan and so on, should give you higher completion percentages. Playbooks made for deeper routes will likely lower the %. It's just easier to complete short passes than long ones from a % standpoint.

Better players, regardless of playbooks, will give you better results. If you stock up on talent across the board, you can go nuts passing or running with most any playbook. If you play it with more attention to the cap and building the team in the image you want, you get more realistic results. It's more the level of talent and how you actuall call the plays that matters, but it sounds like West Coast offenses are what you're looking for if you want to go the Montana route with your QB. Just make sure the QB has good accuracy ratings, or it won;t make a difference :P

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »