Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: New Dolphins Career

Game Review:

Dolphins 23
Jets 20

Overview:
This was a real close one. Josh Johnson found Braylon Edwards in the endzone for the game winning TD with 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter on a Wildcat play. John Beck was average (17-32, 224 yds, TD, INT) but the Wildcat plays worked great with Johnson (5-6, 101 yds, TD). We had virtually no rushing game but Braylon Edwards and Brandon London were on fire, catching 7 passes each.
As expected the Jets were unable to throw it (80 passing yds, INT) but had a strong ground attack with their two power backs. While we could keep Thomas Jones under control (4.0 avg) we were unable to stop LenDale White (89 yds, 2 TD) who broke a big run for a 68 yd TD in the 4th.
Akin Ayodele who switched from ILB to ROLB, had a good game defensively, racking up 9 tackles (3 TFL). FS Sandrick Raines had 5 tackles and a pick in his NFL debut and CB DeMario Waddell didn't allow a single catch in his debut. Either the Jets passing game really stinks or our secondary is much improved (or both)... Dan Carpenter was solid as ever, making all of his 3 FG's.

During the Week:
JaMarcus Russell threw for 444 yds and 4 TD to win AFC Off. Player of the Week in the first Raiders game of the Gary Hammermill era. Glad he's not in my division, too bad he's in my conference ;-)

Game Preview, Week 2 vs Kansas City:
No injuries on our side but the Chiefs are without DT Glenn Dorsey and G Brian Waters which might hurt their inside running game. I expect a similar game as last week, the Chiefs are a run-first team just like the Jets. They have two receiving threads in Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez and a very good RB in Larry Johnson. Last year at Arrowhead me made Damon Huard look like Dan Marino, hopefully we'll do better this time...
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #34
Pro

Game Review:

Chiefs 27
Dolphins 9

Overview:
Both QB's couldn't do much but the Chiefs had a much better running game (Larry Johnson: 19-104, 2 TD). John Beck was 14-29 for 178 yds. No TD or INT. We held the Chiefs to just 123 passing yds but were unable to stop their run. Our Offensive Line gave up 6 sacks which is way too much to be successful. Josh Johnson was a non-factor in this game as the Chiefs brought too much pressure to run the Wildcat. They consistently challenged CB Anthony Henry who gave up 8 catches. After holding Jerricho Cotchery without a catch last week, CB DeMario Waddell shut out Dwayne Bowe this week. FS Sandrick Raines had back to back games with an INT to start his career. Promising start for our two rookie DB's.

During the Week:
Nothing to report.

Game Preview, Week 3 vs New England:
Both teams are injury free. Last year we suffered two blowouts against the Pats and I fear it might be the same this season. We are simply not yet ready to compete with the best teams in the league. And the Patriots are without doubt one of the best teams (along with Indy, Philly and soon probably Oakland).

Game Review:

Patriots 30
Dolphins 6

Overview:
A big loss, as expected. John Beck was terrible (6-18, 64 yds, 2 INT) and Josh Johnson added a pick on a Wildcat Pass. Rookie QB McCoy played in the final quarter and was promising (3-4, 74 yds, TD). Tom Brady threw for 317 yds and Lawrence Maroney added 78 on the ground. Again, we couldn't get our running game going. Kenton Kasom really needs to learn the PB! Our O-Line only gave up 2 sacks but couldn't open any running lanes. LB Bart Scott was outstanding with 10 tackles (3 TFL), a sack and 11 hurries and Sandrick Raines kept his INT streak alive, picking off a Brady pass in the 2nd quarter.
There will be easier tasks than the Pats but my Approval is down to 40 so we'd better win some games soon...

During the Week:
Nothing to report.

Game Preview, Week 4 at Buffalo:
We still have no injuries (a good Trainer really seems to help), Buffalo is missing FB Lorenzo Neal and LB Junior Seau. They have a good defense and a balanced offense so it won't be an easy game. However, last season we had a huge victory over them and everything seemed to click. Hopefully this year will be the same... We'll try to establish the run early on (so that Kasom gets some play knowledge).
Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #35
Pro

Game Review:

Dolphins 34
Bills 24

Overview:
The offense really clicked and our pass rush ended their hopes of a comeback. A big hit by OLB Tony Bake knocked Trent Edwards out and his backup Shaun Hill performed poorly. Marshawn Lynch had two big runs (40+ yds). John Beck played exceptionally well (16-29, 286 yds, 3 TD) and we didn't turn the ball over at all. Josh Johnson had some nice Wildcat plays (passing and running). Our RB trio got a lot of carries today but I figured out that Kenton Kasom is not really suited for my running style (I run a lot of power plays out of the Maryland I Formation). Kasom (8-22) simply dances too much around instead of hitting the hole with authority. Jonathan Steward (13-64, TD) and Sedrick McCoy (6-49) are better fits for that style. I'll probably use Kasom, who got injured in the 3rd quarter, more in a Reggie Bush type of way, moving him all over the field. Braylon Edwards had a monster game (8-200, TD) and Ted Ginn hauled in 2 TD catches (including a spectacular one-handed grab to tie the game at 7 in the 1st Q). Even CB DeMario Waddel had 3 catches but he also lost a fumble. On defense he was solid, limiting Lee Evans to just 2 catches. Tony Bake had a career game on defense with 3 sacks. Bart Scott was a constant force against the run and Sandrick Raines improved his INT streak to 4. CB Anthony Henry also had a pick which he ran back for six. On the downside, Dan Carpenter missed 2 easy FG's and we had some injuries (Ayodele, Kasom, FB Tolbert), lets hope they're not too serious.
Due to some winning this rivalry game and going for it on some Defining Moments, my approval is up to 81 (from 40). What a difference one good game can make...

During the Week:
RB Kenton Kason will be sidelined 4-5 weeks with a left leg injury.
CB DeJuan Tribble will be out 3-4 weeks.

Game Preview, Week 5 at Houston:
We are without one of our 3 RB's (Kasom) and Houston is without their best WR (Andre Johnson) and their backup RB (Slaton). I'm not sure if John Beck can repeat his performance from last week. He's been really inconsistent so far with some great games and some (more) mediocre games. We'll see...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #36
Pro

Game Review:

Dolphins 7
Texans 28

The rollercoster ride continues with this loss at Houston. Our offense couldn't get anything going, although this time John Beck cannot be blamed too much (11-18, 131 yds, TD). He doesn't turn the ball over that much this season
We had absolutely no running game (11-12) and the trick plays were ineffective. On the other side, Matt Schaub took our defense apart for 233 yds and 4 TD's (1 INT). Most of his passes went to Jacoby Jones (10-112, 3 TD) who torched Anthony Henry all day. On defense, Akin Ayodele had a good day (11 tackles and a pick) and Sandrick Raines' INT streak finally ended.

Off-Topic:
I have a theory: When you super-sim games, a Cover 2 defense is unstoppable. I always wondered why some teams with average talent (Bucs, Bills, Texans) are perannial Playoff teams in this game. I change between playing the games and super-simming them. I play the even weeks (Game 2,4,6...) and super-sim the uneven games (1,3,5...), not counting the bye week. When I play against teams with a Cover 2 (Buffalo last week) I usually have no problems beating it by flooding certain areas of the field and shifting players around. When I super-sim the games I usually lose against Cover 2 teams.

Do you guys have similar experiences facing Cover 2 teams?

During the Week:
Guard Twan Waters was resigned to a new 5-year contract. He came to training camp as an undrafted FA and locked down the starting RG spot.
Kicker Dan Carpenter, Cornerback Will Allen, Defensive End Lionel Dotson and Fullback Mike Tolbert have all signed one-year extensions.

Game Preview, Week 6 at Tampa Bay:
Kasom and Tribble are still out for us, Tampa is without Tackle Luke Petitgout, backup C Sean Mahan and backup RB Carnell Williams. They have a good Offensive Line but no real playmakers at the skill positions. On defense, some of their former star players (Brooks, Barber) are getting older but we'll have to be careful not to give their very good safeties many chances to make plays. A key matchup will be Jake Long vs Gaines Adams...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #37
Pro

Game Review:

Dolphins 27
Buccaneers 17

Overview:
DeMario Waddell got us the lead with a 52 yd INT return TD on the first play from scrimmage. On the very next play (after the XP and kickoff) a big hit by Bart Scott knocked Bucs QB Brian Griese out of the game. He had to be replaced by Luke McCown who played surprisingly solid (256 yds, 2 TD, 2 INT). In the first half we had some trouble stopping their outside runs which lead to several long drives for Tampa Bay. However, luck was on our side this time. Every time the Bucs were about to score they turned the ball over. Tony Bake recovered a fumble at our own 2 and Sandrick Raines had 2 INT's in our own endzone (he now has 6 picks in 6 games). Raines also had 14 tackles. Bart Scott continued to dominate on inside runs, racking up 3 TFL and 2 sacks and DeMario Waddell didn't allow a single catch. Aside from Randy Moss he shut out every receiver he faced this season (ok, Lee Evans had 2 catches for about 15 yds so it wasn't technically a shutout).
Offensively our ground game compensated for a mediocre John Beck (14-28, 220 yds, INT). Sedrick McCoy, Jonathan Steward and Josh Johnson combined for 168 rushing yds and 2 scores as Jake Long manhandled Gaines Adams all day. Braylon Edwards had 8 receptions for 194 yds but he also dropped an easy TD and lost a fumble on a screen pass (do screens work for you guys? my QB usually holds on too long to the ball).

During the Week:
Starting RE Vonnie Holliday got injured during the Bucs game and will be out 4-5 weeks. Lionel Dotson is expected to start in his place.
Sanrick Raines has won AFC Defensive Player of the week (14 tck, 2 INT).
Defensive End Dre Moore signed a one-year extension.
RB Sedrick McCoy signed a long-term extension. Details were not disclosed.
TE Anthony Fasano signed a one-year extension.

Game Preview, Week 7 at Atlanta:
Atlanta is without DE John Abraham, DT Trey Lewis and LB Omar Gaither. For us Kasom, Tribble, Barton and Holliday are out. Tribble and Kasom might return for next week.
The Falcons have a very good RB tandem in Michael Turner and Jerrius Norwood. The also have a solid TE in Alge Crumpler (I usually have trouble defending against a TE). We'll play 8 men in the box for most parts and I am confident that DeMario Waddell can keep Roddy White under control. As their CB's are pretty average, we'll try to find Braylon Edwards early and often. Let's see if they have someone who can defend him.

Game Review:

Dolphins 10
Falcons 7

Overview:
This was not a game for offensive-minded fans... The first score came after 53 minutes of play when Sedrick McCoy found the endzone on a 4 yd run. In the first 3 quarters neither team reached the opposing red zone (or even FG range). Both defenses dominated their counterparts for three and a half quarters. After our score, Matt Ryan directly answered with a nice drive, finding Ovie Mughelli in the endzone with about 1:30 left to play. Ted Ginn set us up with a nice kickoff return (to about our 45) and two Josh Johnson Wildcat plays later (a 17 yd run and a 20 yd pass to Edwards) we were set up for the game winning FG with 0:04 on the clock and Dan Carpenter did his job from 37 yds. Needless to say John Beck didn't play well in this one (and by that I mean his play was disgusting, 16.3 QB Rating, 2 picks). Josh Johnson made some nice plays (4-6, 74 yds) I'm seriously considering to increase his role. Atlanta was couldn't pass the ball either (aside from that one drive at the end) and heavily relied on Michael Turner (24-97) but he was controlled by our front 7 (should I even mention that Bart Scott led us in tackles and TFL???). DeMario Waddell didn't allow a catch yet again. So far he looks like everything you could wish for in a Cornerback... No picks for Raines this time...

We have reached our well deserved bye week before the Titans come to South Beach in two weeks from now.

During the Week(s):
OLB's Tony Bake and Angelo Craig signed one-year extensions.

Game Preview, Week 9 vs Tennessee:
As Chris Johnson is highly underrated in this game (79 OVR) the main task will probably be to contain dual threat Vince Young. He doesn't have many weapons to works with but he's playing behind a good O-Line and I just figured out my Playbook doesn't have any QB Contain plays in it. I'll have to find different ways to defend him. I'm confident we can control his passing game but I have no idea if we can stop his scrambling ability. Running against big Albert Haynesworth (back in the days when he actually had a desire to play) won't be easy but Kenton Kasom is back from injury so we're not completely stuck with our power running game. The Titans usually have a very aggressive, blitz heavy 4-3 defense, so expect a lot of quick passes, screens and maybe some pitches. I don't expect our Wildcat package to work well against their defense so Josh Johnson's role increase probably will have to wait another week or two...
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
Pro

Game Review:

Titans 54
Dolphins 38

Overview:
This wasn't pretty. We were already down 33-10 by halftime. The Titans had a lot of big plays on special teams (they returned a punt for a TD, sacked our punter for a safety and pinned us inside our own 2 yrd line 3 or 4 times). In addition to that their defense returned a fumble for a TD. We couldn't stop Vince Young all day but it was not his running ability that gave us problems, it was his passing and his ability to elude pressure and buy time in the pocket. Aside from a 53 yd TD we held Chris Johnson for negative yardage (13 for -2) but Young was 15 for 20 (231 yds, 3 TD).
We also had some key injuries. John Beck left early in the 2nd, Braylon Edwards followed him to the locker room just after halftime and on defense we had injuries to Bart Scott and Anthony Henry (his replacement DeJuan Tribble was torched all day). Our passing game didn't work at all in the first 3 quarters but Kenton Kasom had a great day running to the outside (9-141, 2 TD). DeMario Waddell had a good day on defense, holding Justin Gage to 1 catch and returned a kickoff for a TD in garbage time.
Looks like my style of offense is better suited to beat a Cover 2 defense and not so well suited for a pressure defense when I acutally play the games. If I super-sim it's the other was round...

During the Week:
WR Braylon Edwards will miss next week's game at Jacksonville with a bruised ellbow.
CB Anthony Henry will be out 2-3 weeks.
Adam Schefter just reported about 'Wide Right 5'. The Hurricanes defeated FSU once again on a missed FG. Those nice little things in the game make me smile and it really adds something to the game...

Mid-Season Report:
At 4-4 we are on target to achieve my season goal of 8-8 (although the owner would be happy with 6-7 wins). Our main problem is our inconsistency, above all at the Quarterback position. We have 3 completely different Running Backs so we should be able to adjust our running game to the opposing defense. We have a good change-of-pace QB in Josh Johnson and a good young O-Line. We need help at Receiver (aside from Braylon Edwards, whose contract is expiring) and we need a Franchise Quarterback.
On defense, Tony Bake is getting better with every game as our Rush Linebacker but he's a one trick pony and can't do anything but go after QB's. We need a DE to replace injury prone Vonnie Holliday and we definately need an upgrade at Strong Safety. James Sanders is not the answer. Another shutdown Cornerback across DeMario Waddell would also be great.

As for the draft, I suppose we'll be picking somewhere in the middle of the pack (between 12 and 20, depending on how we finish the season). We also have the Falcons' 2nd rounder, which would be #33 as of now (the Falcons are 0-8). There are a couple of nice QB's in this draft class. One guy from Arkansas has a Vince Young comparison so he'd probably be a very good fit for our offense. There's are two good Strong Safeties to watch out for. One is a better run stopper/hitter, the other is better in coverage. We'll have to decide which one suits our defense better (any guesses???).

Game Preview, Week 10 at Jacksonville:
Braylon Edwards is out, as are Holliday, Henry and Barton. Jacksonville are missing RB Maurice Jones-Drew as well as Defensive Linemen Cornelius Griffin and Quentin Groves. With MJD out backup Kenton Keith will likely get most carries but he doesn't scare me so I'll put strong emphasis on stopping the pass. Running up the middle against John Henderson will be difficult so I hope 'Mr. Inconsistency' John Beck has one of his better days. Their secondary is pretty good (espacially CB Rashean Mathis).

Game Review:

Dolphins 3
Jaguars 20

Overview:
Wow, this was awful... None of our 3 QB's could move the chains. Beck (11-25 for 109, INT) and rookie McCoy (5-11 for 73) played bad and Johnson's Wildcat plays didn't work (0-2, INT). Kenton Kasom got injured early on and the other RB's couldn't find holes in their D-Line. Neither David Garrard not Kenton Keith did much damage as our defense played pretty well but with just 3 points and 6 first downs it's hard to win a game. 9 penalties for 106 yds didn't help either...

The last two games have been really frustrating. Two weeks ago we were 4-3 with a decent chance at a wildcard playoff spot. Now at 4-5 we'd almost have to win out the season to make it, which is almost impossible, given we have a QB who tends to throw games away every once in a while.

During the Week:
Nothing to report.

Game Preview, Week 11 at New England:
We are missing Barton (IR) and CB Henry. The Pats have zero injuries. As always against New England, I don't think we have a chance and I hope to avoid a blowout this time. Avoiding dumb mistakes (e.g. turnovers, penalties, drops, missed tackles) and not completely losing the field position battle (kicking, punting, return game) should help. Let's get the basics right first...

Last edited by burnum; 12-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #39
Pro

Game Review:

Dolphins 16
Patriots 55

Overview:
Another blowout loss, even worse than expected. This reminds me of the Broncos' loss vs Oakland earlier this season (real life NFL, not HC). Beck threw 4 INT's, all of them returned for TD's. Our offense scored only 3 points, the touchdowns came from a DeAngelo Nails fumble recovery and a Ted Ginn kickoff return (missed XP). We didn't even play Tom Brady and Randy Moss for most of the game as both were injured in the first half. Talk about fundamentals (see Game Preview): We had 6 turnovers and 14 penalties for 79 yards (everytime I called my favorite running play one of my O-Liners jumped early, add some PI's and holdings to that).
No stats today, I am officially frustrated.
Contemplating to give up on this season (4-6, heavy schedule remaining) and make some personnel changes (looking at you, Mr. Beck)...

Off-Topic:
Playing against teams with really good coaching staff is really frustrating. Those teams seem unbeatable. 14 penalties (about 10 false starts)??? 4 pick sixes??? Chris Redman throwing like Tom Brady??? A 71 OVR rookie WR catching like Randy Moss??? And all off a sudden your defenders can not tackle anyone??? Your Kicker can't even make extra points anymore???

I really like the way this game works. But the coaching aspect in the game (espacially 'Performance') is vastly overrated. Sure, a great coach can turn an average player into a good player. But he can't turn a bench warmer (like 60-70 OVR) into an all-pro (like 90+ OVR).

I am somewhat frustrated right now.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #40
Pro

During the Week:
The Miami Dolphins officially announced a change at Quarterback. DeAngelo McCoy, a 7th round rookie out of Cornell, will start this week against Buffalo. John Beck will be on the active gameday roster as a backup.
LB Reggie Torbor will miss this week's game due to a minor injury.

Game Preview, Week 12 vs Buffalo:
Buffalo has no injuries, aside from their 3rd TE. We only have our 3rd ILB out (Torbor). What should I tell you about gameplanning and all that stuff??? I hope our new QB performs better than the old one and doesn't score 24 points for the OTHER team...
We'll try to stop their run first.

Game Review:

Bills 27
Dolphins 3

Overview:
McCoy was 13-30 for 160 yds and a pick. No running game either. When super-simming games I just can't beat a Cover 2 defense. Braylon Edwards is playing for a new contract and had 3 drops. FS Raines had another pick. Marshawn Lynch dominated with 20 for 120 yds and a score. There goes another season... At least nobody got injured ;-)

During the Week:
LB Bart Scott and RB Jonathan Stewart got injured in practice and will be out indefinately.

Game Preview, Week 13 vs New Orleans:
We are without Scott and Stewart, the Saints are without Reggie Bush, OT Todd Wade and TE Jerramy Shockey. We'll try to establish the run early on to take some pressure off our young QB. On defense we'll have to stop the Brees-to-Colston connection. Both teams enter this game at 4-7.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »