Home

3-4 or 4-3? Defense???

This is a discussion on 3-4 or 4-3? Defense??? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
3-4 or 4-3? Defense???

I am looking to start a new franchise and am at a loss as to what type of defense to run. I am horrible at defensive play calling and want something that will not make me so vulnerable to the pass. I get carved up with the pass and it gets annoying.

I want to know what works best and what should I try?
3-4? 4-3? Cover 2? 46?
What are the best playbooks to use for said schemes?
Is blitzing the way to go? Man or zone coverages?

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking to start the franchise tomorrow so I'm hoping for some quick feedback.

Thanks, fellas
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: 3-4 or 4-3? Defense???

Cover 2 schemes own in this game unless it's just a super good passing team like Indy or New England. I prefer a nice zone blitz defense with both 4-3 and 3-4 formations.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Rookie

Zone blitz...sounds like a plan to me. What is a good playbook to use or team defense to emulate in the beginning so I know what route I am headed?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

My favorite scheme is a blitz heavy 3-4 man coverage defense. BUT...I'm constantly frustrated by the lack of serviceable 3-4 LOLB's, RE's and LE's in these draft classes. Man cover corners can be hard to get too once you start winning and draft later in the first round. (but I'm cheap)

I think running a 4-3, especially playing cover 2, is a lot easier from a personnel standpoint.

(Then again, I have yet to run a 4-3. Maybe I'll switch my 'chise over and eat my words.)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rohr
I am looking to start a new franchise and am at a loss as to what type of defense to run. I am horrible at defensive play calling and want something that will not make me so vulnerable to the pass. I get carved up with the pass and it gets annoying.

I want to know what works best and what should I try?
3-4? 4-3? Cover 2? 46?
What are the best playbooks to use for said schemes?
Is blitzing the way to go? Man or zone coverages?

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking to start the franchise tomorrow so I'm hoping for some quick feedback.

Thanks, fellas
If you want to learn to become a better defensive play caller, you might want to use the play creator to see how different plays and coverages work. Open it up, pick some stock defensive plays and see how they fare against the selection of pass plays the demo runs. Don't create new plays, just mess around and see how things happen.

Another way to work it is to play some "Coach Now" games with a variety of different teams and defenses; don't concentrate on winning, just watch how plays & coverages work.

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about defenses - have fun doing so!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Rookie

browns_nation's Arena

I'm biased because defense is my side of the ball and even in a video game the 3-4 gives so much versatility. I run the 3-4 pressure. I'm 3 years into a browns franchise and struggled immensely my first season, I put up alot of points on offense but I couldnt stop anyone. I've gradually gotten better through FA and the draft. thats kind of the thing about this game, unless you're say....the steelers, ravens, or patriots, defense seems to be the hardest side of the ball to do well with, at least it has been for me.

I give up legitimately 14-17 points a game and can generally take away the run altogether however as I'm sure you'll realise, this game is very pass happy, especially in the last 2 minutes of the game. The computer becomes unstoppable and nothing you do will work. its immensely frustrating, especially since you cant call audibles.

To make your life (or your game) easier, choose the cardinals defense, they have both a 4-3 and 3-4 scheme so you can change it up and see what works best for you. I'll warn you though, if you play against peyton manning, prepared to get shredded.

good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Flummoxed if I know how to stop the pass. I can totally shut down the run, but I rarely am able to keep any QB under 300 yards passing. I especially seem to give up big passing yardage in the 2 minute drill.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rohr
Zone blitz...sounds like a plan to me. What is a good playbook to use or team defense to emulate in the beginning so I know what route I am headed?
I use Rex Ryan 4-6.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »