Home

Salary Cap problem

This is a discussion on Salary Cap problem within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Salary Cap problem

So, I am in the first preseason with the Cleveland Browns and every week I am cutting players like I am supposed to. I am trying to avoid guys that cuz me to take a cap hit. Anyway, I though I did that well, and when I wasn't 100% sure I would just use the GM suggestions. Anyway, by the first week of the season it said I really f'd up the salary cap and was fired. What am I doing wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Salary Cap problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody31992
So, I am in the first preseason with the Cleveland Browns and every week I am cutting players like I am supposed to. I am trying to avoid guys that cuz me to take a cap hit. Anyway, I though I did that well, and when I wasn't 100% sure I would just use the GM suggestions. Anyway, by the first week of the season it said I really f'd up the salary cap and was fired. What am I doing wrong?
Were you cutting players with signing bonuses? You'll take a penalty every time you cut or trade a player with signing bonuses.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Rookie

jjkwik's Arena

OVR: 2

Just as helpful advice, dont trust the GM suggestions. often times thats how people get in trouble with the cap. the GM doesnt look at cap stuff, he just cuts the worst players regardless of cap penalty. I once did a franchise with the raiders and in about my 2nd season i had managed to get a couple of young qbs and he suggested i cut Jamarcus Russel despite the huge cap hit it would have put on me
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Rookie

hmm, I didn't think I was. I'll have to start from my past save and look again. Or maybe I'll just start over.

I assumed my GM knew what he was talking about. When I needed to cut 4 guys, picked 2, but couldn't decide on the last two I let him pick.... I won't do that anymore
Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Rookie

Also, while I'm here I have a Health and Fatigue question.

My guys are getting injured like its no bodies business. Edwards, Winslow, Cribbs, Vickers, etc... it's really bad. I am letting the tired/hurt guys sit out of practice and I am canceling practice when its needed. And I mean its the preason, they aren't even playing full games.

Am I doing something wrong again?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Always check out the GM suggestions before agreeing to cut a player. Just slow the speed down, jump over to Roster and go through the motions of cutting the player. There, it will tell you what cap space it will save you as well as what cap hit it will cost you to cut a player. Try not to cut players unless there is a lot more room than cost to cut. For example, if you can save 6 million to cut a player that has a cap penalty of 1 million, that's not bad since it's a 5 million net gain. If something isn't that much of a gain, or will cost you more than yoyu will free up, don't do it. Unless you have a load of cap space already available. If you have 40 million in cap space, and want to unload a huge contract, that's a good time to do it. It's all balancing cost vs gain. A lot of it depends on how much cap room you have to start with. If your cap room is extremely low, you may wind up having to cut players you don't want to and keeping some players you'd rather cut simply due to costs.

For injuries, some players are just extremely prone to injuries. Winslow is always going to be out of games. He just has a low injury rating. Check on the players card from the Roster menue to view individual rating like Injury Rating and so on. I think a players toughness rating factors in as well as far as returning to games and recovery goes, but I'm not sure on that. Not much you can do about low rated players there. Older players also are more prone to injury and fatigue. The game keeps track of hits and injuries and they accumulate. So you can have older players who max out on lower health or fatigue numbers. or, you can have a young player who sufferes a particularly bad injury who never fully recovers to the levels he was before. Like Clinton Portis in one of my careers. His health never got above somewhere between 70-80. His body has just taken a lot of punishment. Sitting him out a whole season would not have raised his ratings. Last, check your trainers ratings. Lower rated trainers result in more injuries and injuries lasting longer because the trainer doesn;t diagnose them well and such. There are skills for trainers dealing with injury diagnosis, recovery, and fatigue levels. Could be your trainer isn;t particularly good.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Omg ... hmm, I didn't think I was. I'll have to start from my past save and look again. Or maybe I'll just start over.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Rookie

ok thanks for the help. I really though the GM suggestions would be ones that didn't F up the cap, but I guess I can't trust anyone

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »