Home

Something different...

This is a discussion on Something different... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Something different...

Has anybody actually tried delegating all the GMing to the GM? For instance, allowing the GM to decide who to re sign and who to draft etc. Is this even possible?

It would add a new dynamic to the game where you would have to alter your coaching to suit the players that the GM brings in. Obviously the head coach isn't left in the dark about all these things and you could play as much of a role as you want.
I was just thinking out loud, or in this instance typing them.

This game has definitely consumed my thoughts over the last 2 weeks since I purchased it. Over that time I have played 53 full length games not including time spent altering drafts and my roster etc... Wow.

I imagine if I had spent even half that time studying for my Management exam tomorrow I would be in good shape to do well. As it stands head coach is literally the only thing on my mind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Something different...

your not alone at times i don't study for my tests this game is time consuming.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Rookie

Grizz83's Arena

OVR: 1

I tried this with the dolphins once picked them for the good GM. But he got a little trade happy during the draft and traded away the 2009 draft for magic beans.

Just tried it again with the bears (again solid GM), with better results, trimmed down settings for trades. had a good draft and FA. unfortunately he signed Trent Dilfer as a Field General QB. Not that I pass much due to being loaded at RB with R. Rice, J. Brittingham, C. Houston, C. Benson, the surprisingly effective A. Peterson, and G. Wolfe.

The rules I set up for myself:
GM does all drafting, trading, and contract negs.
I pick the 5 UFA's, and sign any FA's to fill spots from IR'ed players (I admit I am generous handing out IR's "ooh Benson stubbed his toe and will be out for 5 mins...IR'ed")
I do the scouting
I make cuts and set depth chart.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

I'm playing around with this in my current Dynasty.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-win-baby.html

Unfortunately, there are some limits as to what the GM will do. If you sim the draft, or advance to my next pick, GM will make trades and selections. It makes for a pretty different experience to only set the draft board and let the GM do the trades and selections. They often do some crazy stuff, but it definitely makes it interesting...and then you have to work with what they gave you, instead of getting to hand pick your guys.

Unfortunately GM won't negotiate contracts or even pick who to negotiate with. The Owner will set goals for you to resign certain guys sometimes.

I've also never had the GM initiate a trade outside of the draft.

You can let the GM make roster cuts in training camp, but they generally do a poor job of it, and that is traditionally more the job of the Head Coach.

I definitely recommend letting the GM do the draft, it can make for some interesting results and really forces you to pay closer attention to your draft board...at least it did for me. Be careful though as you have to use Advance to my next draft pick to get the GM to trade (or I assume any of the advance options?) and if you do, you can't adjust your draft board on the fly. I don't know if draft board adjustments when it is your pick will affect who your GM suggests, as I think he makes the suggestion based on your board when your turn comes up, not when you click on see his suggestion. Could make for some interesting testing to see how it works.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

I play this game to do all the gm stuff. Why would i let the game do it? Defeats the purpose right

Just call me Sanchez
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

ME ME ME. I want the control, not the GM. Even though it isnt totally spot on, it gets my fix in. Play the hand your dealt, right? great point though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »