Home

Coaches Potential

This is a discussion on Coaches Potential within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coaches Potential

Is there any way to increase a Coach or Gm's potential? I know some of the special skills do but I'm not sure what they upgrade and how much they upgrade? And I haven't seen anything that can increase a Gm's potential does anyone know if this is possible or do I have to just keep trying to find a Gm with a higher potential in most area's...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Coaches Potential

Most coach skills that raise levels of other coaches skills don't increase potential. About all of them I've looked at just seem to say they will give you free raises to skills where available. The only skill that expressly says it raises potential in any way is Motoivator, and that's for players, not coaches.

I never fool around with high level upgrades because it makes the game way too easy, but most of what I'm looking at now just says it will raise levels, not potentials, for coaches. Mentor is worded kinda funny though, so it's a bit hard to tell. I personally never used it, because I'm not going to spend 50,000 points on a skill that's a one shot deal and only works for coaches currently on your team when you take it. It's easier for me to just hire coaches in the offseason.

The way that the game expressly states that Motivator "increases the Potential (Max)" for all players makes me think if any skill did the same for coaches, it would be laid out as clearly as that. Adding levels, which things like Leadership and Educator do, just sound like they do the same thing you would do by spending points to increase a coaches level, not their potential.

As I said, I never used them, so maybe someone will come along and tell you I'm way off base here, but that's just how I read it. Regardless, I haven't seen anything that mentions raising a GM's potentials either.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangels19
Is there any way to increase a Coach or Gm's potential? I know some of the special skills do but I'm not sure what they upgrade and how much they upgrade? And I haven't seen anything that can increase a Gm's potential does anyone know if this is possible or do I have to just keep trying to find a Gm with a higher potential in most area's...
There's no way to improve a GM's potential that I know of. The Special Skill Superb Strategist is the bomb-improves your HC's potential in Strategy by 1 and it improves the potential for all skills for all subordinate coaches by 1. So if you have a DC with 4 Performance, SS will bring him to 5.

Leadership will increase all development skills by 1, but not their potential. It's best to get Super Strategist and then use Leadership to fulfill the added potential.

Mentor will increase the potential by 1 for the basic skills-Strategy, Performance etc. It doesn't touch the development skills though.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
There's no way to improve a GM's potential that I know of. The Special Skill Superb Strategist is the bomb-improves your HC's potential in Strategy by 1 and it improves the potential for all skills for all subordinate coaches by 1. So if you have a DC with 4 Performance, SS will bring him to 5.

Leadership will increase all development skills by 1, but not their potential. It's best to get Super Strategist and then use Leadership to fulfill the added potential.

Mentor will increase the potential by 1 for the basic skills-Strategy, Performance etc. It doesn't touch the development skills though.

Thanks for the info.

I figured most of that and have gotten Superb Strategist and Leadership. I kinda figured Mentor would increase potential but I didn't know what it increased. I thought Superb Strategist increased only strategy (i.e. Performance, Strategy, Play Calling and Chemistry), And I thought Mentor increased Development, While Educator Increased everything, But I haven't gotten Mentor or Educator yet and I been trying to set up my coaches so that I could get As close to max potential as possible. I was just wondering if Mentor or Educator increased the Gm too. The trainer doesn't seem to be affected by Leadership or the others but again I haven't gotten Mentor or Educator and I was wondering if anyone has, knew if it increased The Gm and what Mentor and Educator increased (i.e development or Strategy or both) or if it affected the Gm and Trainer
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
Rookie

Anyone know of a future low rated GM in the game with a High potential in most categories? The only perfect potential Gm I know of is Polo though I'm guessing you have to give up tons of control to get him and I have never seen him fired. Was wondering if anyone seen a low rated Gm with high potential that you could build up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Rookie

jjkwik's Arena

OVR: 2

The GM for Miami from year one has really good potential in a lot of categories, and he is almost always fired after the first season.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

The Superb Strategist, Leadership, and Mentor skills can give you a coaching staff that can have a potential of 4 or 5 in most categories. The issue really is finding coaches with good personalities that won't leave. I always had issues with Caldwell, Katkavage, and the Colts WRC trying to leave at the end of the season because of their personalities.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

On that note, the only Packers coach who has ever voluntarily bailed is Winston Moss. Everybody else is a home-body and seems oriented to stay until retirement - it's a very stable staff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »