Home

Hurry Up Offense, What's Happening

This is a discussion on Hurry Up Offense, What's Happening within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon9 Hurry Up Offense, What's Happening

During the last 2 minutes of each half the CPU will go into a hurry up mode. The last time out is usually saved for the last 10 seconds. Other time outs are used if the clock is running after a play and there is less than 1 minute left on the clock.

My confusion concerns what happens on those plays where the clock doesn't stop and the CPU team goes directly into the next play. The human player doesn't get a chance to call a new defense but the CPU appears to change it's play. It certainly changes formations sometimes.

Am I stuck in the last defense called until the clock is stopped?

Is there an assistant coach or player on the field changing my defensive play but not the personnel? Last night I was in a simple Dime Zone package with the Middle LB blitzing when the hurry up began. Then I noticed that on the next two plays my RE was lining up in a LB position off the line of scrimmage!

I usually try to stick with generic defensive formations and just ride out the storm but if my defense (but not my personnel) is being changed on the field I may need a different approach.

How do you handle this part of the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Hurry Up Offense, What's Happening

usually the cpu is consistent when it starts hurry up, inside 2 mins, gets a first down and its on their 30-40 and over a min to go with time outs. if im in my base 3-4 but last play was an attempted run stop then im in trouble. i may call a timeout or wait for a stoppage then change to a package that is varied so maybe 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 and call a generic play, 2 man under or cover 3 something like that.

and yes your guys can change formations when cpu hurries up to a few default plays probably linked to your dc's playcall ability
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

IIRC the CPU typically calls its first two timeouts at one minute and at twenty seconds, respectively.

You aren't stuck in a base defense call - the CPU takes over play calling for you, and it's not that smart about it. For example, even though I may have quarter (3-1-7) defense personnel on the field and usually play man coverage, the AI switches automatically to a 4-3 zone defensive play with quarters coverage deep and three hook-zones underneath. Needless to say, the 3rd safety isn't very suited for playing on the defensive line. (I've been ever so tempted to remove that play from my playbook and see what happens.)

I've heard - but not verified - that one can make play calls through the supersim menu in the two-minute drill.

In the best scenario, you run the two minute drill yourself and leave the other team with virtually no time left on the clock to quickly drive down the field.

In the next best option, you force the opposing team to go three-and-out by calling good pass defense plays and using timeouts when necessary after complete passes. I usually wait until just before the other team is going to snap the ball (about 8 seconds after a typical completion) before calling my time-out in order to milk the clock.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

I've been letting my defense call the plays and using Release adjustments, but I still get too many passes completed. I may look to see what plays are being called, and use Press instead.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Banned

TrufflesEater's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Dealer

How do you handle this part of the game?
Curse and swear a lot. One of the top 10 annoying things about this game.

I try to make sure I'm in a basic passing down defense (standard nickel or dime, for instance), but even that doesn't always help; I've created about 3 dozen special "radical" plays (with, say, a 2-1-8 formation), and when the CPU calls one of those I tend to turn green as I watch a defensive lineman line up in and try to cover a deep zone or go man-to-man against a wide receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
MVP

first play i tend to run a run defense with 3-4, depending on result and field position i may time out and switch to zone or man with 8 dbs, and if its hail mary then swop 2 des/dt for any dbs/best coverage lbs. for example my 1st and 3rd mlbs are 82/92+ fs/ss so i get them to drop. its a crap shoot, its horrid vs the pats and colts. havent experienced anyone worse than thos 2 for steroid 2 min drill
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrufflesEater
I've created about 3 dozen special "radical" plays (with, say, a 2-1-8 formation)
I actually created a play from the 1-5-5 scheme where the DT drops into spy coverage and the other 10 players drop into various types of other coverage. It's hilarious; the QB gets confused and takes awhile to make a decision (vital in a 2 minute drill), and usually he forces it into coverage. It doesn't always work, but I just get a kick out of calling it. Of course you have to have a team than can play that kind of defense.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
MVP

same here, use 1-5-5 or quarter 3 deep as base

3 best s or cb at zcv in 3 deep, best next 5 zcv in hook (3 middle 2 hook edge/curl) rush 3 or get best lbs/remaining dbs at zcv put them as 3 dline and spy one/2 flat or spy/2 contain or 3 more hook etc. qb does head in and wastes lots of time. field position matters along with who qb/wrs are. can convert to man closer to your end zone. other thing that affect how good your defence are players awr/prc

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »