Home

How to best learn playcalling?

This is a discussion on How to best learn playcalling? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
How to best learn playcalling?

Those of you who consider yourselves excellent play-callers, where/how did you learn? I've been trying to call more and more plays with my current franchise, and while I've had some success, I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. I've spent some time on wikipedia learning what different terms mean exactly, but I'm still not sure where or why I'd want to use a given play.

Examples: why would I want to use cover 3 instead of cover 2? why/where would I want to use either option instead of man coverage? what would make me want to use a quick pass instead of a standard pass? I understand what the idea behind a play action pass is, but where would I want to put it in my rotation, when my opponent expects me to run (3rd and short)? Does the game even pay that much attention to what I have done/should do? And of course vice-versa for counter runs... etc.

Does learning this stuff make a big difference? so far I've done... ok with it. Mostly against mediocre teams. I'm facing the colts this week, and since I'm on a "no-reset" diet (for my own games anyway), I'm afraid that they're going to tear me up even worse if I use poor strategy. My head coach is set to call both offense and defense, and he has a 4/5 strategy and a 5/5 playcalling, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just let him auto-call stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: How to best learn playcalling?

First, recognize the limitations for the Game AI or your coordinators calling plays-They will only call plays within the base playbook.So if you're running with a custom playbook, they will not expect any of the plays out of the base formations. In other words, you can expect the Game AI to use the plays in Ask Coach.

I used to go with Ask Coach exclusively, but now I tend to use plays that show up in By Success or By Agenda to supplement it. In rare occasions, I will go through plays by formation or by play type. One other thing, it pays to build up Play Call with all coaches, because it improves the play selection that shows in Ask Coach.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
I used to go with Ask Coach exclusively, but now I tend to use plays that show up in By Success or By Agenda to supplement it. In rare occasions, I will go through plays by formation or by play type. One other thing, it pays to build up Play Call with all coaches, because it improves the play selection that shows in Ask Coach.
can you elaborate on the "by agenda" option? i don't even remember that being in there.

I found "ask coach" often gives me garbage.

I mostly use "by play type" but I don't hit at least 1/2 of the options available there.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
can you elaborate on the "by agenda" option? i don't even remember that being in there.

I found "ask coach" often gives me garbage.

I mostly use "by play type" but I don't hit at least 1/2 of the options available there.
Gameplan choices-it's an alternative way to call the plays you picked in gameplanning.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Rookie

so what would you say would be the best way to pick plays that are likely to be successful against your opponents tendencies. is there a short-cut way to do it (like having all coaches high on strategy and playcalling, then use "ask coach") or does it require knowing very in-depth football strategy and paying very close attention to your tuesday morning "these are the plays your opponent calls a lot" briefing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
so what would you say would be the best way to pick plays that are likely to be successful against your opponents tendencies. is there a short-cut way to do it (like having all coaches high on strategy and playcalling, then use "ask coach") or does it require knowing very in-depth football strategy and paying very close attention to your tuesday morning "these are the plays your opponent calls a lot" briefing?
I find that on defense, I can pretty much leave that on auto and the results will be pretty good. Only if I'm up against a really good team, will I have to look at playcalling there. Offense is a bit more complicated. With the less skilled defenses, Ask Coach by itself is sufficient.

With the more experienced coaches, you might look at a combination of gameplans, by success, and Ask Coach. I would think building up playcall and strategy with all coaches is a good idea. If you know the plays and how teams relate to them, by play type is a good idea. I generally don't, so I look at Ask Coach.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

Skarecrow, I've added a post to my thread talking about play-calling at some length; you're welcome to respond there too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »